This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timnatguill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I'm set on dental school, even right now I haven't even began pre-dental requisites and schooling. I got out of the Marine Corps 2014. I applied for disabilities with the VA 2015 and received %20. %10 for PTSD and %10 for tinnitus. I have not received any health care for either while active duty or veteran status. Both claims are very minor but still rate a disability.

Is the HPSP even at all possible for me with the %10 PTSD claimed?

Do you know anyone serving as a medical officer with PTSD?

Should I not disclose the information when applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Currently I'm set on dental school, even right now I haven't even began pre-dental requisites and schooling. I got out of the Marine Corps 2014. I applied for disabilities with the VA 2015 and received %20. %10 for PTSD and %10 for tinnitus. I have not received any health care for either while active duty or veteran status. Both claims are very minor but still rate a disability.

Is the HPSP even at all possible for me with the %10 PTSD claimed?

Do you know anyone serving as a medical officer with PTSD?

Should I not disclose the information when applying?

The only question I can comment on is the last one. You should absolutely disclose this information. Failure to do so, if it comes up after acceptance, can potentially led to monetary and legal repercussions. When applying to HPSP, you will have the pleasure of going through MEPS, so they definitely want to know about your current and past medical history.

Are you out of the Marine Corps entirely, or are you on IRR status?

If you are out of the USMC completely, your history of PTSD disqualifies you from induction. The VA disability isn't what DQs you, it's the diagnosis. The VA disability just makes it more formally ping on your records, but the same would have been the case were this a civilian-only diagnosis.

I know of a medical officer with PTSD, but the standards are different for retention vs. induction.

You have to disclose the information when applying. This is true for anyone, but since it will show in your VA records (and continue to show, even if you get re-assessed and your rating removed), it would be a particularly easy lie to get caught in. And if you get caught in a lie signing up for HPSP, there are bad, bad consequences when they come at you for the money. Don't go there.

You can get your DQ waived. They don't do this as often as they used to for the medical corps, but I have no idea how frequently this occurs in dental.

Are you out of the Marine Corps entirely, or are you on IRR status?

If you are out of the USMC completely, your history of PTSD disqualifies you from induction. The VA disability isn't what DQs you, it's the diagnosis. The VA disability just makes it more formally ping on your records, but the same would have been the case were this a civilian-only diagnosis.

I know of a medical officer with PTSD, but the standards are different for retention vs. induction.

You have to disclose the information when applying. This is true for anyone, but since it will show in your VA records (and continue to show, even if you get re-assessed and your rating removed), it would be a particularly easy lie to get caught in. And if you get caught in a lie signing up for HPSP, there are bad, bad consequences when they come at you for the money. Don't go there.

You can get your DQ waived. They don't do this as often as they used to for the medical corps, but I have no idea how frequently this occurs in dental.

^This^ I have had to write waivers for people with "GERD" when they are trying to enlist, join or go from enlisted to officers. Best case scenario is you would have to go for a waiver. If stable they may let you in.