This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SterlingMaloryArcher

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Senior Year of High School I thought it would be fun to take my classes at the community college (BAD IDEA) F in Spanish I, D in Sociology, D in Government, D in College Composition II. Not hard classes, just wasn't putting in the work.

I have read the related forums, I know, and accept, that it will bring down my cum. But how important is cumGPA vs recent term GPA's?

Freshman Year of College: Retook Span I, Sociology, and College Comp II, all A's. All other classes were A's.
Sophomore Year: I am confident I can end this year with all A's again.

Please give me your thoughts on my plan:

-Bio I/II at UVA in the summer session (as to not call question to validity of bio in community college.)
-One more year at Community College, do well
-Chem I/II at UVA in summer session again (same reason as above)
-3rd Year at UVA Econ Major classes, and organic chemistry I/II, and maybe genetics
-4th Year at UVA Finish Econ Major, Physics I/II, cell biology, and biochemistry
-Take MCAT
-Apply to Medical School
-Do Research in Gap Year

On the AMCAS app it would look like this (luckily it specifies "High School")

High School: 1.667
Freshman: 4.0
Sophomore: 4.0
Junior: ??? Probably slightly lower since (but hopefully still high) because of the adjustment from CC to UVA
Senior: ??? Hopefully higher than Junior! :)
Post-Bac: (will be left blank)

Do I still have a shot at getting into any good schools, if everything else is steadily maintained for four years after high school?

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep your trend high like that and no school in the country will care what you did in high school!

Reactions: 4 users
If you maintain a 4 for the next two years or like a 3.8+ I dont think it will be an issue.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do the best you can with your grades. Do very well on the MCAT. Work on your ECs. See where you are when you are a senior. I'm sure you'll be fine but a 4.0 for the next 5+ semesters might be unrealistic so just do as well as possible. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
If I did the rough mental math right your gpa is around ~3.5 including the HS stuff. Presuming you keep it up your cGPA will be high enough to get past any computer screen, at which point any human reviewing you will easily see the aberration. Keep up the good work

PS - would not retake a class you've already taken at CC but rather an advanced class

Reactions: 1 users
Senior Year of High School I thought it would be fun to take my classes at the community college (BAD IDEA) F in Spanish I, D in Sociology, D in Government, D in College Composition II. Not hard classes, just wasn't putting in the work.

I have read the related forums, I know, and accept, that it will bring down my cum. But how important is cumGPA vs recent term GPA's?

Freshman Year of College: Retook Span I, Sociology, and College Comp II, all A's. All other classes were A's.
Sophomore Year: I am confident I can end this year with all A's again.

Please give me your thoughts on my plan:

-Bio I/II at UVA in the summer session (as to not call question to validity of bio in community college.)
-One more year at Community College, do well
-Chem I/II at UVA in summer session again (same reason as above)
-3rd Year at UVA Econ Major classes, and organic chemistry I/II, and maybe genetics
-4th Year at UVA Finish Econ Major, Physics I/II, cell biology, and biochemistry
-Take MCAT
-Apply to Medical School
-Do Research in Gap Year

On the AMCAS app it would look like this (luckily it specifies "High School")

High School: 1.667
Freshman: 4.0
Sophomore: 4.0
Junior: ??? Probably slightly lower since (but hopefully still high) because of the adjustment from CC to UVA
Senior: ??? Hopefully higher than Junior! :)
Post-Bac: (will be left blank)

Do I still have a shot at getting into any good schools, if everything else is steadily maintained for four years after high school?

Thank you for your time.
i would stick to calling it "cGPA" and "cumulative" and not cum

Reactions: 8 users
@kb1900 seconded.

OP, I am familiar with this problem, having brought my 1.0 thanks to high school up to a 3.4 over four years of undergrad. It's tough, but really all you can do is get good grades. Your trend will show that you are capable, and the rest of your app should help you stand out (good ECs and PS).

Edit: clarity

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app