This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsJazz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning to take human A&P before taking the DAT (next cycle), but all my pre-dental peers talk about taking comparative versus regular animal physiology/vertebrate anatomy, so I can't really get much of a comparison among the three. Granted, since I'm not a biology major, human A&P is open for me compared to my colleagues who have to take either comparative or regular A&P. Since animal/vertebrate A&P and comparative don't focus specifically on the human body, I thought human A&P would be a better course to prepare for the DAT and dental school. Plus, since I'm taking microbiology in the fall, I'll have to wait and take comparative or regular A&P during the spring and summer since micro's a pre-req for them. I'm not sure I want to take them during the summer though.

I got to take a glimpse at the syllabi for human A&P from the various professors that usually teach it, and the course will be going over cell biology and histology (how deep I don't know, but they will still be covered), which I've read some human A&P don't go over. However, there is no cadaver lab. It is considered an allied health course, but it is under the biology department (instead of it being under kinesiology or other).

Just want some input on which I should really consider taking.

Members don't see this ad.

I was planning to take human A&P before taking the DAT (next cycle), but all my pre-dental peers talk about taking comparative versus regular animal physiology/vertebrate anatomy, so I can't really get much of a comparison among the three. Granted, since I'm not a biology major, human A&P is open for me compared to my colleagues who have to take either comparative or regular A&P. Since animal/vertebrate A&P and comparative don't focus specifically on the human body, I thought human A&P would be a better course to prepare for the DAT and dental school. Plus, since I'm taking microbiology in the fall, I'll have to wait and take comparative or regular A&P during the spring and summer since micro's a pre-req for them. I'm not sure I want to take them during the summer though.

I got to take a glimpse at the syllabi for human A&P from the various professors that usually teach it, and the course will be going over cell biology and histology (how deep I don't know, but they will still be covered), which I've read some human A&P don't go over. However, there is no cadaver lab. It is considered an allied health course, but it is under the biology department (instead of it being under kinesiology or other).

Just want some input on which I should really consider taking.

I would NOT take 2 heavy courses. Micro has a lab and so does Anatomy so 2 lab sciences may be overboard. Do Genetics instead. The end goal is to get an A in something. I never took Human A&P in college . I only did Animal Physiology in college and I got my MS in Anatomical Sciences. You will be fine with the comparative anatomy.

You don't even need anatomy for the DAT. You can teach yourself everything you need to know anatomy wise very easily.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't even need anatomy for the DAT. You can teach yourself everything you need to know anatomy wise very easily.

Couldn't agree more. Personally used AP Bio (cliff's) review book to study for that section and did fine. I'd strongly suggest not taking courses solely for the DAT because a lot of the review materials out there will prepare you extremely well. Your best bet is to take whichever courses allow you to perform well overall because your overall/science GPAs are a lot more important

You won't need a whole A&P course for the DAT but it is a requirement for some schools and recommended by most so it doesn't hurt to take it.