I Don't Get It!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My relative just got home from a 5 week stay at the hospital due to lymphoma. She was there for 5 weeks. The hospital billed Medicare $6,170 and Medicare paid the hospital only $179 (One hundred and seventy-nine dollars).

How the heck does this cover all that work the hospital put in for her???

Members don't see this ad.

OnMyWayThere said:
My relative just got home from a 5 week stay at the hospital due to lymphoma. She was there for 5 weeks. The hospital billed Medicare $6,170 and Medicare paid the hospital only $179 (One hundred and seventy-nine dollars).

I'm guessing that any day now she will receive a bill in the mail for the remainder 6000$. If not then I don't get it either!

OnMyWayThere said:

Yes, I have had relatives in similar situations and each one was subsequently billed the remainder.... eeek! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
It already said on the bill:

"Your portion of this bill is $140"... who the heck eats the extra $6000+ ???

OnMyWayThere said:

She doesnt have any other insurance?

The bill monster....he's like the cookie monster, except...yknow, eats bills.

MMMMM!!! MEDICAL EXPENSES!!! *GOBBLE MUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH*

fun8stuff said:
She doesnt have any other insurance?

No other type of health insurance... I think the hospitals are losing the money here when the insurance companies are giving them the middle finger... .quite unfair of Medicare

Pft 6k ain't nothing. I once stayed at a hospital for three weeks to the tune of $200,000, now watching insurance pay for all of that was quite satisfying. Makes for good PS material too.

OnMyWayThere said:

It must have been a DRG and they go the bad portion of it.

Have you ever been to the ER when you're uninsured? Holy crap is it expensive.