I failed Freshman, Sophomore year and now I'm failing Junior year? Can I still be successful?

Tigrane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm now a Junior in high school, and the last two years (Freshman and Sophomore) have been complete trash (Bs and Cs all around) and now my Junior is already slipping down to hell(I have two Cs, a D-, and all rest Bs and As). I am extremely worried because I know even if I get straight A's my Junior year, my GPA will still be low as hell and no college out of high school will even consider me (I don't want to go to a ****ty school either). I've never had trouble with motivation, sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't, but for some reason each year, the grades seem to slip right under me. I just wanted to know if there was any way to still be successful. I know that I probably won't get into a college out of high school and will have to go to Community College and transfer, but will that set me back? I'm so ****ing worried right now.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm now a Junior in high school, and the last two years (Freshman and Sophomore) have been complete trash (Bs and Cs all around) and now my Junior is already slipping down to hell(I have two Cs, a D-, and all rest Bs and As). I am extremely worried because I know even if I get straight A's my Junior year, my GPA will still be low as hell and no college out of high school will even consider me (I don't want to go to a ****ty school either).
Well its not that hard to get into any college, and B/C's means you're probably going to be okay for some of your state campus(es).

The selectivity of undergraduate education occurs at the elite/top; the vast majority of schools are still quite reasonable to get into. Don't become unduly stressed.

Well its not that hard to get into any college, and B/C's means you're probably going to be okay for some of your state campus(es).

The selectivity of undergraduate education occurs at the elite/top; the vast majority of schools are still quite reasonable to get into. Don't become unduly stressed.
Aren't state schools, which in my mind are very good as well, close to the difficulty of getting into a UC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't state schools, which in my mind are very good as well, close to the difficulty of getting into a UC?
You're from Cali right? Well there are many UC campuses, many of which aren't hard to get into (non-Berkeley, UCLA). The UC system is your state school, though you also have Cal State, which is even less selective.

Meanwhile, you'd better get your act together one way or another.

College isn't going to be any easier, and you're going to need to do a whole lot better than you are when you're there (not sure what you're aiming for).

Signed, tough love from someone who's been there.

Reactions: 1 users
Meanwhile, you'd better get your act together one way or another.

College isn't going to be any easier, and you're going to need to do a whole lot better than you are when you're there (not sure what you're aiming for).

Signed, tough love from someone who's been there.
You've been in my place? Is there any chance you could tell me your situation and how you got out?

Redacted for privacy, will PM response if wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm now a Junior in high school, and the last two years (Freshman and Sophomore) have been complete trash (Bs and Cs all around) and now my Junior is already slipping down to hell(I have two Cs, a D-, and all rest Bs and As). I am extremely worried because I know even if I get straight A's my Junior year, my GPA will still be low as hell and no college out of high school will even consider me (I don't want to go to a ****ty school either). I've never had trouble with motivation, sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't, but for some reason each year, the grades seem to slip right under me. I just wanted to know if there was any way to still be successful. I know that I probably won't get into a college out of high school and will have to go to Community College and transfer, but will that set me back? I'm so ****ing worried right now.

This is going to be harsh. So if you don't want to hear it, stop reading.

How entitled are you? I mean Jesus. You dont want to go to a ****ty school? Really because as it stands now you'd be lucky to get into any college.

You're asking a question only you can answer. Can you be succcessful? I don't know, can you? Do you have the intelligence or work ethic to make the grades? As it stnads now- no, you don't.

I can tell you, if you cannot do well in High school, you will not do well in college and you won't make it to medical school. So what you need to figure out first is why are you doing so poorly.
1) Crappy work ethic?
2) Studying poorly?
3) Just not smart enough?

Being a doctor is not for everyone. Only you can decide if it is for you and that comes from putting in a full effort to see if you have the stuff to make it.

This is going to be harsh. So if you don't want to hear it, stop reading.

How entitled are you? I mean Jesus. You dont want to go to a ****ty school? Really because as it stands now you'd be lucky to get into any college.

You're asking a question only you can answer. Can you be succcessful? I don't know, can you? Do you have the intelligence or work ethic to make the grades? As it stnads now- no, you don't.

I can tell you, if you cannot do well in High school, you will not do well in college and you won't make it to medical school. So what you need to figure out first is why are you doing so poorly.
1) Crappy work ethic?
2) Studying poorly?
3) Just not smart enough?

Being a doctor is not for everyone. Only you can decide if it is for you and that comes from putting in a full effort to see if you have the stuff to make it.
Well, it's definitely not intelligence, I always ace standardized tests and other big exams like that, though I haven't taken the SAT as of now, but I can agree that my studying pattern is quite poor which is something I need to improve on. My work ethic, talking everything but tests, is pretty good, better than before it seems.
You dont want to go to a ****ty school? Really because as it stands now you'd be lucky to get into any college.
I don't want to go to a ****ty school, but when you say I'd be lucky to get into any college, are you talking out of high school or even out of a Community College. The past few days I've been thinking long and hard about what I've done in the past and how I'm going to dig myself out and a CC seemed like the best place to have a fresh start. Both my sisters, even though they had a bit better grades than me went to CC and one ended up in Davis for Biology and the other in SJSU for Art or Graphic Design. I've read about TAG Admission which seems promising, but just another thing with it's deadlines and credits to be fulfilled. I'm planning on bumping my ass up and working from now on. I know out of High School, colleges will not even look once at my papers, but CC could get me in right?

Really because as it stands now you'd be lucky to get into any college.
I know out of High School, colleges will not even look once at my papers, but CC could get me in right?
I don't know who you've been listening to but a 2.5-3.0 unweighted GPA will get you into alot of colleges....

Don't let that knowledge be a crutch though, and work as hard as you can to improve. That's all.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know who you've been listening to but a 2.5-3.0 unweighted GPA will get you into alot of colleges....

Don't let that knowledge be a crutch though, and work as hard as you can to improve. That's all.
But bad colleges, no? I mean, I don't want to be crutched by a low tier college either

Define "bad college." Like Cal State Fullerton?
That's a coincidence, I did a small research report on Cal State Fullerton about a week ago (Very informal, just to grab info, and the school was picked randomly) and thought, from the information found, that it was an excellent school and would be more than happy to attend. Would you consider it a "bad college" or were you just asking for my ranking style?

That's a coincidence, I did a small research report on Cal State Fullerton about a week ago (Very informal, just to grab info, and the school was picked randomly) and thought, from the information found, that it was an excellent school and would be more than happy to attend. Would you consider it a "bad college" or were you just asking for my ranking style?
I'm asking to determine your expectations. You can get into CSU-Fullerton with your current grades. So de stress a bit.

But please improve for your own benefit

I don't want to go to a ****ty school, but when you say I'd be lucky to get into any college, are you talking out of high school or even out of a Community College. The past few days I've been thinking long and hard about what I've done in the past and how I'm going to dig myself out and a CC seemed like the best place to have a fresh start. Both my sisters, even though they had a bit better grades than me went to CC and one ended up in Davis for Biology and the other in SJSU for Art or Graphic Design. I've read about TAG Admission which seems promising, but just another thing with it's deadlines and credits to be fulfilled. I'm planning on bumping my ass up and working from now on. I know out of High School, colleges will not even look once at my papers, but CC could get me in right?

If you do well in CC you will get into a 4 year university. But, if you think you can do poorly in high school and cruise through CC to get into college, you have another thing coming. You should really figure out why you are doing poorly in HIGH SCHOOL and fix it before you get to CC. Use this year and next to create that fresh start. When you are away from home it will be much, much more difficult to find the energy to do well in school.

Reactions: 1 user

First, you can get into colleges- hell university of pheonix will take anyone- but the rate of acceptance into medical school from those schools is the issue (I assume this is the OP's end game since he's posting on SDN). For instance, in my medical school class (not a UC) the vast majority of students came from either the IVY, strong private schools or strong UGs. The OP's thought about going to CC and then making it into a 4 year college is a good one, esp since california has a good CC program with entrance into some very strong 4 year colleges.

Cal State Fullerton was brought up. It is a large school with 32,000 students yet only puts a handful of people into medical school each year, mostly osteopathic school or the carribean. From a link I found: http://calstate.fullerton.edu/news/2012su/Health-Professions.asp

Regular medical school- 5
The Carribean 4
Osteo 6

So while you may be able to get into a college, if your end game is medical school, choose wisely and do a little research into their success into medical school.

Last edited:
If you do well in CC you will get into a 4 year university. But, if you think you can do poorly in high school and cruise through CC to get into college, you have another thing coming. You should really figure out why you are doing poorly in HIGH SCHOOL and fix it before you get to CC. Use this year and next to create that fresh start. When you are away from home it will be much, much more difficult to find the energy to do well in school.
The CC is very close to home, like a 10 minute drive. There is one closer, but the other as less people so it'll be easier to get classes. I've already begun to clean up my act, but even if I get straight As this year, and I don't know how much Senior year counts, then I'll still be pretty damn low in terms of GPA.

First, you can get into colleges- hell university of pheonix will take anyone- but the rate of acceptance into medical school from those schools is the issue (I assume this is the OP's end game since he's posting on SDN). For instance, in my medical school class (not a UC) the vast majority of students came from either the IVY, strong private schools or strong UGs. The OP's thought about going to CC and then making it into a 4 year college is a good one, esp since california has a good CC program with entrance into some very strong 4 year colleges.

Cal State Fullerton was brought up. It is a large school with 32,000 students yet only puts a handful of people into medical school each year, mostly osteopathic school or the carribean. From a link I found: http://calstate.fullerton.edu/news/2012su/Health-Professions.asp

Regular medical school- 5
The Carribean 4
Osteo 6

So while you may be able to get into a college, if your end game is medical school, choose wisely and do a little research into their success into medical school.
Honestly, I've had a lot of ups and downs of what I wanted to try and pursue, and physician seemed to always be my first choice, but that was when I was younger. I've learned so much about it that it's pretty much equal to the other interests I have, meaning, I'm pretty much at a stale mate right now. As of right now, physician would be the only thing that suits me (Just what I'm interested in the most), but obviously the school is tough. I could probably make that decision (To go or not to go to medical school) after I've dug myself out a tiny bit... The problem is that there are always checkpoints, like getting into med school, getting into a residency program, and there will always be tons of competition, and even though my grades are a bit horrible right now, for some reason I can't stand to go to lower than what I can actually accomplish (School wise). It's probably extremely bizarre coming from a guy who's having tough times in High School, but it's what I think.

You're thinking waaaaay too into this, OP, you need to focus on fixing your grades right now and what's causing your grades to drop. When you figure that out, you fix that too and improve on yourself. It's better to take care of these issues you're having in high school than in college which can be even more stressful to deal with. If you have to go to a CC, then you go to a CC and you do stellar.