I Got An Interview!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since my last post, I've added Vanderbilt and today, Emory.

I think this was brought up before, but what is everyone's plan for scheduling interviews? I read in one of the other speciality forums that you should interview at 15 places, 5 reach programs, 5 on target, and 5 safe places. But besides a few of the obvious, how do we know what program goes in each category? I really have no idea!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought that I should contribute because I read this site all of the time for info:
Interview offers (lots of apps...I'm couples matching)
MUSC
UNC
Wash U
SLU
MCG
UKY
U of Louisville
IU
Vandy
UVA
Duke
UAB
U Chicago
Utah
Loyola
Christ Hospital--philly
Wake Forest

Chesney said:
Since my last post, I've added Vanderbilt and today, Emory.

I think this was brought up before, but what is everyone's plan for scheduling interviews? I read in one of the other speciality forums that you should interview at 15 places, 5 reach programs, 5 on target, and 5 safe places. But besides a few of the obvious, how do we know what program goes in each category? I really have no idea!

Oh my god was that for peds? I can understand that sort of brutal schedule in something more cut-throat, but oh man - the expense - and holy smokes - the tiring nature of it all. It just seems overboard for a normal peds person. Now granted if you wanted to go into a highly competitive spot or are restricted by geography I can see doing a lot more interviewing. Just remember, the statistic is something like 88% of people (or higher???) get into their top 4 spots. And that's just a general residency number, not specific to peds.

But it's really just my thoughts, as I am a fourth year med student, and I really don't "know" a whole lot! :cool:

I got number 4 today - Phoenix Children's. woo!

Members don't see this ad :)
kristing said:
Oh my god was that for peds? I can understand that sort of brutal schedule in something more cut-throat, but oh man - the expense - and holy smokes - the tiring nature of it all. It just seems overboard for a normal peds person. Now granted if you wanted to go into a highly competitive spot or are restricted by geography I can see doing a lot more interviewing. Just remember, the statistic is something like 88% of people (or higher???) get into their top 4 spots. And that's just a general residency number, not specific to peds.

But it's really just my thoughts, as I am a fourth year med student, and I really don't "know" a whole lot! :cool:

I got number 4 today - Phoenix Children's. woo!

I have to give you a hand for the "holy smokes" comment, followed by "the tiring nature of it all." In some circles, that would be called poetry.

:laugh:

Just to clarify, don't know if I am going to interview at all of those places, but we are couples matching and had to cover our bases (wanted to make sure I had 5-6 interviews at least in places that he had interviews offered)..and in his "more competitive" specialty they don't really offer interviews until after Nov. 1...Just so people don't think I am TOO crazy

fourthyearmed said:
Anybody else waiting to hear from Emory and Vandy? I figure if I post something about it, maybe something will happen! It worked last time I complained about not getting invites for a few day!

It worked! The day after I posted this I heard from Emory!

Is it really considered that crazy to interview at 15 places? I'm hoping to interview at 12 (still waiting to hear from 2 schools). Is this a waste of my time? How many are most of you planning on?

Has anyone started calling the programs that haven't sent notification of interview status yet?? I know dean's letter is going to be put out soon, but I am still waiting on 6 programs that I know have offered interviews to some others. I put my application out about 4 weeks ago and these 6 programs are killing me, I think I am at a lull in the process.

The silence is deadening.......

Today, I hit double digits: St. Louis Children's Hospital. I'm hoping that Emory is right around the corner for me because it's one of the places I really want to interview at, and now I'm seeing more people on here getting interviews there, so hopefully mine's coming soon! By the way, has anyone heard from Stanford or UCSF?

#14 Yale. Yes, it would be nice to know more about this program.

hokiedoc2005 said:
Has anyone started calling the programs that haven't sent notification of interview status yet??

Are we supposed to call if we haven't heard? I didn't know that. I thought maybe the programs I hadn't heard from were waiting on Dean's letters to make their final choices and then we'd hear.

fourthyearmed said:
Are we supposed to call if we haven't heard? I didn't know that. I thought maybe the programs I hadn't heard from were waiting on Dean's letters to make their final choices and then we'd hear.

One of the ladies at school said if we hadn't heard we could just call or email just to make sure they've received all of our application materials. Maybe that would give them a little shove? I'm getting really bummed. Still waiting on ECU, Carolinas Med Ctr, Wake and UCSF-fresno. UGH.

Arydolphin-
I'm still waiting for UCSF & Stanford, too.... Not expecting much until the Dean's Letter comes out, though. On their websites, they sound pretty firm on not giving out interviews until it's in.

I applied to 10 programs total, and I've scheduled interviews at Seattle, Denver, UC San Diego, UCSF-Fresno & Pittsburgh. UC Davis sent me an email saying "not until the Dean's Letter is in." From Stanford, UCSF, UCLA & CHLA, I've heard zip, nada, zero. Boo to them.

buddyboy05 said:
I applied to 10 programs total, and I've scheduled interviews at Seattle, Denver, UC San Diego, UCSF-Fresno & Pittsburgh. UC Davis sent me an email saying "not until the Dean's Letter is in." From Stanford, UCSF, UCLA & CHLA, I've heard zip, nada, zero. Boo to them.

#10 Yale

I called UCSD and they told me that they aren't sending out invites until next week! Umm, not sure why they said that, since I know people here who have gotten interviews. I'd prefer the honest answer of "we don't want you" or "we haven't gotten to you yet".

Members don't see this ad :)
You know how on ERAS it says that a program can only download your photo after they have invited you for an interview. Well, there have been programs that have downloaded my photo on "track applications" but I never heard from them. Does this mean that they are going to invite me for an interview, but haven't told me about it yet?

lou said:
You know how on ERAS it says that a program can only download your photo after they have invited you for an interview. Well, there have been programs that have downloaded my photo on "track applications" but I never heard from them. Does this mean that they are going to invite me for an interview, but haven't told me about it yet?

No -- I don't really think that's true. Perhaps with previous implimentations of the software, but I doubt it's true now. Every program on my list downloaded my photo at the same time as the application. I also was notified I would NOT be interviewing at a program and yes, they had already downloaded my picture.

Did anyone receive any response from the following programs:
Mt. Sinai
Cornell
Alb Einstein, Monte and Jacobi
Cook County
UCLA
CH, LA

I am starting to realise signs of OCD in me these days.. I keep checking my mail every 30 min..Oh Boy

lou said:

I was told that they download it to their computer but don't look at it or print it until you are invited to interview.

Today #11 LSU - only one program left!

Grand Rapids-MSU. Not much, but it's a start. Anyone have interviews from Wayne State?

#10 Ohio State

Just waiting on NC programs

#6 Childrens Hospital Los Angeles

...on a Saturday? That was kind of a (happy) shock.

I got my email for CHLA on a Sat too buddyboy! :D

DocMartin-

Have you already scheduled your CHLA interview? I tried calling on Saturday right after I got the email, but decided not to leave a message on the answering machine that picked up.

I guess I'll try calling again on Monday morning... Did you have any problem scheduling the day you wanted?

ped2005 said:
Mt. Sinai
Cornell
Cook County
UCLA
CH, LA

I am starting to realise signs of OCD in me these days.. I keep checking my mail every 30 min..Oh Boy

I have gotten interviews at Monte and Jacobi. No word from the other NYC schools you mentioned.

I called the following Monday. This was a couple of weeks ago, so I was able to get the date I wanted.

Good luck! :thumbup:

YAY PARA NOOZE! :clap: :laugh:

ped2005 said:
Mt. Sinai
Cornell
Cook County
UCLA
CH, LA

NY: got interviews at Columbia, Cornell, Montefiore, and NYU
CA: got interviews from CHLA, Children's Oakland, UCI, UCSD; and waiting to hear from UCLA, UCSF, UCD

To those who received interview offers from Denver or St. Louis Children's, did you receive the invite via the ERAS messaging center or email?

Thanks.

#7 UCSF

Chimera - I think I received Denver's invite both through the message center AND via email.

i heard from SLU via email and eras.

Sorry you meant Wash U/SLC. i heard from them as above.

#13-LSU New Orleans
#14-UNC

4 more to go

#11 UNC!

DH is thrilled (he wants to work in Biotech).

#5 St. Joe's in Phoenix by phone only. How bizarre.

#15- Morehouse School of Medicine

3 more to go!!

Interview #14 - Palmetto Health, Columbia, SC
Any info "insider" info on this program would be great!

#11: UNC. Not sure how I feel about this being a Duke grad, but I'll still take the interview. ;-)

Noelle, I don't know a whole lot about the Palmetto Health program, but I grew up in Columbia, SC, so I could tell you some stuff about what type of place it is to live in if you wanted to know about that sort of thing. PM me if you want more info.

UNC for me too :)

kas23 said:
There you go, good job!

Thanks! I'm excited and my husband is dancing on the ceiling (NC is his top geographical choice because of all the biotech).

#12 (and final program) - Vanderbilt

Congrats to all for getting interviews...some of which are at great programs! I know it's a great feeling.

Anyone interested in Baylor, PM me...I'm a second year there/here now, and am very happy to be here. This place is amazing!

Continued Good Luck to all.....hope you end up where you want...

#13 UCSF! Holy cow!

They like me, they REALLY like me!

Hey guys, #14 = Hopkins :D

CHOP, CHAM, St. Christopher's, Schneiders, Hasboro, and CNMC so far. This week is going to be a big week for everyone w/ dean's letters coming out, so good luck all!

-Nala

Anyone who's received an interview at MGH--what does their interview schedule look like? Just trying to schedule home interviews around travel plans. Thanks! :)

#14 Stanford
#15 Johns Hopkins

#9 Stanford

Only one more to go....

#12 for me was Baylor, and I actually had my interview yesterday. I'm doing an away rotation at Texas Children's right now that started last week, so I inquired about getting an interview when I got down here since I still hadn't heard from Baylor. I found out on Saturday that they wanted to interview me, and after bouncing emails back and forth with the residency coordinator, they were able to work me into yesterday's schedule. This place is phenomenal, and definitely has shot up to the top of my list, now I'll just have to see if all of the other places I see down the road can match up!