I Got An Interview!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm interviewing there in a few weeks and I'd love to hear your opinion. Why don't you start an "interview experiences" thread for everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from Columbia yet?
1.UVA
2.Duke
3.UNC
4.Vanderbilt
5.St. Christopher's
6.DuPont
7.CHOP
8.Einstein (Montefiore)
9. Cornell
10. Yale
11. Brown

Need to weed out Cali programs...have way too many interviews there and no time to go to all of them :( ANY insight into these programs would help SO much. Thanks!!

UCSF
UCSD
UCLA
UCLA Harbor
UCI
UC Davis
CHLA
CHOC
CH Oakland
Stanford

Members don't see this ad :)
Stone'sDad said:
Has anyone heard from Columbia yet?
1.UVA
2.Duke
3.UNC
4.Vanderbilt
5.St. Christopher's
6.DuPont
7.CHOP
8.Einstein (Montefiore)
9. Cornell
10. Yale
11. Brown
12. Stanford

#16: DC Children's
#17: Boston Children's!

I'm going to have to start turning some down! Any suggestions?
How many interviews is too many?

1. Boston Children's
2. Brown
3. UConn
4. Yale
5. CHOP
6. du Pont / TJU
7. Johns Hopkins
8. UMaryland
9. Georgetown
10. DC Children's
11. Duke
12. UNC-Chapel Hill
13. Baylor
14. UT-Houston
15. Cincinnati
16. UCSF
17. Stanford

I'm still waiting on MGH, Colorado, and UCSD...

Anybody hear from UC Davis yet?

GeneGoddess said:
I'm going to have to start turning some down! Any suggestions?
How many interviews is too many?

I have been wondering this myself. I've got 12 scheduled and people seem to think that is a lot and about the most someone could handle. I can't decide if I should cancel a couple or not.

I have 16 interviews lined up right now...granted 4 of them are "practice" interviews and aren't costing me extra $$...so I guess 12 real ones...seems like too many!! I have to cancel too...any ideas on Cali programs?

#11 Wake Forest

I have already cancelled three of my interviews, so currently I have 8 scheduled. I am waiting on three programs with plans to schedule all of them. My program director says to do between 10-12 interviews to ensure a match.

Are you guys cancelling interviews by phone or e-mail? Btw, still waiting to hear from UC Davis too...they said it'd be sometime this week, right?

#10 UC Davis!

That's it for me... I don't think that I could be perky for more than 10 interviews. But then again, I'm not naturally perky... :)

NYtoCA Peds -- When I called to schedule, they said today was the first of several days of interview offers. You should hear soon...

I emailed my programs to cancel interviews and two of three wrote back to confirm the cancellation. Either way you should be fine as long as you give the program plenty of notice.

Also for those of you still waiting of programs.........CALL THEM!! I got three answers today and now I am only waiting on two more programs. The PD at my program says that by calling (repetitively if necessary as long as you are polite) may get you an interview that you otherwise would not have gotten.

I don't know about all of you, but the OCD checking of the email and ERAS is really getting old!! :laugh:

Can anyone provide some information on how a resident (me) and my wife who is a nurse, would be able to afford to live in the Palo Alto area. We also have a second grader and do not know anything about the cost of child care in the area. Can the two of us afford to live there without being overly poor?

Members don't see this ad :)
Stone'sDad said:
Can anyone provide some information on how a resident (me) and my wife who is a nurse, would be able to afford to live in the Palo Alto area. We also have a second grader and do not know anything about the cost of child care in the area. Can the two of us afford to live there without being overly poor?

It's all relative. What do you consider overly poor? If you're used to an enormous house that you rent for $500, you may gag at the prices in CA. Check out Craigslist.org the best place to find a place in the Bay Area, hands down. ALso, Stanford has subsidized housing near campus, but not that cheap if I remember correctly.

The good news: Stanford residents get paid a lot (>45k as intern last yr) and they have lots of monetary perks (pay USMLE, license fees, moving stipend, educ expenses). Also there's an enormous nursing shortage, and your wife can probably get a job easily.

#18 Colorado

Wonder if I will go 20/20?

#8 out of 8 schools applied to: Baylor

Wahoo!

Star

I've got:
UCIrvine
UCLA
Loma Linda
Kaiser Oakland
Kaiser LA
USC

No:
Stanford

The others I am waiting for. I didn't get ERAS in until Oct 10, so maybe that's why...At least that's what I hope!

I've heard from all the places I've applied to (all yeses):
Boston Combined
U of Washington
OHSU
U of Minnesota
UCSF
Johns Hopkins
CHOP
Children's of Oakland
U of Colorado
Stanford

As you can see, I'm still undecided about geography.

Also, did anyone else have a bizarre interview scheduling experience with U of Washington? Just curious.

Hi spikeyhairedgirl,

Yeah, UW has quite a few kinks to work out of their interview scheduling system. I had a specific date in mind, and had to wait what seemed like eons for them to "release it." Painful. Then, I received a confirmation via snailmail which had the correct date but the wrong day of the week.

And don't even get me started on my gender confusion over the name "Drake"...

It's actually made me a little hesitant about what used to be my top choice program. We'll see what happens on interview day...

-- buddy

I agree with the UW craziness! I called on Friday to see what was going on with my application and suddenly I have an interview on Monday! Its my first interview and I reallllllllly didnt want it to be this one!

#15 Wake Forest
#16 UCSF-Fresno
Anybody have some info on either of these programs they'd like to share?

#7- Harbor-UCLA
#8- Children's Orange County
#9- UC Davis

No #2 - UCSD

YEAH! I am happy!

#14 - Duke! I'm excited because I went to undergrad there and love the area. Interestingly, the offer came by phone, not email. I had called their office twice in the past 2 weeks to inquire about my status, and called again yesterday. The woman on the phone yesterday gave me a cryptic answer like "you'll hear from us soon" and when I asked how soon, she said "well, maybe tomorrow, call us back when you hear." I guess she already knew I'd get an interview, and so here it is. Just another example of how calling a program's office if you're still waiting to hear about interviews is a good thing to do!

Wow - I just applied to UNM 2 days ago (on the advice of a friend who really liked it) and just got an interview today. I never thought I would get another one this late in the season.

:D