I Just Got My First Arranged Marriage Proposal!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Noooooooooo! :eek:

It's some girl from Houston. Her father contacted my parents. OK, it wasn't a marriage proposal. He was checking me out, and I turned out to be younger than the girl.

I'm not opposed to the idea of an arranged marriage, but I really wasn't planning on getting married until I was 30 or maybe 40 or something. Married people are so god damn tedious. That and when I was a kid I was as stiff as a corpse. I've just recently begun to lighten up and enjoy myself. I don't need no woman tying me down! :scared:

Oh well, at least there's one woman out there who potentially wants me. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Llenroc said:

It's some girl from Houston. Her father contacted my parents. OK, it wasn't a marriage proposal. He was checking me out, and I turned out to be younger than the girl.

I'm not opposed to the idea of an arranged marriage, but I really wasn't planning on getting married until I was 30 or maybe 40 or something. Married people are so god damn tedious. That and when I was a kid I was as stiff as a corpse. I've just recently begun to lighten up and enjoy myself. I don't need no woman tying me down! :scared:

Oh well, at least there's one woman out there who potentially wants me. :smuggrin:

I don't think getting married is that bad... :D !!!

Llenroc said:
Her father contacted my parents. OK, it wasn't a marriage proposal. He was checking me out, and I turned out to be younger than the girl.
I'm just quoting here:
"..Hit them. Hit them hard. Come to think of it, crucify them. Hang them out where everyone can see them, it will serve as a warning." :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
g3k said:
I don't think getting married is that bad... :D !!!
May be not......but I am too scared...... :scared:

Llenroc said:

You know I wonder sometimes, do Indian parents ever look beyond the "medical school" factor? Kinda scary. Anyways, congrats, whether you thought this was good or bad news....it's news nonetheless :laugh:

The reason Indian parents look for the doctor factor is due to the employment guarantee. Life for an unemployed man can be hard and they would definitely not want to give their daughthers hand to such a guy.

Doctors can just never be unemployed cuz till there are people threre will be sick people and where there are sick people there will be ur friendly neighbourhood doctorman(to the rescue!!!!!!!!!!!)

MD Rapper said:
..the daughter's parents will usually overlook it..
any parent who looks to marry their kid to the "richest" family on the scene is doing nothing more than pimping the kid. :mad: like hell they care about looks(when they have been telling us from day 1 to not judge a book by its cover) or intelligence(beta,here is a small IQ test..)...they didn't have much of a say in their own marriage, and just want a chance to be involved in the process, through their kids. they will even name their grandkids because they couldn't name their own kids.
and we have a thread discussing ragging/hazing... :smuggrin:

Yeah I agree but you will also have to consider that their mindset has been so moulded because of the condition that was prevalent in India during their times
. The most financialy secured were the doctors and giving the hand of their daughters to them meant securing a financially stable future. This scenario is changing though. The Indian society is slowly but surely opening up now. Can u imagine what would happen if Shahrukh Khan was to play a role with gay undertones during the 90's. The movie was not only a hit but also nobody made any big deal out of it.

So it may require some more time before this perception is changed.

montesi_formula said:
Yeah I agree but you will also have to consider that their mindset has been so moulded because of the condition that was prevalent in India during their times
. The most financialy secured were the doctors and giving the hand of their daughters to them meant securing a financially stable future. This scenario is changing though. The Indian society is slowly but surely opening up now. Can u imagine what would happen if Shahrukh Khan was to play a role with gay undertones during the 90's. The movie was not only a hit but also nobody made any big deal out of it.

So it may require some more time before this perception is changed.

Whats up with your avatar? :scared:

Arranged marriages arent really arranged like what most people think they are. You dont sign a contract and your married. From my experience seeing friends and family get arranged marriages, its more of an introduction. The two kids then get to know eachother and decide. This is especially true for the more educated people. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
American generation of Indian girls, sadly do not have the same views as thier parents who want them to be married to a doctor...instead they opt for the bad boy :p

we will see about that.... ;)

MD Rapper said:
You'd actually be surprised... there are many american-raised indo girls who are still looking for doctors, it's just that they wouldn't marry one that has the personality of a dud.

Doctor + solid personality and well-roundedness = good catch for girl

Absolutely. Period.

But who said that bad boys(thugs) cannot be doctors? Well I have to agree that its very very very very very rare.

I really really wanta marry a doc, but I start doubting myself when I meet an attractive and nice at heart, bad boy. Only to my dismay, I later find out
that he's not a premed, but something like management or math or something. I try to tweak my choice of a future husband after that and hope to ask the guy (indirectly ofcourse) if hes ambitious enough and watever his career goal be,is going to secure him a rich enough life style.
Honestly, i feel that family building is upto bboth the parents. They should work equally hard to be rich and support their kids equally. As far as he's doing his job and is professional about it, i do not care if hes making less than me. But the real problem lies here -- If hes not a doc himself, I would never understand how hard he has to work to get certain things done and Iwill nto be able to appreciate him proportionately or talk about it and vice versa. For this very reason, I wanta marry a doctor, because there is so much mutual understanding and to me this is very important, otherwise sex becomes just too mechanical, and the entire lifestyle becomes mechanical, if the couple dont have a common goal to work for, and if they dont seek comfort in each other's presence..

priyanka said:
Absolutely. Period.

But who said that bad boys(thugs) cannot be doctors? Well I have to agree that its very very very very very rare.

I really really wanta marry a doc, but I start doubting myself when I meet an attractive and nice at heart, bad boy. Only to my dismay, I later find out
that he's not a premed, but something like management or math or something. I try to tweak my choice of a future husband after that and hope to ask the guy (indirectly ofcourse) if hes ambitious enough and watever his career goal be,is going to secure him a rich enough life style.
Honestly, i feel that family building is upto bboth the parents. They should work equally hard to be rich and support their kids equally. As far as he's doing his job and is professional about it, i do not care if hes making less than me. But the real problem lies here -- If hes not a doc himself, I would never understand how hard he has to work to get certain things done and Iwill nto be able to appreciate him proportionately or talk about it and vice versa. For this very reason, I wanta marry a doctor, because there is so much mutual understanding and to me this is very important, otherwise sex becomes just too mechanical, and the entire lifestyle becomes mechanical, if the couple dont have a common goal to work for, and if they dont seek comfort in each other's presence..

:laugh: :laugh: OOOOOoooo he must be really bad if hes a math major ooooooooo :scared:

I think most real (not pretending to be) bad boys dont go to college.

i think women like "bad boys" because he's fun, edgy, and all they want is a no-strings-attached fling. obviously, the lady doesn't think she can permanently be with a bad boy, else he'd be the "good boy". so, by calling a guy they want to have fun with, but not get serious with a "bad boy", they nip that thought in the bud. its their version of what men call a "Bimbo".

uhoh! said:
i think women like "bad boys" because he's fun, edgy, and all they want is a no-strings-attached fling. obviously, the lady doesn't think she can permanently be with a bad boy, else he'd be the "good boy". so, by calling a guy they want to have fun with, but not get serious with a "bad boy", they nip that thought in the bud. its their version of what men call a "Bimbo".

I m a bad boy, i do lots of bad things........so are you calling me a bimbo? :mad:

my $0.02 regarding this whole arranged marriage thing...

desi parents are just concerned about the future and well being of their kids. you have to look at it from their point of view... they think that...they have lived through it all, they have been through marriage and married life themselves and have seen others(friends/family) going through it.

they feel, and rightly so, that they know what qualities to look for in a potential spouse that will best match the values of their family and subsequently make their child's marriage successful.

we should be proud to have parents that care about us and show so much interest in us (unlike american parents here who virtually lose contact with their kids when they go to college)

Arranged marriage scenario is no much different than that of the dating things that go on around the world, just that here its your parents that find you a date, then you go out with that boy/girl a few times and decide whether you like bein with each other or not. Arranged marriages even back in India are not what people might think of them to be looking back into the history where to-be-marrieds would see each other for the first time on their "Suhaag Raat" total hindi filmi ishtyle.

DrGarfield said:
Arranged marriages even back in India are not what people might think of them to be looking back into the history where to-be-marrieds would see each other for the first time on their "Suhaag Raat" total hindi filmi ishtyle.

:laugh:

i got my first "check out" or call it what u may when i was 18....

o lots of new facese round here eh...

Well I guess if you want to "rebel", you can always start the SDN desi dating service and find your own match.

NRAI2001 said:
:laugh: :laugh: OOOOOoooo he must be really bad if hes a math major ooooooooo :scared:

I think most real (not pretending to be) bad boys dont go to college.

so when does one draw the line and call the girl a "gold digger."

who wants to marry a gold digger?...they'll get fat, ugly and because they dont really love you, they'll nag all the time....at this point its too late and you are screwed.

is divorce becoming more common in India?

maybe the bad boy wants a fling with the gold digger and will later "kick her a** to the curb" as they say and try to find a nice girl b/c he knows all along she is a gold-digger.

marcus_aurelius said:
so when does one draw the line and call the girl a "gold digger."

who wants to marry a gold digger?...they'll get fat, ugly and because they dont really love you, they'll nag all the time....at this point its too late and you are screwed.

is divorce becoming more common in India?

maybe the bad boy wants a fling with the gold digger and will later "kick her a** to the curb" as they say and try to find a nice girl b/c he knows all along she is a gold-digger.

Gold diggers?

uhoh! said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laugh: :laugh:

i'm laughin so hard i'm falling over. :laugh:

this post is soooo true. i guess that's why ugly guys have to try to be nice and look for a nice (uglier) woman and ugly girls are forced to be super nice.

good looking guys can be dinguses and good looking girls can be b***** because, well, that's the way we all are underneath it all.

so why wouldnt a guy get a prenumptual agreement?....oh i forgot, the kids.

marcus_aurelius said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laugh: :laugh:

so why wouldnt a guy get a prenumptual agreement?....oh i forgot, the kids.

Why would kids prevent a guy from getting a prenup?

NRAI2001 said:
Why would kids prevent a guy from getting a prenup?
Not prevent, but be an added incentive. Who wants diaper duty? And who will have NO social life once the dust settles..important issues to decide ahead of time, preferably before conception.

uhoh! said:
Not prevent, but be an added incentive. Who wants diaper duty? And who will have NO social life once the dust settles..important issues to decide ahead of time, preferably before conception.

what do you desi girls think about prenumps. My friends tell me they'd never marry a guy who wanted a prenump....that would mean we'd have to do something shady like funnel our money into secret bank accounts if things got rocky...ha ha.

no, seriously though, if i had kids, i would try harder to not get a divorce for their sake....but i dont know what is worse, a dysfunctional family fighting all the time or a divorce...what do u guys think?

marcus_aurelius said:
what do you desi girls think about prenumps. My friends tell me they'd never marry a guy who wanted a prenump....that would mean we'd have to do something shady like funnel our money into secret bank accounts if things got rocky...ha ha.

no, seriously though, if i had kids, i would try harder to not get a divorce for their sake....but i dont know what is worse, a dysfunctional family fighting all the time or a divorce...what do u guys think?

I think a dysfunctional family is worse than a divorce.

I wouldn't marry any girl without getting a prenup first. You can always break the prenup later on after a few years of marriage when things have settle down more.