I miss him

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted171991

I miss him. I have never met him, but every time I bump into one of his old posts, I feel happy. There is so much wisdom there, they are probably worth a read just by themselves. He's nuts, but who cares? A beautiful mind.

@jetproppilot, where are you? You've been away for so long, the forum software doesn't autofill your name anymore.

Guys, feel free to mention other greats you are missing. This thread is a recruitment maneuver.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
My mind was fully set to anesthesia before I read this forum.. (BY JETPROPPILOT)

"Hey Dude,

Concerning your comments about PLANK'S Opinion,

DON'T YOU SEE?

THAT'S WHAT MAKES THIS PLACE GREAT, MAN.

I don't know another site on SDN that has such an

ACTIVE ATTENDING AUDIENCE!!!

Dude, you have practicing anesthesiologists out in the Real World (like Plank), paying their bills doing this craft, willing to come to this site and contribute and offer their opinions.

THAT'S GOLDEN MAN.

We're all different. We practice differently, we think differently, we have different opinions.

You don't have to agree with our opinions.

Quite frankly,

You are benefiting from our opinions and it is to your advantage at your stage to see

ALL SIDES OF THE EQUATION.

The only way you can see ALL SIDES OF THE EQUATION is to

LISTEN TO DIFFERENT SIDES OF THE STORY (this ain't North Korea dude...it still IS ok to have an opinion).

Dude, don't get me wrong.

I'm glad you're here and just you being here proves you're a

MOTIVATED MO FO

BUT

Don't lose perspective, man. Think of the development of

YOU. AS A DOCTOR.

Would you rather hear one side only? A biased side probably? All thru

ROSE COLORED GLASSES?

No man.

I'm gonna take the lead here and respectfully give you some advice at this point...advice you can use thru the rest of your development as a physician:

LISTEN TO ALL SIDES MAN. DON'T SHUT OUT OPINIONS OR SUGGESTIONS.

Listen to ALL since the more opinions/suggestions/ways to do procedures/how things are in general

you hear,

The better decision you can make

FOR YOURSELF.

Shunning opinions makes you

SMALLER IN KNOWLEDGE BASE.

You don't have to agree, but it will

HELP YOU GROW

IF YOU LISTEN.

Especially if the info is coming from a RELIABLE SOURCE.

Like Plank.

I'm not saying I agree with him, FYI.

But listening to him makes my knowledge base WIDER.

Listen to all sides.

IT MAKES THE DECISION YOU MAKE IN THE END FOR YOURSELF WISER.

Jet MD, LMFAO"

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I really do miss Jet. That guy was so damn fun to read and interact with. I wonder how he is doing.

Are You Ready For Private Practice? (BY JETPROPPILOT)

"(ADDENDUM: I wrote this a cuppla years ago. Its got alotta useful information in it for you. I'm bumping it for the benefit of my CA-3 colleagues who may have missed it and are gonna be on their own in a few months.)

I'm starting a thread that I hope will be useful for the current and future CA-3s out there. At the end of this year, CA-3s, your life will take a dramatic change. You will have clinical responsibilities where your decision is the final decision. You will be faced with the new dillemas of becoming a team player in a group practice, where every decision/opinion/action you take will be scrutinized, with the end result being whether you become a partner or not. And you and I know your goal is to become a partner.......job security being the primary objective; major c-notes being the secondary objective.

Problem is, in academia where most of you currently reside, there is no guidance for emerging practitioners....academia will guide you up to and including your last case as a resident. Thats it. After that last anesthetizing case you perform, AMFYOYO. See ya. Youre on your own. Buh-bye.

My last case at Tulane (circa June 30th, 1996) was a 3 hour hysterectomy. After I was done, I went to my locker and cleaned out my stuff.. That was it. No........"So Bill, whats the practice that you're going to like? Group? Hmmmm....we've got a few former private practice dudes around here....why don't we have you talk with them to give you a little perspective of private practice life, OK?"......

.....nothing to that effect happened. And I venture to say most residencies out there are similar in that minimal advice is given to finishing-senior-residents.

This is a problem with academia, Dudes.

Things need to change in academia....most graduating residents matriculate into a private practice model and yet this IMPORTANT fact is ignored in your training. You are not prepared clinically, emotionally, and business-wise for such a career jump....a jump that we all make. Hopefully some academic-deities will read this and realize the existent black hole in their residency program.

My goal is to recruit my fellow private practice dudes (Mil, Noy, UT) to post here in an effort to guide you through the right way to matriculate into a private group from residency, with the ultimate goal being you hit partnership (read: 6th round NFL draft pick salary).

And here, I'll take a bit of a tangent for med students/interns.

This kinda info may not be for you.

Maybe you're an individualist destined to secure power in your practice of medicine.

I respect that.

I'll also tell you that if you've selected anesthesia as a specialty you're probably not destined for stardom. Yeah, if you really want it you can become a John Tinker/Alan Kaye/Michael Roizen. But most of us out here making our living at this profession are flying under the radar. By definition we are the offensive line of medicine. We are the players that nobody really cares about.

You're either comfortable with that or you're not.

And if you are not, you probably need to select another specialty. Deep-six your anesthesia selection and go for heart surgery. Transplant. Family Practice/Pediatrics/Internal Medicine in a rural area where youre da man. Something that you can potentially have your name in the paper for.

And because of the (egocentric) personalities I've seen here on SDN and because of my periodic exposures to unhappy anesthesiologists, I'm gonna string this out a bit..... and I want you to think about this long and hard.....if you select anesthesia to pay your bills you will never be more than a supporting actor. The Brad-Pitt-of-surgeons will always steal the thunder. They are the glory boys. You are the (metaphorically) short, bald dude on Seinfeld.

A crucial aspect of the perioperative environment?

Absolutely.

The lead role?

Absolutely not. You are the offensive lineman. The punter that comes on in a crutch and kicks a fifty-six-yard punt. Or a field-goal kicker. You are Morten Anderson. Mr. Carney of the New Orleans Saints. Grammatica.

Again, get comfortable with this. And if this makes you uncomfortable take another route that'll satisfy your needs.

Are you comfortable being a sixth-round offensive lineman for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers?

Yes?

Great.

Then hear me out cuz you can personally benefit greatly. You can be in the top tier of reimbursement in the physician milleau.

TOTALLY different ballgame out here compared to the academic environment you are used to, folks.

Out here its about accomodating surgeons (without giving a "kiss-ass" impression), providing superior patient care, and getting the cases done as fast and efficient as possible.

Thats it.

Pretty simple s h it, huh?

Kinda like poker in that it takes a few minutes to learn but a lifetime to master.

So I'll start with a few suggestions and I'm sure my colleagues will chime in with ARE YOU READY FOR PRIVATE PRACTICE suggestions.

1) Now that you're employed by C-NOTE ANESTHESIA, LLC, its important, at least initiallly, to lose your individuality. Don't take that the wrong way. No, the group doesnt want a robot. They picked you, so thats a good thing. What a group doesnt want out of a new-hire is a dude/dudette who is inflexible, who insists on doing a certain situation a certain way..

...but heres a very important kicker....they arent gonna point this out to you. You either figure this out on your own and get accepted, or....uhhhhhh....you fall into the unliked, inflexible category.

Clandestine profiling going on???....Absolutely.

You may never hear a negative comment until your pink slip is presented. You either make the grade or you don't. On your own.

Most successful private groups are successful for a cuppla reasons: they are deft at anesthesia, and they know how to keep people happy. Successful anesthesia groups are able, amicable, and available.

You're used to putting the IJ in a CABG before induction but your new group typically does it after? Time for you to adapt to the group way.....you like a tube for knee scopes but the group exclusively uses LMAs? Youre used to regional for fem-pops but your new group does all GA??....same message....unless patient outcome is affected, fall into line....

Your new group will expect you to fall into line, not make waves, all the while with a smile on your face. Make conversation with the ortho dude during the 11pm hip ORIF. Make the impression that no matter what the request, you're happy to do it. Being a new-hire is not the time to take a stand about an issue. If presented with something weird, like a 2am BTL, do it. Then the next morning, call one of the senior partners and ask them if what occurred is normal. If it is not, the senior partner will address it. Not your turf right now. Later when you are a partner, yes. Now, no.

2)Make yourself irreplaceable. Private practice is all about speed, efficiency, and proficiency. Don't waste time. Don't do twenty minute pre-ops. Don't take twenty minutes to do anything. If you are taking twenty minutes right now to do an A-line/central line/epidural/etc, work on it NOW. Make yourself da masta. Problems? Seek out a deft attending and watch how he does it. Emulate him.

You are a CA-3 now. You need to concentrate on making yourself better, right now. Pick up the pace on your labor epidurals. Yeah, nobody gives a s h it how long you take right now....but come July on your first month with C-Note Anesthesia LLC, if you leave the main OR to go put in an eoidural and you return 45 minutes later, thats a problem.
More optimistically, if you leave the main OR for a labor epidural and you are back on the floor 15 minutes later, the senior partners will notice that.

3) There are a handful of procedures that we private practice dudes do every day. And the more deft you are at those procedures as a new hire, the better you're gonna look. Central lines, A lines, epidurals, spinals, interscalene blocs, axillary blocks, and of course intubations, are the crux of our procedural world. The better you are at those procedures, the better you're gonna look. Make an effort right now, as a resident, to optimize your skills. Think about speed, something your academic-attendings won't emphasize........believe me, they should be emphasizing speed...but thats another thread altogether.......

....are you at a residency where thats impossible? Where you do three interscalenes annually and yet the group you joined does three interscalenes daily?....its all good.......just be prepared to humbly learn from your senior partners. Watch them. Learn from them. Emulate them. All the while thinking about the Holy Grail....

4) Accept the fact that for at least the first year of private practice, you need to just go-with-the-flow. Don't make waves. Don't cancel cases unless you are absolutely sure its gonna affect patient outcome. Don't complain about your schedule. Don't make enemies with surgeons/CRNAs/circulators/administrators.

Gotta orthopedist wanting to do a hip ORIF on an ICU patient in florid pulmonary edema (yep, a situation I remember)? Well you gotta step up to the plate and say absolutely not.

Conversely, gotta true urgent-yet-not-emergent case being postponed 2 more hours because of NPO issues, with the surgeon sitting in the doctors lounge? Step up to the mike. Call for the patient.

5) So You're on call today. You are running the board.

Anticipate. Think ahead. Dr Smith the orthopedist just started a knee scope. How long does he take? 30 minutes? If he's got a case to follow, have you sent for the next patient? If the next case requires intervention by you (i.e. epidural for TKA), make sure everything is finished before Dr. Smith is done with his knee scope. Have the to-follow knee replacement in the holding area, epidural in and dosed before he is finished.

Go to the front desk frequently. Ask "has anybody pre-opped?" That one question will keep you informed if you've been busy doing something else......HAS ANYBODY PREOPPED???....if the answer is yes then you may be behind the eight-ball already. It is difficult, but doable, to stay ahead of an OR schedule. But thats your job. Thats how you can make yourself invaluable. Staying ahead of the OR schedule.

6) Be flexible. Hmmmmm....senior partner going to Las Vegas in November and needs you to switch a cuppla calls? "No problem, dude" is the right answer. I'm not implying that you incur abusive behavior, but hey, this is real life....and people periodically need to switch schedules. Make it a point during your partnership-trek to be flexible. Cuz this is the kinda s h it thats remembered come your partner-anniversary day

So thats a good start, albeit introductory. Theres a million things we need to cover on this subject, and I want my resident colleagues out there to hear the salient ones concerning successful private practice matriculation.

REAL WORLD info. Period. No holds barred. Love it or leave it. Thats how it goes down out here.

MIL, NOY, UT et al,

chime in with your wisdom.

Jet MD, LMFAO"

Reactions: 5 users
Dear resident colleagues: Ask "why?" (BY JETPROPPILOT)

"Fourteen years into this private practice gig, I've had an epiphany.

Anesthesia is like religion. You learn a buncha stuff thats questionable.

I encourage you, resident colleagues, when confronted with new material, a new case type, or when you are told "this is how you are supposed to do it,"

ask

WHY?

Lemme clarify myself.

I'm not suggesting you become an anti-social, angry, cynical hard core non-team player.

I'm not suggesting you call out an attending on his choice of anesthetic every time, just because you can.

I AM suggesting that a significant portion of your residency education is ACADEMIC DOGMA.

What I mean by that is you....the resident...is being apprenticed into our profession by the academic institution...the Pearly Gates, if you will...and a significant portion of your education is not supported to impact patient care.

in other words you are learning some stuff thats gonna waste YOUR time, the surgeons time, the patients time. You're learning stuff thats gonna make you needlessly delay and/or cancel cases. You're learning how to place invasive monitoring devices...which all have their place....but their indications are far less than what you've been lead to believe. You're learning the "danger" of putting a parturient to sleep over a neuraxial anesthetic...when that "danger" may impede you later to do the right/safe thing. Etc Etc Etc

Like religion, it is important for the individual to ponder

WHY AM I LEARNING THIS? IS IT RELEVANT TO ME LATER?

Anesthesia dogmas are legendary to those of us who have been earning our living practicing anesthesia; not spending half our careers writing books on anesthesia outside of the operating room.

I've been doing CASES every day of my private practice life. Day in and day out. Just like every other private practice anesthesiologist.

I am not in fear when I tell you

There is a HUGE difference between what you are learning in the academic setting...where there exists HUGE, LONG turnover times...which means there are fewer cases to learn from...than the more efficient private practice setting where cases are turned out in an efficient manner...day after day after day...

I want to instill in you to ask

WHY?

Maybe it just starts with asking yourself "why?"

Why am I placing this PA catheter?

Why is my attending cancelling this case because the sodium is 154?

Why is my attending delaying this C section 8 hours when the parturient had a cup of coffee if she's already considered a full stomach?

Is the 8 hour NPO rule some verse in the bible? At 8 hours does the stomach magically become void of gastric contents? If you go at 6 hours is there just a little in there? If you go at nine hours is there some vacuum effect?

Why is a patient fresh off dialysis being delayed because the phlebotomist is tied up and she can't draw a pre-op K+? Why do we need a pre-op K+? Was a KMart dialysis machine used or something?

Why am I starting this A line? Do I really need it?

Why am I starting a second IV, and delaying the surgery for said time? Do I really need it?

Why do I need to monitor CVP for this case, which means I have to place a central line? Do I really need it?

The potassium is 2.5 Is there any proof patient outcome will be altered by that lab value?

The glucose is 300. Do I need to cancel this case?

The HCT is 20. Do I automatically delay?

Theres no anesthesia consent. Its a nursing home patient who doesnt know what planet he's on, let alone what operation he's about to have. I've tried incessantly and can't get a family member. Its for a hip ORIF 48 hours post fracture. Do I stay or do I go?

Above are a couple :)laugh:) examples.

Some are an automatic go in my book.

Some are on the edge.

Thats getting off topic, though.

I want you, resident colleagues,

TO ASK: "WHY?

Jet MD, LMFAO"

Jet was pretty much the anesthesia forum. He was an idol to the young ones and a good friend to us old farts. He even kept us relatively civil.

I once spent a day reading all of his threads. Would have been nice to have interacted with him more on the forums

I’ve gotta be honest, I enjoy reading stuff by the slickster private guys so much more. It’s just more fun to think about being your own man/woman and not being so tied down by the man, the suits, the heirarchy, and the DOGMA.

Periopdoc is another guy I think is an absolute Jedi.

Reactions: 3 users
RIP UTSW

Reactions: 6 users
I probably learned the most from UTSW. Next is a toss up btw Mil and Jet.

I was the moderator back then and I got into a huge argument with a mod from another forum with piss poor participation who was trolling our forum and suspended Jet for something, I believe it was his colorful language. It was me against every other moderator and Lee. In the end I won some of the battles but lost some as well and they didn’t appreciate my colorful language much. Basically, I said that there was no way I was going to watch our forum become the dull PC under performing type that all of the others were. We won some freedoms at that time but I ultimately was removed from my post. Wow that was a long time ago. I wonder if that ***** I was arguing with is even still around?

Reactions: 2 users
The first thread on this section was opened on June 24, 2001. It had 2 replies, and it took another 4 months for the second thread to be created. By the end of 2002, there were only about 50 threads.

I want to point this out to the newer members. When you seen somebody registered between 2001-2003 or so, and still here, bow your head, even if you disagree. This forum is what it is because of them.

Noy, sevo, Arch, cchoukal and the others, chapeau! Blade, pgg and others came a few years later, but I feel the same way about them.:=|:-): I wouldn't enjoy this forum 10% as much without the oldies. I have learned here as much as from my own mistakes.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I probably learned the most from UTSW. Next is a toss up btw Mil and Jet.

I was the moderator back then and I got into a huge argument with a mod from another forum with piss poor participation who was trolling our forum and suspended Jet for something, I believe it was his colorful language. It was me against every other moderator and Lee. In the end I won some of the battles but lost some as well and they didn’t appreciate my colorful language much. Basically, I said that there was no way I was going to watch our forum become the dull PC under performing type that all of the others were. We won some freedoms at that time but I ultimately was removed from my post. Wow that was a long time ago. I wonder if that ***** I was arguing with is even still around?
Damn Noy, you put the smack down on someone huh? Not surprising. lol

Reactions: 1 users
Damn Noy, you put the smack down on someone huh? Not surprising. lol
Yeah back in the day I got pretty pissed at JPP for the thread he started in FM but what anesthesia does is best decided by y'all (within reason, of course).

Jet was pretty much the anesthesia forum. He was an idol to the young ones and a good friend to us old farts. He even kept us relatively civil.

Yeah back in the day I got pretty pissed at JPP for the thread he started in FM but what anesthesia does is best decided by y'all (within reason, of course).

It's funny how people remember things. I really enjoyed Jet and miss his contributions here ... but I had a number of arguments and confrontations with him both before and after I became a moderator ... and almost every one of those arguments was about being civil. He had a forceful style and personality. :)

The thread itself was epic although it was ill-conceived.

It's funny how people remember things. I really enjoyed Jet and miss his contributions here ... but I had a number of arguments and confrontations with him both before and after I became a moderator ... and almost every one of those arguments was about being civil. He had a forceful style and personality. :)
Which reminds me how some people can't stand @Consigliere or @Planktonmd, for the same reason. I love reading both, even when I disagree.

Yes, you two, that's the cue for showing your faces more. :nod:

Which reminds me how some people can't stand @Consigliere or @Planktonmd, for the same reason. I love reading both, even when I disagree.

Yes, you two, that's the cue for showing your faces more. :nod:
@Consigliere is even more jaded than you man. If that's even possible. And he has no problem calling a spade a spade.
He keeps it real. But he's on the line where "when keeping it real goes wrong" sometimes. Cracks me up mostly, but not always. Yeah, tactful he's not. But I have been accused of the same.

That was funny Choco.
But I’ll give VA a pass for having the guts to even post here calling attention to himself/herself.
And I actually do not remember who the person was. I seem to remember the name “Kent” but maybe that was the mod I was fighting with. That got worse than any tiff I might have had with VA (which I don’t recall).
But I surely didn’t call him a *****. That’s harsh.

I called him an “idiot”. Kent or whatever his name was.

That was funny Choco.
But I’ll give VA a pass for having the guts to even post here calling attention to himself/herself.
And I actually do not remember who the person was. I seem to remember the name “Kent” but maybe that was the mod I was fighting with. That got worse than any tiff I might have had with VA (which I don’t recall).

My bad. Guess those two words are interchangeable to me. Oops!

Soo.... are you said *****?
Ha, well played.

But no, for some crazy reason I've never been asked to be a moderator of any of these forums.

Also, with incredibly rare exceptions (and jet was never one of those) the only posts I report are very obvious spam or trolling posts

That was funny Choco.

I don't think I've ever had a problem with you at any point. Generally speaking, when I venture into specialty forums that are not my own I try and behave myself.

Edit: the Family Medicine section used to have a moderator who went by Clark Kent, so I'm fairly confident that's who that would have been

I miss him. I have never met him, but every time I bump into one of his old posts, I feel happy. There is so much wisdom there, they are probably worth a read just by themselves. He's nuts, but who cares? A beautiful mind.

@jetproppilot, where are you? You've been away for so long, the forum software doesn't autofill your name anymore.

JPP and I met at Childrens Hospital New Orleans in the early 1990s. Instantly bonded, probably because of our love of airplanes (we're both licensed pilots), similar pilot-like mentality and approach to doing anesthesia, and identical joie de vrie. We worked for the same group for several years in the early 2000s before he moved away, much to my dismay. We still correspond regularly. I consider myself extremely fortunate, both personally and professionally, to have met him. I occasionally prod him to rejoin SDN but it's a work in progress. Not only is he a damned good anesthesiologist, but he is an outstanding example of grit and resilience and could be a successful philosopher about life in general outside of anesthesia.

JPP and I met at Childrens Hospital New Orleans in the early 1990s. Instantly bonded, probably because of our love of airplanes (we're both licensed pilots), similar pilot-like mentality and approach to doing anesthesia, and identical joie de vrie. We worked for the same group for several years in the early 2000s before he moved away, much to my dismay. We still correspond regularly. I consider myself extremely fortunate, both personally and professionally, to have met him. I occasionally prod him to rejoin SDN but it's a work in progress. Not only is he a damned good anesthesiologist, but he is an outstanding example of grit and resilience and could be a successful philosopher about life in general outside of anesthesia.
What is his hesitation for rejoining? Did he feel his unique style was unwelcome here?

What is his hesitation for rejoining? Did he feel his unique style was unwelcome here?

I don't want to accidentally violate any confidence he may have shared with me, intending for it to remain private. Let's just say that right now he's in a well-deserved, rewarding, and fulfilling place both professionally and personally. I'm very happy for him.

Jet always struck me as a bit . . . high strung.
But man, was he excited to be here.

SDN has fallen off of my radar a bit. I should get it back into the rotation.

I've had a few usernames over the past 14 years..... Lots of good dudes on this forum. But, man I would love to know how Jet is doing these days. That guy had some crazy charisma.

Anyone have any idea what he's up to these days???

I joined SDN in 2000 - finished med school in 2004 and residency in 2008. I learned a lot from this forum - didn't contribute that much and wish I had more - come back from time to time to see how things are - also miss Jet - always enjoyed his posts!