This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shruggs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a freshman double majoring in Biochemistry (BA) and Music Performance (BM) and honestly I don't have any time at all to do anything, ever. I need more time because I commute (1.5hr commute one way) and I'm away from home roughly 14 hours a day, 3 times a week, and around 8-10 the other 3 days of the week (I'm at school 6 days a week).
I really enjoy music but I don't want to be a professional musician when I grow up. I have carpal tunnel, and I'm not exactly a "prodigy"; I started playing Viola in 5th grade and somehow got into the major out of pure luck. However, I feel like if I give up on my music major then I'll be giving up on myself and letting everyone down around me, especially my professor. She is so amazing and I don't want to give up on that relationship that's started to develop between us.
I was also considering doing music education instead of performance but IDK about that as well, because music ed is just as time consuming (but it would be a GREAT back-up for med, just in case I don't get in and I love working with students). I considered dropping my Biochemistry major but it's a degree I can earn through taking pre-reqs and like a couple extra science classes... One thing I do know is that I wouldn't want to solely be a Biochem major because if I don't go into medicine, I wouldn't be able to see myself working in a chem lab. What should I do? Should I change my major to Music Ed+Biochem, just Music Ed, or drop both majors and go into something completely different(?!)

Thank you so much for reading this post and sorry for rambling on about everything
Shruggs

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do whatever your heart desires. Your major doesn’t mean much. Just ace your pre-reqs and maintain a solid GPA. Don’t forget you’ll need to focus on other areas of your app to be more competitive such as research, clinical and non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, etc.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
You can’t get a degree in biochem with prereqs and “a couple extra” science classes

Which degree will you get As in?

Why don’t you live closer to school?

Gpa so far?

Friendship with a professor is not a reason for major selection

Members don't see this ad :)
I commented on your other post. Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. There aren't too many of us music people on these sites ;)

Music ed absolutely should not be a back-up major. It takes MORE time than music performance. Less time in practicing, but way more time in classes/rehearsals/etc. However, you're right that it has a lot more future as a career than a performance degree. You have to really love it though.

Based on the things you have written, it sounds like you'd ultimately prefer to keep music as a hobby, which is TOTALLY FINE. There will always be community orchestras wherever you go! I would recommend finding a different major (outside of music or biochemistry) that will allow you to do well without sucking the life out of you. As long as you get your pre-reqs in, it doesn't matter what you major in. For example, business would take much less time out of your day while giving you excellent prospects for a backup career.

If I could go back in time, I would choose a non-science major and take my pre-med reqs. I would suggest that!

Reactions: 2 users
From your explanation, you enjoy music and dont especially prefer the biochem degree (dont want to work in a lab.) It sounds like you should work on the majority of your music major and only focus on the prereqs, biochem, maybe genetics and drop the biochem major st your convenience.
Another option may be music with a minor in biology.

Reactions: 1 user
Med schools don't care about your major. Do what you enjoy - sounds like music in your case - and take the necessary prerequisites for med school if that is what you want to pursue. Agree with above - get a roommate and live closer to campus, if you want to be competitive for med school you don't have time to commute 3 hrs per day.

However, I feel like if I give up on my music major then I'll be giving up on myself and letting everyone down around me, especially my professor. She is so amazing and I don't want to give up on that relationship that's started to develop between us.
... One thing I do know is that I wouldn't want to solely be a Biochem major because if I don't go into medicine, I wouldn't be able to see myself working in a chem lab.

I don’t recommend majoring in biochemistry or any biology related major. The career options outside of medicine are poor and these majors make you look unoriginal and part of the pack. Instead, I would major in music performance/education and complete the prereqs on the side. Your music background will make you stand out and offer interesting things to talk about in secondaries and interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
yea if you're only majoring in Biochem for med school I don't see the purpose of it... you can do whatever music major you want and just take the premed pre-reqs and you'd be fine... with that if med school doesn't work out then you still have the music degree if you want to pursue that further... I say go with the music major, drop the biochem

To add my few cents, I agree with @tiramisucheese and @Lawper, though for different reasons. Music ed can be really tough (idk about your school, but some places), and there will always be opportunities to gig, no matter where you end up. That being said, if you don't really love biochemistry as a major, you probably shouldn't do it. You don't need more than a year (max) for most med schools, and biochem/hard science courses tend to tank the GPA unless you put in loads of work.

FWIW, I think you might be well served by seeing if there's a generic music major at your school. If not, you have a choice: if you really love biochem, drop music. If you really love music, drop biochem (you could also do one as a minor instead of dropping it completely). If you don't really love either, you could pick the easier one or find a different major.

Side note: you could probably drop the music performance major and keep the professor as a private teacher.

To add my few cents, I agree with @tiramisucheese and @Lawper, though for different reasons. Music ed can be really tough (idk about your school, but some places), and there will always be opportunities to gig, no matter where you end up. That being said, if you don't really love biochemistry as a major, you probably shouldn't do it. You don't need more than a year (max) for most med schools, and biochem/hard science courses tend to tank the GPA unless you put in loads of work.

FWIW, I think you might be well served by seeing if there's a generic music major at your school. If not, you have a choice: if you really love biochem, drop music. If you really love music, drop biochem (you could also do one as a minor instead of dropping it completely). If you don't really love either, you could pick the easier one or find a different major.

Side note: you could probably drop the music performance major and keep the professor as a private teacher.

I like the minor option. I was going to double major in math and English, but I figured it would be too much, and med schools don't give a **** about double majors. I still really liked lit and writing, so I just did a minor in English. Worked out great.

yea if you're only majoring in Biochem for med school I don't see the purpose of it... you can do whatever music major you want and just take the premed pre-reqs and you'd be fine... with that if med school doesn't work out then you still have the music degree if you want to pursue that further... I say go with the music major, drop the biochem

Lol I'm pretty sure a biochem degree is more marketable than a music performance degree. At least you can go be a lab tech somewhere. I've known many music performance majors who ended up at Starbucks or working retail after college.

Lol I'm pretty sure a biochem degree is more marketable than a music performance degree. At least you can go be a lab tech somewhere. I've known many music performance majors who ended up at Starbucks or working retail after college.

I know of a physician, a lawyer, and a dentist with music degrees.. but I don't know many music degree folks

I know of a physician, a lawyer, and a dentist with music degrees.. but I don't know many music degree folks

Yes? I was referring to life after graduation without continuing education.

yea biochem degree is more practical but OP clearly states they have no desire to work in a lab... if you don't get into med school, what else could you do besides research w/ a biochem degree?

yea biochem degree is more practical but OP clearly states they have no desire to work in a lab... if you don't get into med school, what else could you do besides research w/ a biochem degree?

Yeah, nothing really. Although I would argue that either of these majors is still better than any "___ Studies" major.