This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ganesh1001

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I just want to know straight up what my chances are for getting into a medical school. I am starting to lose confidence in myself, but need to know whether it is worth to pursue anymore. I will give you all the information I can:

University- Johns Hopkins
Major: Neuroscience

Cum. GPA: 3.64
BCPM: 3.58
MCAT: currently studying for (I am taking one gap year)

Research Experience:
1) Currently working at the medical school downtown on my own project (branch of my grad student's) surrounding muscle disorders (since Aug 2015)- hopefully can create a poster of some sort
2) social science project conducting a study about the economic connection between human trafficking and consumption of pornography among college aged men (won a $1500 grant to do so) (since Jan 2015)
3) worked in a lab during my sophomore year (but no publications/posters)...i learned some stuff but not a lot from here.

Medically Related Experience:
1) Shadowing a neurologist and did for a few weeks back during the fall semester, could not shadow in the spring because of class conflict, but started up again. I am working on a case report with a genetic counselor i met. (3 hrs/ week for 7 weeks thus far)
2) shadowing a surgeon (45 hrs week/10 weeks). got 2 publications- one case report and another case study that I wrote up with a medical student.

Community Service:
1) founder of a literary magazine that I started in high school after a volunteering experience during my sophomore year. we are publishing our 10th issue soon. it is a literary magazine with articles written by children as a platform used to express themselves.
2) i work as a case manager at charm city clinic (have been since Jan 2015), but took some time off to study for the MCATs. i want to return after they are done.
3) volunteer for Hop Help- a tutoring organization here, that I want to get involved with again but took some time off from
4) was a volunteer intern during my sophomore summer to develop a novel nutrition and fitness program for kids

Leadership:
1) president of the pre-med honor society here, will start in fall 2016 (been a part of the group since spring 2015)
2) E. board member of a group of campus planning step up week- a week dedicated to thanking all those that give back to us at hopkins (since spring 2015)
3) publicity committee on the student advocacy board- promote service events and help to plan them on campus (since aug 2014)

Other:
1) TA for a neuroscience related course starting this fall
2) writer and print editor for the triple helix- a science magazine on campus. my first written article was published in the international edition and I have edited a few articles as an editor (since fall 2013)

I am interested in how education can shape so many careers and paths and I want to apply that to medicine. during my gap year, I want to get involved in education- and I think some of my ECs show that I am very passionate about education.

Yeah, so please any advice or words of wisdom. personally, i dont think I am that strong, but need to hear it from some other objective opinions, i suppose. please do let me know.
 
If you score at least 508 in the MCAT your chances for a MD acceptance are 2/3. It could be higher if you apply appropriately to schools that match your stats. You would also be competitive for any DO school with a MCAT of at least 505.