i need some advice - computer froze !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kliz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so while I was doing the RC section on my DATs yesterday my computer froze and wouldn't let me answer the rest of the section. I believe I was in #26? So I notified the proctor and everything but they couldn't do anything for me. They said to call the prometric center and see what they can do. So i did this and then they told me to call ADA, as well. Basically, ADA told me that they would give me a retake. But I really don't want to do a retake, because I am happy with my scores and all my scores went up from the first time I took it. I was just wondering if you guys have any opinion or suggestions on what I should do. I called up schools and they told me that I can email them or send them a letter saying that the computer froze during my test, and some said I need to give a reason on why I wouldn't want to retake it. I don't know what to do! Please help! I'm in panic mode!!!

Well, These are my scores

First Dat Second DAT
BIO 17 20
GCHEM 19 20
ORGO 23 20
PAT 17 21
QR 18 19
RC 18 15 ---> :(

GPa 3.3 goes to stony brook. what to do ? what to do? Help!

Thanks !!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it depends when you would be able to retake. If it would be immediately, then I would do that... to be honest, with your GPA, you don't need any sections that are low. You have a legit excuse for that RC, but it just makes things harder. If you would have to wait any significant amount of time for the retake (more than a week), I would try to go with the current scores. Tough situation to be in... good luck regardless.

edit: disregard all that if you are not applying this cycle... I couldn't tell if that's the case

yes, i am applying this cycle.

Thanks for your advice, I called ADA up again and they said that processing will take 2 weeks, and plus I would have to schedule with prometric again, and I think it will take more than 2 weeks for me to retake the test again.

I called the prometric site and they said all they can so is write an apology letter stating that this happened during my test. I just don't know where to go from here. It is so late in the cycle, I just don't know what to do.

But thanks for the advice anyway!

yes, i am applying this cycle.

Thanks for your advice, I called ADA up again and they said that processing will take 2 weeks, and plus I would have to schedule with prometric again, and I think it will take more than 2 weeks for me to retake the test again.

I called the prometric site and they said all they can so is write an apology letter stating that this happened during my test. I just don't know where to go from here. It is so late in the cycle, I just don't know what to do.

But thanks for the advice anyway!

I would take the retake, if you can get 20's in ur sciences then ur good to go, and you shoudl have no problems come test day. Gluck on ur test. AND REMEMBER. Its all about confidence. You will do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not retake. I just faxed my DAT with the letter to schools and e mail ALL of the schools to make sure they recieved the letter w/ ure scores. I elieve u will be fine this way .

what ever you'll do, good luck to you.

So what did you do for the rest of RC?
Your comp froze but what happened after that?
You only answered 26 questions but still got a 15.

I would just retake it. Considering how much info you retained since the test, you could actually do better because you could get some more studying in with this extra time. The only wildcard sections are Bio and RC, and I definitely think you could improve your RC scores considerably!

So what did you do for the rest of RC?
Your comp froze but what happened after that?
You only answered 26 questions but still got a 15.

I agree with you. I had an exactly same problem. My computer froze middle of RC, I moved around to different computer guided by proctor. Finally I could not continue because computer did not accept my answer. They eventually turned my computer off. No QR at all because RC section wouldn't move on. 3 days later I took DAT with different version.

You are so lucky to have all of DAT score out. I do not know how you did but it is good sign.
If you want to talk about this to the admission then do not sound like a one of excuses. Express with a strong and positive attitude , you have to.