This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

do i have a shot at a post bach program?

• yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • no

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

xxdaydreamerxx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
(current junior) Unfortunately most of my math science courses were during my first 1.5 years of college when I had a parathyroid tumor (increases calcium and hormones in the body and impairs cognitive abilities, not to mention physical tiredness)which affected my ability to study, exhausted all the time, felt bad, etc. Once i had the tumor removed, I felt great and I'm doing better in my courses. So I can pull up my cumulative overall gpa to a 3.4 or so by the end of senior year, however my math/science gpa will probably be in the 2.5-2.7 range by the time I'm done. -sigh-( i wish i never had this stupid health problem). My questions are....
1. Can I get accepted to any post bach programs near the philadelphia or even NJ/NY/VA/MD area ?
-- i read that a lot of them require a 3.0 but im not sure if that means cumulative or science
2. Are all post bach programs competitive? I would like to get into one with a linkage to a med school.
3. OR should i just stay another year for undergrad and take more science courses?

If you have any other advice, that would be great. I am in a terrible position mentally as of now because I feel that 1.5 year messed up my whole life!!

-- Currently working on research in neuroscience, tons of other EC's, and will take the MCAT soon

Members don't see this ad.

With that kind of GPA, I personally would do a DIY postbacc, not a formal program - you may not get accepted to one of those. Once you've taken all your premed requirements and other hard sciences again and have raised your GPA, you could try for a SMP with linkage, or just apply outright if you raised your GPA by a sufficient amount.

With that kind of GPA, I personally would do a DIY postbacc, not a formal program - you may not get accepted to one of those. Once you've taken all your premed requirements and other hard sciences again and have raised your GPA, you could try for a SMP with linkage, or just apply outright if you raised your GPA by a sufficient amount.

What exactly is a DIY post Bach?
Also, I just checked that for DO school I would have a 3.4 non science/cumulative and a 3.3 science. Should I skip post Bach entirely and just shoot for DO?

What exactly is a DIY post Bach?
Also, I just checked that for DO school I would have a 3.4 non science/cumulative and a 3.3 science. Should I skip post Bach entirely and just shoot for DO?
DIY post bacc would just be taking the classes yourself - just signing up and attending the typical pre-med classes without a formal program.

For DO, with those GPAs you'd probably have a decent shot if you did very well on the MCAT. It's hard to tell until you get a MCAT score back.

Reactions: 1 user