I sent more LORs than the maximum for a school on AMCAS, what do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timbernight

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I may have done this for more than one school by accident, but in the section of the AMCAS primary that asks you to check the boxes for what letters to send to each medical school applied to, I checked "ALL" for all of them, since they are all good letters and they will all be applicable to each school.

But I just noticed that Oakland Beaumont has a "maximum of 5 letters accepted." I checked the boxes for all 6 of my letters (I just double checked, and all 6 checkboxes went through. AMCAS didn't restrict me from checking 6 or anything.)

Do I have another chance to choose which letters they read? I know which one I would prefer to remove out of the 6. Or will AMCAS randomly give them 5 out of the 6?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I may have done this for more than one school by accident, but in the section of the AMCAS primary that asks you to check the boxes for what letters to send to each medical school applied to, I checked "ALL" for all of them, since they are all good letters and they will all be applicable to each school.

But I just noticed that Oakland Beaumont has a "maximum of 5 letters accepted." I checked the boxes for all 6 of my letters (I just double checked, and all 6 checkboxes went through. AMCAS didn't restrict me from checking 6 or anything.)

Do I have another chance to choose which letters they read? I know which one I would prefer to remove out of the 6. Or will AMCAS randomly give them 5 out of the 6?
You can't change your election. AMCAS will send all the letters you designated, if they have received them. How do schools handle LORs that exceed the limit: This might be mentioned in the FAQ area on each school's website. They may read the first five LORs only. You have no choice in what letters any school chooses to read.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a buddy who accidentally did the same thing. He was ultimately accepted so I assume it's not a big deal. As Catalystik said, they probably just pick and choose the letters they read.

Reactions: 1 user