If I ever hear someone say

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:laugh: inb4 all black people look alike.

Oh man.. I'm not going to go digging through that thread.. but Se7en is a necessary watch for sure... I'm not sure I want to know the others out of fear/sadness

You must be a gem in real life.

Members don't see this ad.

I love the

A: *Makes a ridiculously overexaggerated statement about jumping off a building
B: *calls bluff, highlights ridiculousness
A: "OMG I'm reporting you for encouraging suicide :eek::eek::eek: "

plotline here. Beautiful.

You started it, man...you can't really complain about people "encouraging" an action and making light of suicide when you were the one who set that tone by making light of it and using it to exaggerate your sentiment at the beginning. By joking about it first, you opened that door...and then reported the next person who stepped through it. :confused:

I love the

You started it, man...you can't really complain about people "encouraging" an action and making light of suicide when you were the one who set that tone by making light of it and using it to exaggerate your sentiment at the beginning. By joking about it first, you opened that door...and then reported the next person who stepped through it. :confused:

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
2915435_274985_3739357552_p.jpg

Checkmate OP.

I love the

I don't care about someone saying anything.

What I care about is the statement:

"please dear god don't disappoint me now,"

Which was what made it offensive. I mean, I was just kidding around, but when the user made that statement, he changed everything.

I don't care about someone saying anything.

What I care about is the statement:

"please dear god don't disappoint me now,"

Which was what made it offensive. I mean, I was just kidding around, but when the user made that statement, he changed everything.

Alright, here we go:

A Primer On The Three Main Situations Where "Go Kill Yourself" Is Used On The Internet:

1. p1: "I am so depressed, I wanna die"
_ p2: "Do it! Do it!"
This person is a tool. They are profoundly incapable of empathy over the internet, and should ideally have their internet access revoked.
Level: Complete *******ry, always inappropriate
2. p1: "Something really stupid"
_ p2: "You are stupid. Go kill yourself."
This person is insensitive; often they are attempting to make a joke, but by bringing suicide in a completely inappropriate/irrelevant context, they demonstrate that they do not really comprehend the potential impact of those words.
Level:In poor taste, though the issue is primarily one of escalation (aka jumping from normal conversational levels to suicide jokes without making sure everyone ends up on the same page)​
3. p1: "If xyz, I would kill myself" (hyperbole)
_ p2: "XYZ!! So...does that mean you're gonna do it?"
This person is taking a preexisting lighthearted reference to suicide and calling the bluff. It is primarily a way to highlight the ridiculousness of the initial statement in an attempt to elicit laughter and/or get the OP to recognize the overintensity of their sentiment.
Level: Mostly harmless, often quite amusing. Done in good spirit, though as with any joke, there are situations where it can be taken too far.

So, yes, I'd agree that the "don't disappoint me now" brings it up from a solid 3 to maybe a 2.5...but keep in mind that one of the biggest issues with a 2-style situation is the escalation factor. As you had already solidly planted us in the "suicide jokes" court, this still reads more as "joke with poor presentation" than anything else.

To a certain extent, by introducing the lighthearted hyperbole in the first post, you essentially declared a tolerance for a certain amount of joking around this subject. To do so and then cry "insensitivity" is to basically say "It's only funny when I say it." This might very well be true for you. However, if it is, you would be wise not to avoid the issue yourself so as not to create any confusion or put yourself in this position.

Alright, here we go:

So, yes, I'd agree that the "don't disappoint me now" brings it up from a solid 3 to maybe a 2.5...but keep in mind that one of the biggest issues with a 2-style situation is the escalation factor. As you had already solidly planted us in the "suicide jokes" court, this still reads more as "joke with poor presentation" than anything else.

To a certain extent, by introducing the lighthearted hyperbole in the first post, you essentially declared a tolerance for a certain amount of joking around this subject. To do so and then cry "insensitivity" is to basically say "It's only funny when I say it." This might very well be true for you. However, if it is, you would be wise not to avoid the issue yourself so as not to create any confusion or put yourself in this position.

Lold

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Personally, I'm not toooooo bothered by it, but encouraging suicide, even in jest, is against the ToS.

tl;dr, but check out my signature for my favorite med school comparison.

Personally, I'm not toooooo bothered by it, but encouraging suicide, even in jest, is against the ToS.

So is creating threads like all of the ones you create.

Trolling / Repeat Trolls

The term troll is a slang term used to describe a number of things, traditionally it refers to a person who posts items intended to incite controversy or conflict. An individual posting honestly-held but controversial opinions is welcome at SDN. However, trolls are not. A troll's primary incentive is the incitement of conflict.

Stop being so sensitive.

Trolling / Repeat Trolls

The term troll is a slang term used to describe a number of things, traditionally it refers to a person who posts items intended to incite controversy or conflict. An individual posting honestly-held but controversial opinions is welcome at SDN. However, trolls are not. A troll’s primary incentive is the incitement of conflict.

1) All my threads are related to issues in medicine or medical education.

2) I don't post opinions that I don't honestly hold.

1) All my threads are related to issues in medicine or medical education.

2) I don't post opinions that I don't honestly hold.

All your threads are created to bait people into calling you out for creating a terrible thread.

If you honestly think men can't be obgyns because there are exposed female genitalia in the room.. Well then idk what to tell you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol u guys weren't around in the swissmed/once/uppereastside era... Now THOSE were bad threads

my irrelevant post critiqued by another irrelevant post

It's completely relevant. It's a distractor from the important lesson. Therefore, it's much like minutiae on pre-clinical exams in med school. mind blown.

It's completely relevant. It's a distractor from the important lesson. Therefore, it's much like minutiae on pre-clinical exams in med school. mind blown.

You have a point;)

So what you are saying that it is relevant because it is irrelevant....:boom:

So what you are saying that it is relevant because it is irrelevant....:boom:

I'm saying it's not irrelevant because it's relevant to an irrelevant topic that is relevant to the thread.

I'm saying it's not irrelevant because it's relevant to an irrelevant topic that is relevant to the thread.

Wrong again. It's relevant because it's irrelevant to a relevant topic that is irrelevant to the thread.

Wrong again. It's relevant because it's irrelevant to a relevant topic that is irrelevant to the thread.

This is a pre-med forum. Fire hydrants are irrelevant.

Wrong. According to the OP:

Right. Fire hydrants are relevant to the thread. But the topic of firehydrants is irrelevant to pre-med.

This is a pre-med forum. Fire hydrants are irrelevant.

I once stuck my hand in front of a fire hose while I had turned it up to max blast, and it did not go so well. If only I'd tried drinking from it...

I remember studying circles from my high school geometry class. That was totally pointless.

The compass used to draw circles has a point.