This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

methyleneblue09

Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year Caribbean medical student, and I have a terrible step 1 score of 212...I'm not sure what happened there but I'm working towards a redeemable step 2 score. I'm interested in FM, IM and Peds (basically primary care), but I also want to make SURE I get a residency in one of those 3 specialties. I was thinking of getting 2 LORs from IM, and 1 LOR from FM. Thanks to my score I think I have the greatest chance of matching into FM (atleast according to stats), so would having those IM LORs hurt my application?? I don't want the FM programs to think they are a back-up, I just want to apply broadly and make sure I get a residency once I graduate. What should I do? Should I get 2 LORs from FM and focus on that or is there a chance I could get into IM with my score? Please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your Step 1 score isn't great for an IMG, you are right about that. I'm assuming you're a US-IMG? The numbers are different for US-IMGs vs foreign IMGs.

Looking at the charting outcomes for IMGs from 2016 (I don't think they have an IMG specific version for 2018 right now?) http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-IMGs-2016.pdf

Family medicine you've got a little better than 50/50 based just on the Step 1 score (108 matched, 77 didn't match)
Peds you've got about a 50/50 shot based purely on the step 1 score
IM is the worst chance, you've got a little less than 50/50 chance based on the Step 1 score.

So yeah, I'd go for FM or Peds if you want the best chance (and FM if you want purely the best chance based on numbers).
Keep in mind you should be shooting for a 230+ on your practice tests for Step 2CK, it looks like thats about where the numbers flip and you start having a significantly higher chance of matching based on the charts.

Your Step 1 score isn't great for an IMG, you are right about that. I'm assuming you're a US-IMG? The numbers are different for US-IMGs vs foreign IMGs.

Looking at the charting outcomes for IMGs from 2016 (I don't think they have an IMG specific version for 2018 right now?) http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-IMGs-2016.pdf

Family medicine you've got a little better than 50/50 based just on the Step 1 score (108 matched, 77 didn't match)
Peds you've got about a 50/50 shot based purely on the step 1 score
IM is the worst chance, you've got a little less than 50/50 chance based on the Step 1 score.

So yeah, I'd go for FM or Peds if you want the best chance (and FM if you want purely the best chance based on numbers).
Keep in mind you should be shooting for a 230+ on your practice tests for Step 2CK, it looks like thats about where the numbers flip and you start having a significantly higher chance of matching based on the charts.

2018 charting outcomes for IMGs - https://mk0nrmpcikgb8jxyd19h.kinsta.../Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-IMGs.pdf