This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

methyleneblue09

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a 3rd year Caribbean medical student, and I have a terrible step 1 score of 212...I'm not sure what happened there but I'm working towards a redeemable step 2 score. I'm interested in FM, IM and Peds (basically primary care), but I also want to make SURE I get a residency in one of those 3 specialties. I was thinking of getting 2 LORs from IM, and 1 LOR from FM. Thanks to my score I think I have the greatest chance of matching into FM (atleast according to stats), so would having those IM LORs hurt my application?? I don't want the FM programs to think they are a back-up, I just want to apply broadly and make sure I get a residency once I graduate. What should I do? Should I get 2 LORs from FM and focus on that or is there a chance I could get into IM with my score? Please help!!
 
Your Step 1 score isn't great for an IMG, you are right about that. I'm assuming you're a US-IMG? The numbers are different for US-IMGs vs foreign IMGs.

Looking at the charting outcomes for IMGs from 2016 (I don't think they have an IMG specific version for 2018 right now?) http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-IMGs-2016.pdf

Family medicine you've got a little better than 50/50 based just on the Step 1 score (108 matched, 77 didn't match)
Peds you've got about a 50/50 shot based purely on the step 1 score
IM is the worst chance, you've got a little less than 50/50 chance based on the Step 1 score.

So yeah, I'd go for FM or Peds if you want the best chance (and FM if you want purely the best chance based on numbers).
Keep in mind you should be shooting for a 230+ on your practice tests for Step 2CK, it looks like thats about where the numbers flip and you start having a significantly higher chance of matching based on the charts.
 
Your Step 1 score isn't great for an IMG, you are right about that. I'm assuming you're a US-IMG? The numbers are different for US-IMGs vs foreign IMGs.

Looking at the charting outcomes for IMGs from 2016 (I don't think they have an IMG specific version for 2018 right now?) http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-IMGs-2016.pdf

Family medicine you've got a little better than 50/50 based just on the Step 1 score (108 matched, 77 didn't match)
Peds you've got about a 50/50 shot based purely on the step 1 score
IM is the worst chance, you've got a little less than 50/50 chance based on the Step 1 score.

So yeah, I'd go for FM or Peds if you want the best chance (and FM if you want purely the best chance based on numbers).
Keep in mind you should be shooting for a 230+ on your practice tests for Step 2CK, it looks like thats about where the numbers flip and you start having a significantly higher chance of matching based on the charts.

2018 charting outcomes for IMGs - https://mk0nrmpcikgb8jxyd19h.kinsta.../Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-IMGs.pdf