IM with step score <200?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

F1rstGen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
US MD at a state school here, just received my step 1 score and it was under 200 but passing. NBMEs were way higher so I'm assuming I just laid an egg on exam day, but what is done is done. What are my chances of matching IM literally anywhere in the country?

I'm interested in either traditional or primary care tracks (I'm planning on doing rural practice post-residency) and I'm ok with the idea of a FM residency as well but would really like to make a push for IM if feasible.

Already studying for step 2 now, my evaluations thus far in my rotations have all been hugely positive, and I'm working on adding some research to my CV so I'm trying my best to make sure the low step score is an anomaly on my app.

-Thanks for any help

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are a lot of community programs out there so you'll be fine. If you want a place that will open up fellowship opportunities then that's a different story, but you can definitely match into an internal medicine program if thats your end all be all.

Reactions: 1 user