This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Step 1: 251
Step 2 CK: 245
Step 2 CS: Pass
Step 3: 223
YoG: 2013
Visa Status: Need visa
Programs Applied to: 65

Also fired from last residency - 65 programs only is going to be very low amount of programs

Members don't see this ad.

I can only apply to H1 programs and there aren't too many of them, especially that allow my year of graduation.
But thank you for pointing it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1 226
Step CK 233
CS passed
All 1st attempt
YOG 2015
USCE 3 months
3/4 US LoRs
103 programs
Pending Green Card
1 acknowledgement from program in Florida

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
what does acknowledgement mean? I take it they are trying to say you have not been auto-rejected?
Yes. Take it as an n=1. But I just got ECFMG certified today and now the acknowledgement came in. Nothing yesterday. To me that means some programs filter by ECFMG certification.

Reactions: 2 users
1st acknowledgement from NY!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys I'm scared! I haven't gotten any acknowledgements yet, is this good or bad??

Honestly, I don’t know. I’m just happy, that it’s not a rejection :))

who got fired? for what? why? how?

See the poster I quoted

I don’t mean it in a malicious way - it’s genuinely an uphill battle answer 65 programs is a very small amount. But if there are restrictions on H1 and grad year that’s a separate issue

See the poster I quoted

I don’t mean it in a malicious way - it’s genuinely an uphill battle answer 65 programs is a very small amount. But if there are restrictions on H1 and grad year that’s a separate issue
I read a little bit, all I can saw is WOW!

So that person is going for PGY-2? not in the same category as the rest of us

I read a little bit, all I can saw is WOW!

So that person is going for PGY-2? not in the same category as the rest of us
No I think the person is re-applying to residency from PGY-1 is my understanding.

Hey guys, stick to the topic at hand. We're here to discuss amongst ourselves our application statuses, so there's no need to delve into a person's hardships. Best thing to do is show compassion and mind our own business. Everything here said respectfully, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Step 1: 245
Step 2ck: 250s
Step 2cs: 1st pass
Step 3: not yet
USCE : 3 months clerkships
Research : 7 pubs + 2 pending
YOG: 2018
Need VISA
3 US LORs + 1 home country
Applied to 160

People have interviews but are not sharing, I dont understand why?

Hey guys,

Step 1: 215
Step 2CK: 240
Step 2CS: pass
all first attempts
USCE: 10 months total, 3 months clerkship
Research: was a research assistant with BU, and a case report
YOG: Dec 2016
citizen US IMG
4 US LORs
applied to over 260 programs

Yeah its not the greatest lineup, but I'm hoping its enough. What are my chances?

Hey guys,

Step 1: 215
Step 2CK: 240
Step 2CS: pass
all first attempts
USCE: 10 months total, 3 months clerkship
Research: was a research assistant with BU, and a case report
YOG: Dec 2016
citizen US IMG
4 US LORs
applied to over 260 programs

Yeah its not the greatest lineup, but I'm hoping its enough. What are my chances?
Step 1 will hurt you a little since a lot of programs filter at 220, other than that I think your a solid candidate. Especially with CK improvement, USCE, YOG and a citizen. You may want to email some programs that state minimum 220 and express your interest and improvement.

US-IMG
Step 1: 244+
Step 2: 244+
USCE: All US Rotations
Research: 5 months at a major academic center. 1 First Author Manuscript Submission. Another 2 manuscripts that'll be submitted in the next couple weeks, will update programs when they're submitted. 1 Poster Presentation.
EC: Med Mission Trip Abroad.
Feel Free to provide feedback as to how I stand as a candidate.
You'll be fine with these stats.

Step 1 will hurt you a little since a lot of programs filter at 220, other than that I think your a solid candidate. Especially with CK improvement, USCE, YOG and a citizen. You may want to email some programs that state minimum 220 and express your interest and improvement.
I'm definitely going to try that, thanks bud.

Hi everyone,

Step 1: 24X
Step 2CK: 25X
Step 2CS: pass first attempt
YOG: 2014 (downside to my app, many programs filter for 3 years)
US IMG
4 US LORs

No IVs yet. It's still very early in the season so no need to worry guys! Most IVs are going to AMGs, and IVs at home institutions. Ours will come with time, most starting in October. Congrats on everyone for getting this far and sending in your applications! That is a huge success in it and of itself.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
Congratulations to all on completion of their steps , and great scores.
I see here many students have great scores and no red flags.
I am an opposite case , and i decided to share , hope that's ok .
IMG (need visa )
Step 1 211 (first and major red flag)
Step 2 CK 233
Step 2 Cs pass
All pass in first attempt.
YOG 2010 (2nd red flag) , Also med school from russia internship in india
USCE : 3months in IM , LOR 3(ECFMG still uploading them)
applied to 120 IM programm so far.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone,
Congratulations to all on completion of their steps , and great scores.
I see here many students have great scores and no red flags.
I am an opposite case , and i decided to share , hope that's ok .
IMG (need visa )
Step 1 211 (first and major red flag)
Step 2 CK 233
Step 2 Cs pass
All pass in first attempt.
YOG 2010 (2nd red flag) , Also med school from russia internship in india
USCE : 3months in IM , LOR 3(ECFMG still uploading them)
applied to 120 IM programm so far.

Hey, I feel the same every time I checked this forum haha. Most of the people participating here have extraordinary scores, a lot of USCE, publications and so on.
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of applicants with similar stats than yours but they avoid to write [I don't blame them]. Just look the NRMP official stats. I think you have a better chance where you did your rotations. I would suggest you to email the programs that have a specific score cut-off but are IMG friendly and try to express your interest and how you did much better in CK. 120 programs are fine if you avoided those with strict cut-off's and specific YOG. Some programs urge applicants to not apply if they don't fulfill all of their requirements and some others show more flexibility. Also you should use every contact that you made during your rotations and ask them to phone the program directors that they're in contact with. Whenever you obtain an interview is on you to shine when you get there.
Good luck.

Reactions: 4 users
Non-US IMG (Need Visa)
- Step 1: 245+
- Step 2: 242
- Step 2 CS: Pass
- Step 3: 235+
- All pass in 1st attempt.
- YOG: 2014 << I'm concerned
- 4 mo of USCE
- 3/4 US LoR
Applied to 202 programs

Dealing with my OCD checking email, but nothing from the programs.

Step 1 : 23x
Step 2 CK : 25x
Step 2 cs: pass (passed all steps first attempt)
YOG: 2016
Visa: Permanent resident
Pubs: 2 peer-reviewed; 1 poster at AHA
Experience: 4 USCE; 3 LORs from American attendings; Other exp includes being an assistant coach, student counselor, and other volunteer activities
Programs applied: 160
IVs so far: Nada. By far the most encouraging spectator for friends getting interviews :/

Also, I applied on Sept 16th because of some tech problem on ERAS's end and help desk was closed for the weekend! Does that matter at all? In my head I am thinking coordinators might set a filter which downloads applications submitted only on 15th Sept. I know that isn't really a hard deadline, but can you really stop the paranoia when you have worked so hard the past few years to get where you are today? Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
US-IMG
Step 1: 244+
Step 2: 244+
USCE: All US Rotations
Research: 5 months at a major academic center. 1 First Author Manuscript Submission. Another 2 manuscripts that'll be submitted in the next couple weeks, will update programs when they're submitted. 1 Poster Presentation.
EC: Med Mission Trip Abroad.
Feel Free to provide feedback as to how I stand as a candidate.

Your EC is outstanding and research as well. Congrats on matching to your top choice!!

Step 1 226
Step CK 233
CS passed
All 1st attempt
YOG 2015
USCE 3 months
3/4 US LoRs
103 programs
Pending Green Card
1 acknowledgement from program in Florida

Internal Medicine? Sorry, its just that some folks with FM interviews are also posting here. Good luck in any case!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I am a U.S IMG and I have a dilemma. I am struggling somewhat to condense my pre-selected number of programs (150 plus each) under Family & Internal Med speciaIties respectively. Due to the fact that this application process is expensive, I want to apply broadly but efficiently as well. I wanted to know what is/are the major factor(s) to consider to help finalize condense my program list. Any insight will be well appreciated. Thanks :)

N:B I narrowed my list already based on percent IMG, step scores (somewhat), eligibility criteria in the respective states across the U.S & participates in (2018/2019)ERAs and NRMP.

Hi, I am a U.S IMG and I have a dilemma. I am struggling somewhat to condense my pre-selected number of programs (150 plus each) under Family & Internal Med speciaIties respectively. Due to the fact that this application process is expensive, I want to apply broadly but efficiently as well. I wanted to know what is/are the major factor(s) to consider to help finalize condense my program list. Any insight will be well appreciated. Thanks :)

N:B I narrowed my list already based on percent IMG, step scores (somewhat), eligibility criteria in the respective states across the U.S & participates in (2018/2019)ERAs and NRMP.

Some hospitals share program coordinators between programs. So it may just happen that if you apply to FM and IM to that same program, your application to both programs may not be well received by the administrators. It seems this show lack of commitment to the specialty (which I honestly don’t understand given the similarities between both). I would avoid applying to the same hospital if this is the case. Depending on your scores, you may distribute between academic and community-based programs since competitiveness varies between those. Finally, do you have any geographic preferences? Or urban vs. rural? You won’t need a car necessarily in cities with adequate public transportation, so this would cut down prices. If you have a SO, make sure you apply somewhere where they can also find a job. These are just a few thoughts off the top of my head...

Some hospitals share program coordinators between programs. So it may just happen that if you apply to FM and IM to that same program, your application to both programs may not be well received by the administrators. It seems this show lack of commitment to the specialty (which I honestly don’t understand given the similarities between both). I would avoid applying to the same hospital if this is the case. Depending on your scores, you may distribute between academic and community-based programs since competitiveness varies between those. Finally, do you have any geographic preferences? Or urban vs. rural? You won’t need a car necessarily in cities with adequate public transportation, so this would cut down prices. If you have a SO, make sure you apply somewhere where they can also find a job. These are just a few thoughts off the top of my head...

Thank you :highfive: . I will consider everything you’ve shared and i will post my final decision soon!!!

Hello guys!!
My stats:
Step 1 265
Step 2 ck 259
Step 2 cs pass 1st attempt
YOG 2018
2 1st author clinical research pubs; 1 poster
Non US IMG - Need visa;
ECFMG certified
3 months of USCE- 3 US LORs
Applied to 150 programs

A slow first week so far - but this is expected for us, right?

An acknowledgment from Michigan

US IMG
Step 1: 213
Step 2: 226
Step 3: pass
ECFMG certified

Chances of matching into Internal Medicine?

Hey, I feel the same every time I checked this forum haha. Most of the people participating here have extraordinary scores, a lot of USCE, publications and so on.
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of applicants with similar stats than yours but they avoid to write [I don't blame them]. Just look the NRMP official stats. I think you have a better chance where you did your rotations. I would suggest you to email the programs that have a specific score cut-off but are IMG friendly and try to express your interest and how you did much better in CK. 120 programs are fine if you avoided those with strict cut-off's and specific YOG. Some programs urge applicants to not apply if they don't fulfill all of their requirements and some others show more flexibility. Also you should use every contact that you made during your rotations and ask them to phone the program directors that they're in contact with. Whenever you obtain an interview is on you to shine when you get there.
Good luck.

Dear Cardio , thanks for suggestions, i really appreciate. out of 120 with my step 1 and YOG i am eligible only for 72 program.
No SSN so no PTAL, so 72-12 = 60 programm. Rest 120- 60 = 60 all have YOG , so i am expecting nothing from them.
Out of 60 almost 30 are university., so only 30 i am hoping to even look at my application.:wtf:
On top my LOR are not processed.:rage:
My work experience of 4 years in India , no one cares @it.
@rotations i did , plenty students come there via paid observership companies , and they promise to all i will ask PD.(so i doubt @those connections)
@ applying few more programm, none left for step 1 score and YOFG cutoff.
The one left on their uni website all residents are either UMG or DO.
@ applying wide , i dont have any LOR or even PS for FM , so applying to 50 FM programm, due to lack of LOR will be waste of 1000$ , which I can use for extra IM program (which i am still researching)+pity+ or for Post Match.
so with this status , even if i get 1 interview i will smile like "miss world" when they receive crown.:soexcited:

Last edited:
US IMG
Step 1: 213
Step 2: 226
Step 3: pass
ECFMG certified

Chances of matching into Internal Medicine?

Hey Under:panda:
Greeting! first congratulations on completion of your steps. Believe me step 1 itself depressing, and after that score its more depressing and pressure of other exams. The fact that despite low step1 score you completed rest steps , means you have patience and hope. My teacher said this in Russia "Надежда умирает последней" means "hope dies last". So keep doing what you have been doing in this time.
@ chances of matching ,1) NRMP has calculator , you can add your scores and speciality of interest , and gives you % of match .
For example with my profile: scores + IM+ 8 work experience + 4 volunteer + 0 research + 0 publication = 52% for IM .
Based on step 1 NRMP graph distribution So for you as your step 1 score is in same range as mine 211-220 , in that range only 160 matched , and @ 250 or 300 did not match in IM who are Non US IMG .
2)I dont know many students but based on what i heard in past , when you apply @ 200 program you MAY have chance of getting 2 interviews.
3) Go on Baron Rocks website , and read success stories in MATCH section.
4) YOG : based on that , you may be able to apply many . For example many program have 5 yo less , very feww program have YOG 10 year or less. And many are in california and new york.
Hope this helps
So just be calm and be patient , you have done well so far. Good Luck :)

Good luck.

@ I would suggest you to email the programs that have a specific score cut-off but are IMG friendly and try to express your interest and how you did much better in CK. ??
Are we allowed to email PD or Program coordinator? Because you know out in this world of USMLE and MATCH, one thing i noticed people with great scores or poor scores , all have anxiety. Many have posted don't contact PD , orelse they will throw away your applications , and blah blah .
And its so easy for mind in that anxious situation to fall for those plenty gossips on forums . And for me this is 1st time i am applying.
So i have no clue , due to lack of experience and information , that can we email them or send letter? shall just wait until mid october , and then email or send written letter?
Kindly help me with your suggestions .

3rd acknowledgement also from MI

i asked this before and nobody responded but i really need help! IMG whos ecfmg eligible but i graduate in jan 2019 so i dont have certificate yet. should i email programs and let them know if i dont get invites by end of oct?

No they already know this information. You will look needy if you do this and might annoy programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.