You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2019
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
YoG? USCE? visa status? all first time pass? Lors? how many programs? applied broadly? research?US IMG
Step 1: 213
Step 2: 226
Step 3: pass
ECFMG certified
Chances of matching into Internal Medicine?
depending how you answer those it will give you a better idea.
Scores alone you have a chance
Last edited:
US IMG
Step 1: 213
Step 2: 226
Step 3: pass
ECFMG certified
Chances of matching into Internal Medicine?
I would say you have to apply very broadly. At least 200+ programs. Not going to sugar coat this but you will be filtered out by many due to the below average Step 1 score. Do what you can to apply to as many programs as possible.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Heard UT Austin Dell and UTMB Galveston is starting to give out rejections so if you don't get an email from them today that's a good sign.
Got a rejection from Austin Dell- im a NON-US IMG and they said they do not sponsor visas.
Catwoman86
Full Member
Got rejection from The University of Texas at Austin - Dell Medical School, Internal Medicine Residency Program.
I regret that we are not able to offer you the opportunity to interview with our program. We received a very large number of applications this year making it necessary to make some difficult choices among highly qualified applicants.
So now this out even for Post Match .
I regret that we are not able to offer you the opportunity to interview with our program. We received a very large number of applications this year making it necessary to make some difficult choices among highly qualified applicants.
So now this out even for Post Match .
Got a rejection from Austin Dell- im a NON-US IMG and they said they do not sponsor visas.
Non us img here. Got a rejection from them too. How did you find out about the visa? Did they specify it in the email because mine was a generic "sorry we are not able to ..." response?
IMG1990IM-CARDIO
Full Member
I don't understand that really. ECFMG can sponsor a J1 Visa for us. But either way I would not insist with a program that it's not aware about that. Probably they just don't want to admit IMG's.Got a rejection from Austin Dell- im a NON-US IMG and they said they do not sponsor visas.
Got my first invitation today from Easton Hospital, PA! It’s a prematch program, btw.
Are you a non US-IMG?Got rejection from The University of Texas at Austin - Dell Medical School, Internal Medicine Residency Program.
I regret that we are not able to offer you the opportunity to interview with our program. We received a very large number of applications this year making it necessary to make some difficult choices among highly qualified applicants.
So now this out even for Post Match .
WO
WOW congrats!!! That's super early. Your the first in our thread!Got my first invitation today from Easton Hospital, PA! It’s a prematch program, btw.
Congrats CerebralCat!!Got my first invitation today from Easton Hospital, PA! It’s a prematch program, btw.
May I ask what time you got the email?Got my first invitation today from Easton Hospital, PA! It’s a prematch program, btw.
May I ask what time you got the email?
10 am EST
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Catwoman86
Full Member
For UT Dell,
Frieda , yes j1 and 210 step 1 and 210 in CK interview consideration , Avg step 1 of students is 226-236.
Also their YOG 3 years or less, 43% USMG , 14% DO and 42% IMG
,For 29 positions conducted 225 interviews .
Match a resident says : No minimum step 1 requirement and yes j1 , IMG friendliness medium .
so i think its not visa main reason . (Criteria updated by them 16th august )
My step 1 score 211 and YOG 2010.
So i think no 1 is score and no 2 is YOG
So guys who has gets Ut dell interview or even acknowledgement please post and their Step1 and YOG , visa status .
This will help if next year again i have to apply to save my 26$😀
Frieda , yes j1 and 210 step 1 and 210 in CK interview consideration , Avg step 1 of students is 226-236.
Also their YOG 3 years or less, 43% USMG , 14% DO and 42% IMG
,For 29 positions conducted 225 interviews .
Match a resident says : No minimum step 1 requirement and yes j1 , IMG friendliness medium .
so i think its not visa main reason . (Criteria updated by them 16th august )
My step 1 score 211 and YOG 2010.
So i think no 1 is score and no 2 is YOG
So guys who has gets Ut dell interview or even acknowledgement please post and their Step1 and YOG , visa status .
This will help if next year again i have to apply to save my 26$😀
Catwoman86
Full Member
Me too 10 am10 am EST
Catwoman86
Full Member
Yes i am NON US , IMG .Are you a non US-IMG?
For UT Dell,
Frieda , yes j1 and 210 step 1 and 210 in CK interview consideration , Avg step 1 of students is 226-236.
Also their YOG 3 years or less, 43% USMG , 14% DO and 42% IMG
,For 29 positions conducted 225 interviews .
Match a resident says : No minimum step 1 requirement and yes j1 , IMG friendliness medium .
so i think its not visa main reason . (Criteria updated by them 16th august )
My step 1 score 211 and YOG 2010.
So i think no 1 is score and no 2 is YOG
So guys who has gets Ut dell interview or even acknowledgement please post and their Step1 and YOG , visa status .
This will help if next year again i have to apply to save my 26$😀
You have to take freida and match a resident with a grain of salt. The best place for the right info is on the program's website. I applied using match a resident. I should have looked closer at their website because there is no mention of visa sponsorship
PrayForMatch2019
New Member
same here. I did not realized that when I applied.Got a rejection from Austin Dell- im a NON-US IMG and they said they do not sponsor visas.
I really like UT Austin Dell, you guys are making me nervous.
From what you guys are saying they are filtering first by Visa status so I will pass that test. Next question will be exam scores I guess?
I will keep y'all updated
I remember last year most of my gf's IV and mine came out on Friday 🙂 So hopefully tomorrow brings good news!
From what you guys are saying they are filtering first by Visa status so I will pass that test. Next question will be exam scores I guess?
I will keep y'all updated
I remember last year most of my gf's IV and mine came out on Friday 🙂 So hopefully tomorrow brings good news!
Yup same boat as you. Also US-IMG.I really like UT Austin Dell, you guys are making me nervous.
From what you guys are saying they are filtering first by Visa status so I will pass that test. Next question will be exam scores I guess?
I will keep y'all updated
I remember last year most of my gf's IV and mine came out on Friday 🙂 So hopefully tomorrow brings good news!
Catwoman86
Full Member
I did check their website , i think on Frieda what IMG means is US IMG and also in their email they said , " very large number of applications this year making it necessary to make some difficult choices among highly qualified applicants." i guess first may be USMG then US IMG .You have to take freida and match a resident with a grain of salt. The best place for the right info is on the program's website. I applied using match a resident. I should have looked closer at their website because there is no mention of visa sponsorship
Yes, Internal MedicineInternal Medicine? Sorry, its just that some folks with FM interviews are also posting here. Good luck in any case!
Wow congrats!! This is so early for us IMGs. Can you tell us where by any chance? Thanks and congratsFirst IV invitation in NY! The IV season has officially started for me. Wishing success for all of us!
Has anyone applied to Cali? Do you have PTAL? any programs in cali recommended?
Catwoman86
Full Member
Congratulations ,First IV invitation in NY! The IV season has officially started for me. Wishing success for all of us!
I have a question : Did you receive any acknowledgement before IV ? or they just sent IV invitation ?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
which program? you can share the name like all previous seasons before us. It doesnt hurt you.First IV invitation in NY! The IV season has officially started for me. Wishing success for all of us!
Has anyone applied to Cali? Do you have PTAL? any programs in cali recommended?
I did. No PTAL. What do you mean by recommended? Easy for IMGs?
I did. No PTAL. What do you mean by recommended? Easy for IMGs?
Is it possible to get into a california residency without the ptal? I thought it was required for all. Correct me if im wrong. Id love to go into a CA program lol
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wow congrats... did you receive any acknowledgements before the invite?First IV invitation in NY! The IV season has officially started for me. Wishing success for all of us!
Just received my 4th LOR. Should I go ahead an apply it to all programs or just leave it alone. Does anyone know which programs require 4?
Me too! I have the same issue, I think I will upload it but I know for sure that the programs won’t know about the 4th letter if you don’t send email.
Is it possible to get into a california residency without the ptal? I thought it was required for all. Correct me if im wrong. Id love to go into a CA program lol
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They won't rank you unless you have PTAL in by rank deadline. So if you don't have your PTAL or don't see yourself getting it within the next month, I would save money. It also takes months to get the PTAL.
Me too! I have the same issue, I think I will upload it but I know for sure that the programs won’t know about the 4th letter if you don’t send email.
I really don't know if it's a good idea to upload the 4th LOR to programs that say 3 LORs. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
They won't rank you unless you have PTAL in by rank deadline. So if you don't have your PTAL or don't see yourself getting it within the next month, I would save money. It also takes months to get the PTAL.
Ohhh i misunderstood. I thought you werent gonna use PTAL at all. Ive tried going through the application process and unfortunately i did not meet their reqs in terms of rotations. And yes it did take months to get responses from them.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have the receipt uploaded? if you go to cali the livescan fingerprints clear in 2-5 days. Otherwise its 3-6 weeks.I did. No PTAL. What do you mean by recommended? Easy for IMGs?
Yeah I meant IMG friendly, I only found about 15 programs.
Most places require PTAL before they give interviews at a minimum you must upload the receipt. You have to have a PTAL, no way around it. Must be a US citizen or perm resident.They won't rank you unless you have PTAL in by rank deadline. So if you don't have your PTAL or don't see yourself getting it within the next month, I would save money. It also takes months to get the PTAL.
It does not take months if you are organized. I had all my paperwork submitted within a week and flew to Cali for fingerprints, letter was ready in 2 weeks.
They say months because getting all the required paperwork in, along with clearances usually takes a while.
I was told it wont hurt you, programs will just drop 1 letter. Most programs say at least 3 letters or 3 letters. Very rarely do they say no more than 3. I added 4 everywhere. Also I wouldnt bother adding 4 unless all 4 are strong. Leave weakest and oldest one out. If they are all strong put all 4.I really don't know if it's a good idea to upload the 4th LOR to programs that say 3 LORs. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I was told it wont hurt you, programs will just drop 1 letter. Most programs say at least 3 letters or 3 letters. Very rarely do they say no more than 3. I added 4 everywhere. Also I wouldnt bother adding 4 unless all 4 are strong. Leave weakest and oldest one out. If they are all strong put all 4.
For IM: San Joaquin, Kern County, UCSF Fresno are the most IMG friendly- however these all want strong ties to the area. People from central CA love if you are from central CA. There are a lot of IMGs from this area who went to Caribb schools.
Step 1: 200s
Step 2 CK: 230s
Step 2 CS: Pass
Step 3: Pass
YoG: 2014
Status: FMG with no gaps, training in UK.
USCE: 6 months
Research: lots
LORs: 4 A+ 1x APD, 1x fellowship director, 2x faculty
Programs Applied to: 50 IM
Rejected from UT Austin. I love Austin 🙁 they don't love me.
Good luck everyone!
All FMG's today got an automatic rejection from Austin and probably will from most Texas programs.
Wow congrats!! This is so early for us IMGs. Can you tell us where by any chance? Thanks and congrats
Thanks! Yes I agree it is early, so I'm thankful for that. It was a program in the Bronx. And to answer someone else's question. No I did not get any acknowledgment. They mean nothing, don't overthink it.
Quick question guys, do the programs offer IV's to those without NRMP ID's? Or does everyone have an NRMP ID yet? I was hoping to get mine sometime in october. Hope that doesn't matter?
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Catwoman86
Full Member
Guys i have a small issue here, i uploaded my LOR and ECFMG still processing .
I started applying to Program on 15th . today i received my 1st LOR in LORp , i assigned to all programs i applied to , 2 LOR may come tomorrow . Do i have to send email to all program now saying my LOR available ? can PD see in our profile ECFMG processing your LOR?
I started applying to Program on 15th . today i received my 1st LOR in LORp , i assigned to all programs i applied to , 2 LOR may come tomorrow . Do i have to send email to all program now saying my LOR available ? can PD see in our profile ECFMG processing your LOR?
They will see it once you assign it. No need to send email.Guys i have a small issue here, i uploaded my LOR and ECFMG still processing .
I started applying to Program on 15th . today i received my 1st LOR in LORp , i assigned to all programs i applied to , 2 LOR may come tomorrow . Do i have to send email to all program now saying my LOR available ? can PD see in our profile ECFMG processing your LOR?
Quick question guys, do the programs offer IV's to those with NRMP ID's? Or does everyone have an NRMP ID yet? I was hoping to get mine sometime in october. Hope that doesn't matter?
Why don't you have your NRMP ID?
Catwoman86
Full Member
ThanksThey will see it once you assign it. No need to send email.
I can't afford it now. Does it make a difference? And how much does it cost?Why don't you have your NRMP ID?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K