You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
IMGs Applying to Internal Medicine. 2018
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Haha how did you even remember there were six! Honestly i wouldn’t have been able to name more than 3 unless that was the last thing I read before the interview. Such a random question. Damn, dint know I gotta go through first aid before each interview .The aphasia question was to prove a point about a hypothetical scenario question involving speech pathologist (he actually looked surprised I knew there were 6).
But congrats man! Looks like you did well.
Any other medical questions apart from these?
Is it acceptable for us to write how many open spots are showing at places we have IVs at? Can help give us an idea of how programs are filling up. for example my gf just checked interview broker and a lot of her programs have 4-20 spots left
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it acceptable for us to write how many open spots are showing at places we have IVs at? Can help give us an idea of how programs are filling up. for example my gf just checked interview broker and a lot of her programs have 4-20 spots left
Yea that is definitely very helpful to know!
To be honest, I would be
To be honest I would be impressed too lol...I didn't remember there were 6. You got this Dr. Keep us posted.
Thanks, I will!
Haha how did you even remember there were six! Honestly i wouldn’t have been able to name more than 3 unless that was the last thing I read before the interview. Such a random question. Damn, dint know I gotta go through first aid before each interview .
But congrats man! Looks like you did well.
Any other medical questions apart from these?
I read first aid 3 times before my exam last year so I vaguely remembered the table lol. Only 1 was straight up a medical question, which is the stable vs unstable angina. The aphasia one was when he wanted to follow my thought process in a scenario involving what the family wants for a pt that can’t make his own decisions, if I would listen to a consult that didn’t have an MD attached to it and it just sort of came up if I knew the types of aphasia.
Don’t worry about it, focus more on showing the program who you are personality wise, they just want a good fit. Oh always be honest.
Rejections: South Dakota, Macneal IL, Austin Dell Texas
4th IV: Greater Baltimore
4th IV: Greater Baltimore
Is it acceptable for us to write how many open spots are showing at places we have IVs at? Can help give us an idea of how programs are filling up. for example my gf just checked interview broker and a lot of her programs have 4-20 spots left
It would be awesome of you if you did that!
where did you do your rotations?
any publications?
Sorry for the late reply.
I did 2 observerships (total of 2 months) in a private hospital in the southeast (non-teaching) and 2 observerships at Sparrow/ MSU. I don't have that much USCE.
I only have some poster presentations from my country. No major pubs.
Would you be able to tell us which programs these are?Is it acceptable for us to write how many open spots are showing at places we have IVs at? Can help give us an idea of how programs are filling up. for example my gf just checked interview broker and a lot of her programs have 4-20 spots left
And what did you answer to the consult question? Would you listen to someone who isn’t MD, wait a min, where they referring to DO’s?Thanks, I will!
I read first aid 3 times before my exam last year so I vaguely remembered the table lol. Only 1 was straight up a medical question, which is the stable vs unstable angina. The aphasia one was when he wanted to follow my thought process in a scenario involving what the family wants for a pt that can’t make his own decisions, if I would listen to a consult that didn’t have an MD attached to it and it just sort of came up if I knew the types of aphasia.
Don’t worry about it, focus more on showing the program who you are personality wise, they just want a good fit. Oh always be honest.
Rejection: medstar Washington at Baltimore. Not sure about wave of interviews, but been experiencing a wave of rejections lately!
Got rejected by berkshire too.
rejections-university of wisconsin, Dartmouth (I think this was an accident), berkshire
UABM-6 spots open
St. Vincent 6 spots open
will get info on another 10-15 programs soon
UABM-6 spots open
St. Vincent 6 spots open
will get info on another 10-15 programs soon
Keep up the good work!!!rejections-university of wisconsin, Dartmouth (I think this was an accident), berkshire
UABM-6 spots open
St. Vincent 6 spots open
will get info on another 10-15 programs soon
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejection medstar union memorial
is anyone else going to post open spots? If its just me then I wont bother.Keep up the good work!!!
3 out of her 18 Invites are either waitlist or full IV slots. 15 have multiple spots with 10 of then having 10+ so I think everyone should be actively sending out emails showing interest because there seems to be a lot of IVs out there still!
Good luck everyone!!!
I have just got saint vincent but you already said it lol, I saw one opening on 26 and they probably didn't have time to fill it..is anyone else going to post open spots? If its just me then I wont bother.
3 out of her 18 Invites are either waitlist or full IV slots. 15 have multiple spots with 10 of then having 10+ so I think everyone should be actively sending out emails showing interest because there seems to be a lot of IVs out there still!
Good luck everyone!!!
Advocate Illionismasonic- 4I have just got saint vincent but you already said it lol, I saw one opening on 26 and they probably didn't have time to fill it..
University of reno-2
SUNY downstate-25
UPMC Mercy-lots
UCONN-2 dates for waitlist only
Medstar georgetown-lots of dates
Rochester General-lots of dates
DMC sinaigrace-7
UAB-6
St. vincent-3 (had a spot unfilled today 🙁
lots more to come! I believe there are lots of spots still open!! email email email
non US- IMG
Step 1 258
step 2 256
passed CS from first attempt
Applied to 60 programs only
4 Iv so far
7 rejections
Step 1 258
step 2 256
passed CS from first attempt
Applied to 60 programs only
4 Iv so far
7 rejections
this weekend Im sending out 300 emails, should get tons of rejections next weekI sent 3 emails, received 2 rejections. Rush Chicago and Weiss(?)
Up to 9 interview invites:
-New Jersey = NYMC at St. Joseph's, Atlanticare Regional, Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Raritan Bay Medical Center
-Pennsylvania = Mercy Catholic Medical Center
-Maryland = Sinai Baltimore, St. Agnes, UMD: Prince George's
-Virginia = Lewisgale Medical Center
Also have 9 rejections: Medstar Union Memorial, Cone Health, UNC, Wright State, Hopkins Bayview, Yale- New Haven, St. Luke's, Hershey Medical, and Albert Einstein
-New Jersey = NYMC at St. Joseph's, Atlanticare Regional, Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Raritan Bay Medical Center
-Pennsylvania = Mercy Catholic Medical Center
-Maryland = Sinai Baltimore, St. Agnes, UMD: Prince George's
-Virginia = Lewisgale Medical Center
Also have 9 rejections: Medstar Union Memorial, Cone Health, UNC, Wright State, Hopkins Bayview, Yale- New Haven, St. Luke's, Hershey Medical, and Albert Einstein
did my clerkships at St Joe's...great place for pathology and the aPD there is great!!Up to 9 interview invites:
-New Jersey = NYMC at St. Joseph's, Atlanticare Regional, Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Raritan Bay Medical Center
-Pennsylvania = Mercy Catholic Medical Center
-Maryland = Sinai Baltimore, St. Agnes, UMD: Prince George's
-Virginia = Lewisgale Medical Center
Also have 9 rejections: Medstar Union Memorial, Cone Health, UNC, Wright State, Hopkins Bayview, Yale- New Haven, St. Luke's, Hershey Medical, and Albert Einstein
They were my first interview last week. They really impressed me. I'm from the area, but I had never been to that hospital before. All the residents seemed really nice, and I speak Spanish so I know there that will definitely be useful.did my clerkships at St Joe's...great place for pathology and the aPD there is great!!
just got 4th interview at DMC Sinai grace!! emails work!
Advocate Illionismasonic- 4
University of reno-2
SUNY downstate-25
UPMC Mercy-lots
UCONN-2 dates for waitlist only
Medstar georgetown-lots of dates
Rochester General-lots of dates
DMC sinaigrace-7
UAB-6
St. vincent-3 (had a spot unfilled today 🙁
lots more to come! I believe there are lots of spots still open!! email email email
@Major procrastinator -- did you get an IV at SUNY Downstate? I'm jelly, that's my dream program.
EDIT: just read that it was your gf. I'm jelly for her.
You need better dreams.@Major procrastinator -- did you get an IV at SUNY Downstate? I'm jelly, that's my dream program.
I'm Hispanic too...where u from if you don't mind.?They were my first interview last week. They really impressed me. I'm from the area, but I had never been to that hospital before. All the residents seemed really nice, and I speak Spanish so I know there that will definitely be useful.
I was born in the USA but my parents are from Cuba. =)I'm Hispanic too...where u from if you don't mind.?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
did you send them a Letter of interest?just got 4th interview at DMC Sinai grace!! emails work!
Yup sent an interest asking if they would review my app, showed interest in the program and the city. Got an IV hours laterdid you send them a Letter of interest?
@Major procrastinator -- did you get an IV at SUNY Downstate? I'm jelly, that's my dream program.
EDIT: just read that it was your gf. I'm jelly for her.
They have a lot of IV spots, I would email them showing interest asap.
P.S. Ignore the haters, I applied on oct 13th as an IMG with no CK score. They said I would get no IVs. I have 4 in 2 weeks...
I don't know what you're talking about but SUNY Downstate is a solid program for US IMGs! Great faculty/fellowship placement/location/population diversity, etc.You need better dreams.
they have put a lot of money into the place since i was a student, but that CC tower is amazing!They were my first interview last week. They really impressed me. I'm from the area, but I had never been to that hospital before. All the residents seemed really nice, and I speak Spanish so I know there that will definitely be useful.
learn arabic and bengali and you would be a shoo in! 🙂
Nice, I am Cuban too. Just came to the states 3 years ago. Good luck in the match paisano.I was born in the USA but my parents are from Cuba. =)
dude, no one said you wouldn't get ANY IVs, but definitely hobbled yourself with no CK...you applied to over 300 spots and have 4 interviews....that ~ 1% return at the moment...They have a lot of IV spots, I would email them showing interest asap.
P.S. Ignore the haters, I applied on oct 13th as an IMG with no CK score. They said I would get no IVs. I have 4 in 2 weeks...
but the more important point was to those applying...as an I/FMG you are already behind the 8 ball...to not do EVERYTHING in your power to make yourself the best candidate possible is just not a wise move.
imagine IF you did have your CK in time...
I don't know what you're talking about but SUNY Downstate is a solid program for US IMGs! Great faculty/fellowship placement/location/population diversity, etc.
eh...do you actually know people who were residents at Downstate? I do.
I was a student there. The aPD, Dept Chair and Dean all told me to not even apply.I don't know what you're talking about but SUNY Downstate is a solid program for US IMGs! Great faculty/fellowship placement/location/population diversity, etc.
I won't argue that you will become the most bomb-ass developing world internist ever minted in the US by training there though.
Honestly, it was a great place to be a student (nearly unlimited autonomy), but I watched the residents and fellows suffer mightily. It's been a few years...perhaps it's a whole new world. But I somehow doubt it.
I agree with you. I know I kicked myself in the ass by not having ck and missing out on a lot more IVs and better programs but life happens. I dont like to sit in the past, so i just have to make the best of my situation.dude, no one said you wouldn't get ANY IVs, but definitely hobbled yourself with no CK...you applied to over 300 spots and have 4 interviews....that ~ 1% return at the moment...
but the more important point was to those applying...as an I/FMG you are already behind the 8 ball...to not do EVERYTHING in your power to make yourself the best candidate possible is just not a wise move.
imagine IF you did have your CK in time...
The "Resident's Suffering" is pretty widespread, id not just in US, every country is the same, I am afraid is just the way it is. Resident are at the bottom of the totem pole so I don't think we should judge a program just because of that. That said, I know some places are worst than others though.I was a student there. The aPD, Dept Chair and Dean all told me to not even apply.
I won't argue that you will become the most bomb-ass developing world internist ever minted in the US by training there though.
Honestly, it was a great place to be a student (nearly unlimited autonomy), but I watched the residents and fellows suffer mightily. It's been a few years...perhaps it's a whole new world. But I somehow doubt it.
Yeah...I was sleep deprived, and was taken to task by at least one attending during my residence. But I didn't suffer in any way.The "Resident's Suffering" is pretty widespread, id not just in US, every country is the same, I am afraid is just the way it is. Resident are at the bottom of the totem pole so I don't think we should judge a program just because of that. That said, I know some places are worst than others though.
I was a student there. The aPD, Dept Chair and Dean all told me to not even apply.
I won't argue that you will become the most bomb-ass developing world internist ever minted in the US by training there though.
Honestly, it was a great place to be a student (nearly unlimited autonomy), but I watched the residents and fellows suffer mightily. It's been a few years...perhaps it's a whole new world. But I somehow doubt it.
Thanks for this -- this makes me feel a lot better about not getting an IV lol.
I just interviewed at a small community program a couple days ago and I unexpectedly loved it. A very small hospital with only ~200 beds but amazing fellowship placement and mentorship, residents were happy, can rotate at some amazing hospitals for electives, etc. I didn't anticipate this but I feel like I might pick this program over other university hospitals / hospitals with more beds / more patient workload etc. Does or did anyone else feel like this?
Thanks for this -- this makes me feel a lot better about not getting an IV lol.
I just interviewed at a small community program a couple days ago and I unexpectedly loved it. A very small hospital with only ~200 beds but amazing fellowship placement and mentorship, residents were happy, can rotate at some amazing hospitals for electives, etc. I didn't anticipate this but I feel like I might pick this program over other university hospitals / hospitals with more beds / more patient workload etc. Does or did anyone else feel like this?
Follow your gut. Whatever makes you happy.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depends on the community program. And the fellowship.Going to a community program does it really put you in a disadvantageous position for Fellowship? thoughts?
I can give you an IMGs (visa requiring) perspective who is applying for fellowship this yearGoing to a community program does it really put you in a disadvantageous position for Fellowship? thoughts?
Yes it does matter which program you come from (unless you are the type who did 2 years of research before residency)
That to say not all community program are same . I know few excellent community programs ( einstien philly, Washington hospital center , allegheny general ) whose residents do excellent in fellowship matches
It also depends on what you want . GI is tough work even for Lower tier university applicants . Cards/Pulm Crit/ haem onc/rheum are doable from a community hospital but you will have to shoot for community / lower tier university programs and need to have decent research . Endo is easier to get into with majority applicant IMG . Nephro/ID you don't need to even apply as the positions go unfilled
IMG world is different from AMG world . Most places that take IMG are the one who don't get any AMG . So a program which would be a bottom of the pile for you might be the top of the pile for IMGI was a student there. The aPD, Dept Chair and Dean all told me to not even apply.
I won't argue that you will become the most bomb-ass developing world internist ever minted in the US by training there though.
Honestly, it was a great place to be a student (nearly unlimited autonomy), but I watched the residents and fellows suffer mightily. It's been a few years...perhaps it's a whole new world. But I somehow doubt it.
As far as IV are concerned , I got interviews up till mid January.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K