IMGs Applying to Internal Medicine. 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys! I know there is a thread for ROL discussion but I don't think is gonna be useful to us since most are well known AMG pprograms. If you agree we can keep using this one to share some ideas regarding this topic.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
What do you guys think about Jacobi vs Texas Tech El Paso? The 1st might be better known but my final goal is GI and their GI match is awful. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, Does anyone have general info about Letter of interest? Like when are they supposed to be sent and should we tell every program that they are our 1st choice or what should we say to the ones other than our top choice(s)????

Guys, Does anyone have general info about Letter of interest? Like when are they supposed to be sent and should we tell every program that they are our 1st choice or what should we say to the ones other than our top choice(s)????
This is the answe I got when I asked someome who works for a PD.

As for the letter of intent, not a good idea. I'm so glad you asked before sending anything. As Dr.......stated during your interview day, the ABIM has ruled that post interview communications are not allowed.
I'm not sure who or why someone started recommending letters of intent,
but I hope other applicants are checking before sending them.

Program dependent. Some programs will tell you not to, some will encourage you to let them know. It’s really up to you, I’ve sent a couple and received responses.

don't lie...
and post interview communication is discouraged by most programs

there is a thread about how a person had their letter sent back to them stamped "refused". Probably not a good idea.

Thank you card returned

Reactions: 1 user
It looks like the thread is dead...
I want to thank all of you guys for participating and GOOD LUCK NEXT MONTH! Please share if you matched so next year people can have some about their chances. It has been a long a difficult path so far...we deserve the best.

Hey guys, I need help ranking these programs. I'll really appreciate any input. All these are for internal medicine. Thanks.

Maimonides medical center, NY
Atlantic health (Overlook), NJ
Saint peters university hospital, NJ
Kendall medical center, Florida
Michigan state university
University of buffalo-sisters of charity, NY
St. Agnes medical center, Maryland
St. Vincent charity hospital, cleveland
Mercy catholic medical center, Pennsylvania
McLaren Flint medical center, Michigan
SUNY downstate, NY
Howard University, D.C
UPMC pinnacle, Pennylvania
Bassett Medical center, NY
University of north dakota, North dakota

Thanks for all the help...

Hey guys, I need help ranking these programs. I'll really appreciate any input. All these are for internal medicine. Thanks.

Maimonides medical center, NY
Atlantic health (Overlook), NJ
Saint peters university hospital, NJ
Kendall medical center, Florida
Michigan state university
University of buffalo-sisters of charity, NY
St. Agnes medical center, Maryland
St. Vincent charity hospital, cleveland
Mercy catholic medical center, Pennsylvania
McLaren Flint medical center, Michigan
SUNY downstate, NY
Howard University, D.C
UPMC pinnacle, Pennylvania
Bassett Medical center, NY
University of north dakota, North dakota

Thanks for all the help...

are these in the order on your ROL? Why do you have uni programs so low on your list?

are these in the order on your ROL? Why do you have uni programs so low on your list?
It completely random order. Have you made your ROL? I am going to go over the programs today and will try to arrange them in an order that makes sense. Lets see how it goes. BTW do you have any input on any of these programs, like any which might be malignant etc....
Thanks.

It completely random order. Have you made your ROL? I am going to go over the programs today and will try to arrange them in an order that makes sense. Lets see how it goes. BTW do you have any input on any of these programs, like any which might be malignant etc....
Thanks.
helps people to be able to give you advice if they are in an order of preference.
i made my ROL in 2008, so probably not much help and the only one i had in common with you was Downstate.

depends on what you want...Downstate with work you, but they have every fellowship and your best bet is usually in house. And you will be well trained.

Maimo has practically every fellowship and from friends that rotated/did residency there, they saw wide variety of pathology and good training.

Members don't see this ad :)
helps people to be able to give you advice if they are in an order of preference.
i made my ROL in 2008, so probably not much help and the only one i had in common with you was Downstate.

depends on what you want...Downstate with work you, but they have every fellowship and your best bet is usually in house. And you will be well trained.

Maimo has practically every fellowship and from friends that rotated/did residency there, they saw wide variety of pathology and good training.

Yea, Mamonides is my 1st. And Bassets is my last. I am interested in Heme onc or Pulm crit fellowship

Also can you tell me whichever is better from fellowship point of view - Howard Univ or Michigan state univ???

Thanks

Hey all. Please advise on what your thoughts are regarding my rank list.

Danbury hospital, CT
Marshall university, WV
Good Samaritan hospital, OH
Hackensack Montclair NJ
CAMC, WV
White river health, Arkansas

Hey Guys,
Can you help me in preparing my ROL?
I want to pursue cardiology after IM. So I want an IM program with good reputation, training and research to join a strong cardiology fellowship either away or in house. Also I want a friendly work environment (non malignant program).
From these aspects, what’s your recommendation regarding the ROL (specially 1st choices)?
The list
1- UMass Worcester, MA
2- University of Arizona College of Medicine Phoenix, AZ
3- University of Missouri Kansas City, MO
4- UConn Hartford, CT
5- Creighton University, Omaha NE
6- Lahey Hospital, Burlington, MA
7- St John Providence Detroit, MI
8- Texas Tech Lubbock
9- East Carolina University Greenville, NC
10- SUNY Downstate Brooklyn, NY
11- University of South Dakota
12- Western Michigan Kalamazoo, MI
13- Rochester Regional (Unity Hospital), NY
14- Staten Island University Hospital (Hofstra) NY
Thanks for your time and I appreciate any advice or modification

Hey Guys,
Can you help me in preparing my ROL?
I want to pursue cardiology after IM. So I want an IM program with good reputation, training and research to join a strong cardiology fellowship either away or in house. Also I want a friendly work environment (non malignant program).
From these aspects, what’s your recommendation regarding the ROL (specially 1st choices)?
The list
1- UMass Worcester, MA
2- University of Arizona College of Medicine Phoenix, AZ
3- University of Missouri Kansas City, MO
4- UConn Hartford, CT
5- Creighton University, Omaha NE
6- Lahey Hospital, Burlington, MA
7- St John Providence Detroit, MI
8- Texas Tech Lubbock
9- East Carolina University Greenville, NC
10- SUNY Downstate Brooklyn, NY
11- University of South Dakota
12- Western Michigan Kalamazoo, MI
13- Rochester Regional (Unity Hospital), NY
14- Staten Island University Hospital (Hofstra) NY
Thanks for your time and I appreciate any advice or modification

I would probably bump Downstate up a few notches. It's probably a better program than Creighton, Lahey, and St John Providence, but that's up to you.

I would probably rank them: UMass, Arizona, Missouri, UConn, Downstate, Creighton, Texas Tech, ECU the rest

I would probably bump Downstate up a few notches. It's probably a better program than Creighton, Lahey, and St John Providence, but that's up to you.

I would probably rank them: UMass, Arizona, Missouri, UConn, Downstate, Creighton, Texas Tech, ECU the rest

Thanks a lot, Do you agree with the order of the 1st 4 (UMass, Arizona-Phoenix, Missouri-Kansas City, UConn)?

hi.
could some one help with ranking
1. University of Illinois Chicago at Peoria
2. Unity hospital Rochester
3. washington medical center, DC
4. NYC metropolitan
I am an IMG. interested in GI/Pul fellowship. would like H1 visa rather than J1.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Thanks a lot, Do you agree with the order of the 1st 4 (UMass, Arizona-Phoenix, Missouri-Kansas City, UConn)?
There's no 1 program that stands out from those 4. They are all low to mid tier university programs that will provide basically the same opportunities going forward. Maybe UMass and UConn will give you more opportunity just being in the northeast and there seems to be some regionality to fellowship matches, or maybe not.

I would just rank them in the order that you liked them/where you want to live and call it a day.

hi.
4. NYC metropolitan
I am an IMG. interested in GI/Pul fellowship. would like H1 visa rather than J1.
Thanks

Washington Hospital Center? If so, it's the best program on this list.

hi.
4. NYC metropolitan
Thanks
These are all either university-affiliated community or just community (unity) programs. I would rank the university affiliated programs higher, and prioritize the ones that have in-house fellowships in what you are interested in. Otherwise, none of these programs are significantly different than the others.

There's no 1 program that stands out from those 4. They are all low to mid tier university programs that will provide basically the same opportunities going forward. Maybe UMass and UConn will give you more opportunity just being in the northeast and there seems to be some regionality to fellowship matches, or maybe not.

I would just rank them in the order that you liked them/where you want to live and call it a day.
Okay, thanks a lot

Hey guys, Please help me choose between these two:

Mnt sinai - Miami
UPMC Pinnacle - PA

Thanks

Well, it's all out of our hands now. Good luck to everyone!!!!

With 230’s on step 1, what did u guys do to increas your chances for IV’s?
Try to improve 2ck and take step3, Migratory Status helps too. 230 is not gonna get you filtered out though. They're gonna see your application, you just have to make it more desirable.

Hi, I am an international medical graduate from India , passed my medical school in the year 2013, did my MD in radiation oncology from India in 2016. I have passed the usmle step 1 with score of 231, step 2 Ck 242 and step 2 cs all in first attempt. I am currently doing observerhips in Chicago, I have completed observerships in cardiology, nephrology from elmhurst memorial hospital , illinois 8 weeks, have a 4 week radiation oncology observership at RUSH university medical centre. , 4 week observership in neuro oncology from RUSH university, chicago . I have 3 letters of recommendations from RUSH university. I am interested in shifting to medical oncology for which i want to do internal medicine. I also have 12 publications and a research thesis from india. What are my chances ? I am planning to apply for 2019 match year. I am also planning to take the step 3 before the applications.
Your stats are very similar to mine, do you need visa? With those scores you can get a decent number of iv if you apply broadly and don't need visa. It is sad but it's the truth, visa is becoming the Gold standard for IMGs with average scores. Connexions are a plus too.

What do you mean by applying broadly? thank you for the suggestion

thanks guys really appreciate it, yes will do that.

I Matched!!! I hope you guys did well too!

Reactions: 12 users
y'all were so free with posting where you got interviews, but now nada on where you matched? this would be far more beneficial for future applicants so they know places that actually take I/FMGs.

Reactions: 3 users
Posted in the damn wrong threat.
Matched at SUNY downstate IM
204,231, cs pass

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations to everyone who matched! Cherish it and be happy! You worked so hard to get to this point in your life.

For those of us who did not match, crying time is over! Look over your app and put your self in a position to do a lot better this season!

I did NOT match, it was the hardest time of my life. I think its because I was not ECFMG certified til Feb 27th.

My gf matched into a top program!

now that I am certified and will have my application ready to submit before 1st day in sept, I am excited about my chances.

I am going to be doing hands on externships for next 6 months, some observerships at einstein and SUNY upstate along with research and posters. I will also be volunteering at a free health clinic, and soup kitchen. I will NOT be doing step 3 as my scores are decent, dont need visa and have been told by many mentors/nrmo data that it wont be nearly as fruitful as my other activities.

I think my app will get a huge boost, and Im excited about my first real season as a complete applicant.

UPDATE: March 11th 2019- I MATCHED!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Congratulations to everyone who matched! Cherish it and be happy! You worked so hard to get to this point in your life.

For those of us who did not match, crying time is over! Look over your app and put your self in a position to do a lot better this season!

I did NOT match, it was the hardest time of my life. I think its because I was not ECFMG certified til Feb 27th.

now that I am certified and will have my application ready to submit before 1st day in sept, I am excited about my chances.

I am going to be doing hands on externships for next 6 months, some observerships at einstein and SUNY upstate along with research and posters. I will also be volunteering at a free health clinic, and soup kitchen. I will NOT be doing step 3 as my scores are decent, dont need visa and have been told by many mentors/nrmo data that it wont be nearly as fruitful as my other activities.

I think my app will get a huge boost, and Im excited about my first real season as a complete applicant.
Also doesn't hurt that you have a gf to put in a good word for you ;)

Reactions: 1 users

What happened to your buddy who owns the hospital? Sorry man.

Congratulations!

what is your YOG?
visa status?
research?
2015, I’m from queens so no visa. No research. I actually got rejected. Ten days later received an email for an interview. Super weird but life Is funny that way. I have done a lot of international medical missions because that was how we trained. I also didn’t wear a suit. I wore a sweater to each interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
What happened to your buddy who owns the hospital? Sorry man.

Yes, there was a problem with overconfidence and poor decision making, we all saw it written on the wall. I do feel bad that he did not match but it is a clear lesson of other applicants about the importance of being EGFMG certified prior to applying for residency. It's not worth the gamble. That said, I wish him all the best.

Reactions: 1 users