You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
IMGs Applying to Internal Medicine. 2018
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
What do you guys think about SUNY downstate brooklyn vs Uni Buffalo?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Guys, Does anyone have general info about Letter of interest? Like when are they supposed to be sent and should we tell every program that they are our 1st choice or what should we say to the ones other than our top choice(s)????
This is the answe I got when I asked someome who works for a PD.Guys, Does anyone have general info about Letter of interest? Like when are they supposed to be sent and should we tell every program that they are our 1st choice or what should we say to the ones other than our top choice(s)????
As for the letter of intent, not a good idea. I'm so glad you asked before sending anything. As Dr.......stated during your interview day, the ABIM has ruled that post interview communications are not allowed.
I'm not sure who or why someone started recommending letters of intent,
but I hope other applicants are checking before sending them.
Guys, Does anyone have general info about Letter of interest? Like when are they supposed to be sent and should we tell every program that they are our 1st choice or what should we say to the ones other than our top choice(s)????
Program dependent. Some programs will tell you not to, some will encourage you to let them know. It’s really up to you, I’ve sent a couple and received responses.
don't lie...Guys, Does anyone have general info about Letter of interest? Like when are they supposed to be sent and should we tell every program that they are our 1st choice or what should we say to the ones other than our top choice(s)????
and post interview communication is discouraged by most programs
there is a thread about how a person had their letter sent back to them stamped "refused". Probably not a good idea.
Thank you card returned
Hey guys, I need help ranking these programs. I'll really appreciate any input. All these are for internal medicine. Thanks.
Maimonides medical center, NY
Atlantic health (Overlook), NJ
Saint peters university hospital, NJ
Kendall medical center, Florida
Michigan state university
University of buffalo-sisters of charity, NY
St. Agnes medical center, Maryland
St. Vincent charity hospital, cleveland
Mercy catholic medical center, Pennsylvania
McLaren Flint medical center, Michigan
SUNY downstate, NY
Howard University, D.C
UPMC pinnacle, Pennylvania
Bassett Medical center, NY
University of north dakota, North dakota
Thanks for all the help...
Maimonides medical center, NY
Atlantic health (Overlook), NJ
Saint peters university hospital, NJ
Kendall medical center, Florida
Michigan state university
University of buffalo-sisters of charity, NY
St. Agnes medical center, Maryland
St. Vincent charity hospital, cleveland
Mercy catholic medical center, Pennsylvania
McLaren Flint medical center, Michigan
SUNY downstate, NY
Howard University, D.C
UPMC pinnacle, Pennylvania
Bassett Medical center, NY
University of north dakota, North dakota
Thanks for all the help...
Hey guys, I need help ranking these programs. I'll really appreciate any input. All these are for internal medicine. Thanks.
Maimonides medical center, NY
Atlantic health (Overlook), NJ
Saint peters university hospital, NJ
Kendall medical center, Florida
Michigan state university
University of buffalo-sisters of charity, NY
St. Agnes medical center, Maryland
St. Vincent charity hospital, cleveland
Mercy catholic medical center, Pennsylvania
McLaren Flint medical center, Michigan
SUNY downstate, NY
Howard University, D.C
UPMC pinnacle, Pennylvania
Bassett Medical center, NY
University of north dakota, North dakota
Thanks for all the help...
are these in the order on your ROL? Why do you have uni programs so low on your list?
It completely random order. Have you made your ROL? I am going to go over the programs today and will try to arrange them in an order that makes sense. Lets see how it goes. BTW do you have any input on any of these programs, like any which might be malignant etc....are these in the order on your ROL? Why do you have uni programs so low on your list?
Thanks.
helps people to be able to give you advice if they are in an order of preference.It completely random order. Have you made your ROL? I am going to go over the programs today and will try to arrange them in an order that makes sense. Lets see how it goes. BTW do you have any input on any of these programs, like any which might be malignant etc....
Thanks.
i made my ROL in 2008, so probably not much help and the only one i had in common with you was Downstate.
depends on what you want...Downstate with work you, but they have every fellowship and your best bet is usually in house. And you will be well trained.
Maimo has practically every fellowship and from friends that rotated/did residency there, they saw wide variety of pathology and good training.
helps people to be able to give you advice if they are in an order of preference.
i made my ROL in 2008, so probably not much help and the only one i had in common with you was Downstate.
depends on what you want...Downstate with work you, but they have every fellowship and your best bet is usually in house. And you will be well trained.
Maimo has practically every fellowship and from friends that rotated/did residency there, they saw wide variety of pathology and good training.
Yea, Mamonides is my 1st. And Bassets is my last. I am interested in Heme onc or Pulm crit fellowship
Yea, Mamonides is my 1st. And Bassets is my. I am interested in Heme onc or Pulm crit fellowship
Do you know anything about St Agnes medical center, Baltimore or Atlantic health overlook, NJ and Michigan state univ??
Thanks
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
helps people to be able to give you advice if they are in an order of preference.
i made my ROL in 2008, so probably not much help and the only one i had in common with you was Downstate.
depends on what you want...Downstate with work you, but they have every fellowship and your best bet is usually in house. And you will be well trained.
Maimo has practically every fellowship and from friends that rotated/did residency there, they saw wide variety of pathology and good training.
Also can you tell me whichever is better from fellowship point of view - Howard Univ or Michigan state univ???
Thanks
EqualAlso can you tell me whichever is better from fellowship point of view - Howard Univ or Michigan state univ???
Thanks
Hey all. Please advise on what your thoughts are regarding my rank list.
Danbury hospital, CT
Marshall university, WV
Good Samaritan hospital, OH
Hackensack Montclair NJ
CAMC, WV
White river health, Arkansas
Danbury hospital, CT
Marshall university, WV
Good Samaritan hospital, OH
Hackensack Montclair NJ
CAMC, WV
White river health, Arkansas
Hey Guys,
Can you help me in preparing my ROL?
I want to pursue cardiology after IM. So I want an IM program with good reputation, training and research to join a strong cardiology fellowship either away or in house. Also I want a friendly work environment (non malignant program).
From these aspects, what’s your recommendation regarding the ROL (specially 1st choices)?
The list
1- UMass Worcester, MA
2- University of Arizona College of Medicine Phoenix, AZ
3- University of Missouri Kansas City, MO
4- UConn Hartford, CT
5- Creighton University, Omaha NE
6- Lahey Hospital, Burlington, MA
7- St John Providence Detroit, MI
8- Texas Tech Lubbock
9- East Carolina University Greenville, NC
10- SUNY Downstate Brooklyn, NY
11- University of South Dakota
12- Western Michigan Kalamazoo, MI
13- Rochester Regional (Unity Hospital), NY
14- Staten Island University Hospital (Hofstra) NY
Thanks for your time and I appreciate any advice or modification
Can you help me in preparing my ROL?
I want to pursue cardiology after IM. So I want an IM program with good reputation, training and research to join a strong cardiology fellowship either away or in house. Also I want a friendly work environment (non malignant program).
From these aspects, what’s your recommendation regarding the ROL (specially 1st choices)?
The list
1- UMass Worcester, MA
2- University of Arizona College of Medicine Phoenix, AZ
3- University of Missouri Kansas City, MO
4- UConn Hartford, CT
5- Creighton University, Omaha NE
6- Lahey Hospital, Burlington, MA
7- St John Providence Detroit, MI
8- Texas Tech Lubbock
9- East Carolina University Greenville, NC
10- SUNY Downstate Brooklyn, NY
11- University of South Dakota
12- Western Michigan Kalamazoo, MI
13- Rochester Regional (Unity Hospital), NY
14- Staten Island University Hospital (Hofstra) NY
Thanks for your time and I appreciate any advice or modification
8
868853
Hey Guys,
Can you help me in preparing my ROL?
I want to pursue cardiology after IM. So I want an IM program with good reputation, training and research to join a strong cardiology fellowship either away or in house. Also I want a friendly work environment (non malignant program).
From these aspects, what’s your recommendation regarding the ROL (specially 1st choices)?
The list
1- UMass Worcester, MA
2- University of Arizona College of Medicine Phoenix, AZ
3- University of Missouri Kansas City, MO
4- UConn Hartford, CT
5- Creighton University, Omaha NE
6- Lahey Hospital, Burlington, MA
7- St John Providence Detroit, MI
8- Texas Tech Lubbock
9- East Carolina University Greenville, NC
10- SUNY Downstate Brooklyn, NY
11- University of South Dakota
12- Western Michigan Kalamazoo, MI
13- Rochester Regional (Unity Hospital), NY
14- Staten Island University Hospital (Hofstra) NY
Thanks for your time and I appreciate any advice or modification
I would probably bump Downstate up a few notches. It's probably a better program than Creighton, Lahey, and St John Providence, but that's up to you.
I would probably rank them: UMass, Arizona, Missouri, UConn, Downstate, Creighton, Texas Tech, ECU the rest
I would probably bump Downstate up a few notches. It's probably a better program than Creighton, Lahey, and St John Providence, but that's up to you.
I would probably rank them: UMass, Arizona, Missouri, UConn, Downstate, Creighton, Texas Tech, ECU the rest
Thanks a lot, Do you agree with the order of the 1st 4 (UMass, Arizona-Phoenix, Missouri-Kansas City, UConn)?
hi.
could some one help with ranking
1. University of Illinois Chicago at Peoria
2. Unity hospital Rochester
3. washington medical center, DC
4. NYC metropolitan
I am an IMG. interested in GI/Pul fellowship. would like H1 visa rather than J1.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
could some one help with ranking
1. University of Illinois Chicago at Peoria
2. Unity hospital Rochester
3. washington medical center, DC
4. NYC metropolitan
I am an IMG. interested in GI/Pul fellowship. would like H1 visa rather than J1.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
There's no 1 program that stands out from those 4. They are all low to mid tier university programs that will provide basically the same opportunities going forward. Maybe UMass and UConn will give you more opportunity just being in the northeast and there seems to be some regionality to fellowship matches, or maybe not.Thanks a lot, Do you agree with the order of the 1st 4 (UMass, Arizona-Phoenix, Missouri-Kansas City, UConn)?
I would just rank them in the order that you liked them/where you want to live and call it a day.
8
868853
hi.
could some one help with ranking
1. University of Illinois Chicago at Peoria
2. Unity hospital Rochester
3. washington medical center, DC
4. NYC metropolitan
I am an IMG. interested in GI/Pul fellowship. would like H1 visa rather than J1.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Washington Hospital Center? If so, it's the best program on this list.
These are all either university-affiliated community or just community (unity) programs. I would rank the university affiliated programs higher, and prioritize the ones that have in-house fellowships in what you are interested in. Otherwise, none of these programs are significantly different than the others.hi.
could some one help with ranking
1. University of Illinois Chicago at Peoria
2. Unity hospital Rochester
3. washington medical center, DC
4. NYC metropolitan
I am an IMG. interested in GI/Pul fellowship. would like H1 visa rather than J1.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Okay, thanks a lotThere's no 1 program that stands out from those 4. They are all low to mid tier university programs that will provide basically the same opportunities going forward. Maybe UMass and UConn will give you more opportunity just being in the northeast and there seems to be some regionality to fellowship matches, or maybe not.
I would just rank them in the order that you liked them/where you want to live and call it a day.
Thanks, Good Luck to you too! Please share how you guys do in 3 weeks.Well, it's all out of our hands now. Good luck to everyone!!!!
How is everyone holding up waiting for the match?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Try to improve 2ck and take step3, Migratory Status helps too. 230 is not gonna get you filtered out though. They're gonna see your application, you just have to make it more desirable.With 230’s on step 1, what did u guys do to increas your chances for IV’s?
Is getting harder to sleep, beer is not helping anymore lol.How is everyone holding up waiting for the match?
Bad. The wait is horrible.How is everyone holding up waiting for the match?
Your stats are very similar to mine, do you need visa? With those scores you can get a decent number of iv if you apply broadly and don't need visa. It is sad but it's the truth, visa is becoming the Gold standard for IMGs with average scores. Connexions are a plus too.Hi, I am an international medical graduate from India , passed my medical school in the year 2013, did my MD in radiation oncology from India in 2016. I have passed the usmle step 1 with score of 231, step 2 Ck 242 and step 2 cs all in first attempt. I am currently doing observerhips in Chicago, I have completed observerships in cardiology, nephrology from elmhurst memorial hospital , illinois 8 weeks, have a 4 week radiation oncology observership at RUSH university medical centre. , 4 week observership in neuro oncology from RUSH university, chicago . I have 3 letters of recommendations from RUSH university. I am interested in shifting to medical oncology for which i want to do internal medicine. I also have 12 publications and a research thesis from india. What are my chances ? I am planning to apply for 2019 match year. I am also planning to take the step 3 before the applications.
What do you mean by applying broadly? thank you for the suggestion
Apply everywhere
Like PlutoBoy said. Everywhere! At least 150 programs.What do you mean by applying broadly? thank you for the suggestion
Matched!
Matched too. Both me and the SO.
y'all were so free with posting where you got interviews, but now nada on where you matched? this would be far more beneficial for future applicants so they know places that actually take I/FMGs.
Posted in the damn wrong threat.
Matched at SUNY downstate IM
204,231, cs pass
Matched at SUNY downstate IM
204,231, cs pass
Congratulations!Posted in the damn wrong threat.
Matched at SUNY downstate IM
204,231, cs pass
what is your YOG?
visa status?
research?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations to everyone who matched! Cherish it and be happy! You worked so hard to get to this point in your life.
For those of us who did not match, crying time is over! Look over your app and put your self in a position to do a lot better this season!
I did NOT match, it was the hardest time of my life. I think its because I was not ECFMG certified til Feb 27th.
My gf matched into a top program!
now that I am certified and will have my application ready to submit before 1st day in sept, I am excited about my chances.
I am going to be doing hands on externships for next 6 months, some observerships at einstein and SUNY upstate along with research and posters. I will also be volunteering at a free health clinic, and soup kitchen. I will NOT be doing step 3 as my scores are decent, dont need visa and have been told by many mentors/nrmo data that it wont be nearly as fruitful as my other activities.
I think my app will get a huge boost, and Im excited about my first real season as a complete applicant.
UPDATE: March 11th 2019- I MATCHED!
For those of us who did not match, crying time is over! Look over your app and put your self in a position to do a lot better this season!
I did NOT match, it was the hardest time of my life. I think its because I was not ECFMG certified til Feb 27th.
My gf matched into a top program!
now that I am certified and will have my application ready to submit before 1st day in sept, I am excited about my chances.
I am going to be doing hands on externships for next 6 months, some observerships at einstein and SUNY upstate along with research and posters. I will also be volunteering at a free health clinic, and soup kitchen. I will NOT be doing step 3 as my scores are decent, dont need visa and have been told by many mentors/nrmo data that it wont be nearly as fruitful as my other activities.
I think my app will get a huge boost, and Im excited about my first real season as a complete applicant.
UPDATE: March 11th 2019- I MATCHED!
Last edited:
Also doesn't hurt that you have a gf to put in a good word for you 😉Congratulations to everyone who matched! Cherish it and be happy! You worked so hard to get to this point in your life.
For those of us who did not match, crying time is over! Look over your app and put your self in a position to do a lot better this season!
I did NOT match, it was the hardest time of my life. I think its because I was not ECFMG certified til Feb 27th.
My gf matched into a top program!
now that I am certified and will have my application ready to submit before 1st day in sept, I am excited about my chances.
I am going to be doing hands on externships for next 6 months, some observerships at einstein and SUNY upstate along with research and posters. I will also be volunteering at a free health clinic, and soup kitchen. I will NOT be doing step 3 as my scores are decent, dont need visa and have been told by many mentors/nrmo data that it wont be nearly as fruitful as my other activities.
I think my app will get a huge boost, and Im excited about my first real season as a complete applicant.
Congratulations to everyone who matched! Cherish it and be happy! You worked so hard to get to this point in your life.
For those of us who did not match, crying time is over! Look over your app and put your self in a position to do a lot better this season!
I did NOT match, it was the hardest time of my life. I think its because I was not ECFMG certified til Feb 27th.
My gf matched into a top program!
now that I am certified and will have my application ready to submit before 1st day in sept, I am excited about my chances.
I am going to be doing hands on externships for next 6 months, some observerships at einstein and SUNY upstate along with research and posters. I will also be volunteering at a free health clinic, and soup kitchen. I will NOT be doing step 3 as my scores are decent, dont need visa and have been told by many mentors/nrmo data that it wont be nearly as fruitful as my other activities.
I think my app will get a huge boost, and Im excited about my first real season as a complete applicant.
What happened to your buddy who owns the hospital? Sorry man.
2015, I’m from queens so no visa. No research. I actually got rejected. Ten days later received an email for an interview. Super weird but life Is funny that way. I have done a lot of international medical missions because that was how we trained. I also didn’t wear a suit. I wore a sweater to each interview.Congratulations!
what is your YOG?
visa status?
research?
Last edited:
What happened to your buddy who owns the hospital? Sorry man.
Yes, there was a problem with overconfidence and poor decision making, we all saw it written on the wall. I do feel bad that he did not match but it is a clear lesson of other applicants about the importance of being EGFMG certified prior to applying for residency. It's not worth the gamble. That said, I wish him all the best.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K