IMGs Applying to Internal Medicine. 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can give you an IMGs (visa requiring) perspective who is applying for fellowship this year

Yes it does matter which program you come from (unless you are the type who did 2 years of research before residency)
That to say not all community program are same . I know few excellent community programs ( einstien philly, Washington hospital center , allegheny general ) whose residents do excellent in fellowship matches
It also depends on what you want . GI is tough work even for Lower tier university applicants . Cards/Pulm Crit/ haem onc/rheum are doable from a community hospital but you will have to shoot for community / lower tier university programs and need to have decent research . Endo is easier to get into with majority applicant IMG . Nephro/ID you don't need to even apply as the positions go unfilled

Research and research opportunities are key to landing quality fellowship positions, even for AMGs. Most university programs are academic and have ongoing research in many fields which makes it easier to get involved as a resident. Community programs often do not, which is obviously a barrier to involvement.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
IMG world is different from AMG world . Most places that take IMG are the one who don't get any AMG . So a program which would be a bottom of the pile for you might be the top of the pile for IMG
Eh...downstate was still number 15 on my ROL...there are better programs with more education and less scut...but as my dad said, people know that you trained at kings county they know you can handle anything.

Reactions: 1 users
I can give you an IMGs (visa requiring) perspective who is applying for fellowship this year

Yes it does matter which program you come from (unless you are the type who did 2 years of research before residency)
That to say not all community program are same . I know few excellent community programs ( einstien philly, Washington hospital center , allegheny general ) whose residents do excellent in fellowship matches
It also depends on what you want . GI is tough work even for Lower tier university applicants . Cards/Pulm Crit/ haem onc/rheum are doable from a community hospital but you will have to shoot for community / lower tier university programs and need to have decent research . Endo is easier to get into with majority applicant IMG . Nephro/ID you don't need to even apply as the positions go unfilled
Thank you. I am interested in a Community program due to location and I just found they have a few good fellows like Cards and GI in house, so that might creates more research opportunities as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I am interested in a Community program due to location and I just found they have a few good fellows like Cards and GI in house, so that might creates more research opportunities as well.
and your best shot at a fellowship is in house...check to see if they like their own.

Had my first interview last week. KU-Wichita. Looks like a great place. I can give more information through a pm if anyone is interested.

Rejection-Medstar Wahsting Hospital/ Georgetown university
Einsteing Health Care-Reject

Last edited:
IV #5-Danbury Hospital-CT

Rejection Kettering--said they require 245+ on both step exams
Rejection West Virgina University
Rejection Jacobi Einstein
rejection chicago rosalind franklin mchenry

Last edited:
Got my 1st iv yesterday, everything went well, but somehow I got the impression that they already now who are they gonna rank and the iv is just to put a face to the name, maybe I am wrong though, but that's what I am taking home.

Rejections from West Virginia University and from Drexel. Hopefully I eventually get something positive this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to all of you. Is there a non-US IMG visa needing applicant here with no US clinical experience who has interviews?

Which programs are involved in the pre-match?

I'm probably very late into the game.....

is anyone else going to post open spots? If its just me then I wont bother.

3 out of her 18 Invites are either waitlist or full IV slots. 15 have multiple spots with 10 of then having 10+ so I think everyone should be actively sending out emails showing interest because there seems to be a lot of IVs out there still!

Good luck everyone!!!
18???

Received rejection from Mt Auburn the past week.
Rejection from Manatee Memorial, Florida today.

Seems page became very quiet since I joined.....or it's just my paranoia

Non-American IMG (need visa), 250/250+/1st attempt, 1 mo USCE, 2 mo research in the US, several non-peer reviewed articles online, none peer-reviewed (sad), 2 US LoRs, applied late (10/20; very sad) to 42 programs.

So far, just 1 interview invite (10/26).

Non-American IMG (need visa), 250/250+/1st attempt, 1 mo USCE, 2 mo research in the US, several non-peer reviewed articles online, none peer-reviewed (sad), 2 US LoRs, applied late (10/20; very sad) to 42 programs.

why did you apply to only 42 programs?

Reactions: 4 users

I think you need to apply to 100-150 programs, as an IMG I don't think 42 is enough.

Since your already invested in this match, I think if you add more programs you can get a lot more interviews. Especially considering spots are still open and people will start canceling interviews.

Last edited:
UMMS-Baystate Rejection

so far about 24 rejections, 5 invites and 5 acknowledgements.

Last edited:
HI everyone
Im a US IMG
step 1 and ck 250+
CS pass but came in late ( mid october)
applied to 189 programs
10 invites ( 3 university 7 community)
27 rejections
rejected from UTSW today on a sunday!

Last edited by a moderator:
HI everyone
Im a US IMG
step 1 and ck 250+
applied to 189 programs
27 rejections

when did you graduate?
do you have USCE and LoRs??

HI everyone
Im a US IMG
step 1 and ck 250+
applied to 189 programs
27 rejections

Congrats!! Mind sharing which 3 university programs and which 7 community? thx :)

To everyone concerned about me thank u...I am hopeful ... I know I have 2 more months to go

I believe some day some program will like my cv too:)

Last edited:
First, you are not worthless. It is an uphill battle as an IMG and you have a couple of things that did not help you, most notably the late CK result. This means that you would probably not be ECFMG certified until mid November. Most programs may wait for this before offering interviews. By then, most spots will have been given away. You should also have strengthened your application by having your Step 3 done. There is no good reason not to as an IMG. Your three years since graduation, only 1 month of USCE, and drastic drop in Step 2 score are not helping. This says nothing about you at all, I am just stating the hard facts.

You may still hope to get an interview once your ECFMG certification is through. You should email programs at that point. If you do not match this year, make sure that you get your Step 3 done by next cycle. Make sure you rock it. Try to get some more clinical exposure in the US although I understand the options are very limited. Try to get some research done. Make certain that there are not additional red flags in your application. Are you sure your LOR are great? Have you seen your MSPE. Is your personal statement a turn off? Any mistake can cost your dearly, so cover your bases. Best of luck!

First, you are not worthless. It is an uphill battle as an IMG and you have a couple of things that did not help you, most notably the late CK result. This means that you would probably not be ECFMG certified until mid November. Most programs may wait for this before offering interviews. By then, most spots will have been given away. You should also have strengthened your application by having your Step 3 done. There is no good reason not to as an IMG. Your three years since graduation, only 1 month of USCE, and drastic drop in Step 2 score are not helping. This says nothing about you at all, I am just stating the hard facts.

You may still hope to get an interview once your ECFMG certification is through. You should email programs at that point. If you do not match this year, make sure that you get your Step 3 done by next cycle. Make sure you rock it. Try to get some more clinical exposure in the US although I understand the options are very limited. Try to get some research done. Make certain that there are not additional red flags in your application. Are you sure your LOR are great? Have you seen your MSPE. Is your personal statement a turn off? Any mistake can cost your dearly, so cover your bases. Best of luck!
I am ECFMG certified ...but I didn't let the programs know that...I thought it gets updated automatically....i emailed and called them about ck though

I am ECFMG certified ...but I didn't let the programs know that...I thought it gets updated automatically....i emailed and called them about ck though
Do I have to let them about ECFMG certification too ?

Im surprised with your PhD and step score you have no action.

Did you apply broadly and to lots of programs? Visa? Have you contacted the program you did your away at?

Im surprised with your PhD and step score you have no action.

Did you apply broadly and to lots of programs? Visa? Have you contacted the program you did your away at?

Visa is definitely a problem, at my first interview the PD told me right away that with the “current administration” they can’t afford no shows...

Sp
Visa is definitely a problem, at my first interview the PD told me right away that with the “current administration” they can’t afford no shows...
Does this mean we have no chance ? All that time money and hard work going down the drain.... ;(

Rejections from monday/tuesday this week (responses via email after email of interest)

Wellstar Kennestone Regional medical Center-rejection
Montefiore New Rochelle-Rejection
Sanford Health-Rejction
cleveland clinic akron general-slots full
monmouth medical center- rejection
Genesys regional medical center-finished Iv's apparently
UTSA-rejected on sunday
Drexel
Gundersen Health
St. Louis School of Medicine
Henry/Ford Wayne State
bayview john hopkins
wright university international
mayo clinicl florida

NY college of medicine-note will be added to file
Also got 4 emails that said they will review my application yesterday

brings total to 5 IVs, 34 Rejection, 10 will review, 285 not heard from haha

Last edited:
Sp

Does this mean we have no chance ? All that time money and hard work going down the drain.... ;(
For those that don't know ECFMG certificate comes out after a couple days for IMGs that have graduated after passing last step exam.

What kind of places did you apply to? Did you do your research? IMG friendly and broadly?
One thing that stands out to me is 3 US LOR with only 1 month of experience?

Nothing is guranteed for us IMG's even if you have 15 IVs. We need to be proud of our accomplishments this far and keep going. Start looking into more hands on experience, research, volunteering. Get fresh LoR's from US attendings, make sure app is flawless for next year. No time for us to sit and sulk, I feel the pain you have. Just keep pushing forward and take that spot next year. We can add step 3 and a lot of experience in the next year and apply on day 1, I think we will see a huge turn around. Just make sure you apply everywhere that give visa's.

You can do it, we all can!!! Never give up, show yourself how strong you are and do it man!! You come way too far to think about quitting!!

Do I have to let them about ECFMG certification too ?
I would send update emails to all your programs asap, it is a great way to have a "real reason" for emailing and showing interest all in one...good luck!!

For those that don't know ECFMG certificate comes out after a couple days for IMGs that have graduated after passing last step exam.

What kind of places did you apply to? Did you do your research? IMG friendly and broadly?
One thing that stands out to me is 3 US LOR with only 1 month of experience?

Nothing is guranteed for us IMG's even if you have 15 IVs. We need to be proud of our accomplishments this far and keep going. Start looking into more hands on experience, research, volunteering. Get fresh LoR's from US attendings, make sure app is flawless for next year. No time for us to sit and sulk, I feel the pain you have. Just keep pushing forward and take that spot next year. We can add step 3 and a lot of experience in the next year and apply on day 1, I think we will see a huge turn around. Just make sure you apply everywhere that give visa's.

You can do it, we all can!!! Never give up, show yourself how strong you are and do it man!! You come way too far to think about quitting!!
well, 15 IVs does give you a 95% chance of matching per NRMP data...but of course you can't screw the interview...the interview is basically to see if you fit in...DNR can certainly happen if you are "that guy".