INBDE vs. NBDE I/II: Pros, Cons, Discussion. Etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICantEven

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am apart of a D21 class which was given the option of taking the traditional boards (NBDE 1 & 2) or the INBDE. However, I noticed there hasn't been much conversation between the two exams and discussion over the pros/cons of taking one over the other.

Here is the official page for the INBDE.

Quicks Facts:
  • Taken when you'd usually take NBDE II
  • 300-450 Questions (vs. 900 Questions NBDE I+II)
  • "test relies less on rote knowledge and information recall than the current NBDE examinations do, and instead it emphasizes the decision-making process relevant to the safe practice of dentistry, through the integration of the basic sciences and dental and clinical science" - INBDE Student Fact Sheet

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
There are many arguments for the taking the INBDE exam; the main one being that it is taken after the third year of dental school so the integrated nature of the exam is much more applicable to what you have been doing and some subjects such as dental anatomy are more intuitive. This also plays into the potential retake situation. For NBDE part 1, our school has us take it the summer after D1 and if we don't pass we take it winter break of D2 (supposedly the most needed break of dental school). If you don't pass the integrated first time around, then you have time for 3 more attempts during the fourth year during which time you are already improving yourself on the material that is being tested and able to apply the concepts you are studying in your day-to-day.

Take the INDBE. I took both part 1 and 2, and I was also part of the pilot group that took the INBDE a few months ago.

The integrated exam is way more chill, and yes, more applicable to clinic.

1. It’s better and less stressful, less time consuming to study for two big exams.
2. Less questions in the INDBE, less chance for them to ask ridiculously obscure questions, more chances for them to ask more clinically relevant questions that you will be more familiar with after 1 year of clinicals. Less chance for you to have to study about micro, path, Biochem, other stuff that’s less relevant to dentistry. I think they realized how irrelevant all of that was, and testing dental students about it was worthless.
3. It’s 1 day vs 4 days of the NBDE (combined).
4. In my opinion, the INDBE was way easier than both NBDE’s.

I’m half brain dead now so I can’t cohorently think of more reasons, but you have to take my word for it. :p My classmates that participated in the pilot also agreed with me and said that it was “super chill.”

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Take the INDBE. I took both part 1 and 2, and I was also part of the pilot group that took the INBDE a few months ago.

1. It’s better and less stressful, less time consuming to study for two big exams.
2. Less questions in the INDBE, less chance for them to ask ridiculously obscure questions, more chances for them to ask more clinically relevant questions that you will be more familiar with after 1 year of clinicals. Less chance for you to have to study about micro, path, Biochem, other stuff that’s less relevant to dentistry. I think they realized how irrelevant all of that was, and testing dental students about it was worthless.

I’m half brain dead now so I can’t cohorently think of more reasons, but you have to take my word for it. :p My classmates that participated in the pilot also agreed with me and said that it was “super chill.”

I second this. I have taken part 1/2 as well as the integrated pilot exam and would agree that the Integrated exam is very similar to part 2 by itself so you just end up avoiding needing to learn the less applicable material from part 1 boards. My 2 cents

Reactions: 2 users
So if we are entering as c/o 2022, will we get the option of choosing or is this dependent on our dental school?

Reactions: 1 user

I second this. I have taken part 1/2 as well as the integrated pilot exam and would agree that the Integrated exam is very similar to part 2 by itself so you just end up avoiding needing to learn the less applicable material from part 1 boards. My 2 cents

This is a big decision for me right now as I would need to decide soon If I am going to take Part I this summer. One of my main concerns is that during third year it will become difficult to prepare for the full exam and recall all the basic sciences that we learned this year while if I take part I this summer its still fresh in my head and then I don't have to worry about it again later. Do you think the basic sciences were of a level that it would be difficult to go back and review? Since we are the transition class and are being encouraged to go traditional by the administration I am not sure they will arrange a schedule that budgets for this. However, I have heard that biochem is not on INDBE exam. Is this something you are aware of?

I am a big fan of INDBE right now and I like how it more closely correlates with what we're doing in clinic but I have reservations about being the first group to see it first hand. There may not be good study materials on the market and while ~95% of my class is getting part I out of the way I'll be waiting 2 years to see if I made the right decision while my basic science knowledge slowly fades. With all these things considered would you still feel strongly about going with the INDBE?

So if we are entering as c/o 2022, will we get the option of choosing or is this dependent on our dental school?

As of now I believe the ADA's plan is to introduce the INDBE for the class of 2022 so I don't think you guys will have the option.

I do not think the pilot exam is completely representative of the finished exam rolling out 2022. I know lots of the questions are still being written for the INBDE, so the early versions will be tweeked if it is deemed too easy.

The inbde I took required little to no knowledge of basic sciences from part 1 boards. I don't know the final percentile I scored in but it was at least the top 25%

The inbde I took required little to no knowledge of basic sciences from part 1 boards. I don't know the final percentile I scored in but it was at least the top 25%

Oh that's interesting, so you didn't see any biochem? Another main thing I'm wondering is in what way is the INBDE different from the current NBDE part 2?

Oh that's interesting, so you didn't see any biochem? Another main thing I'm wondering is in what way is the INBDE different from the current NBDE part 2?
It' been 4 months since I took it but I didn't remember it being any significant part. I really couldn' make many distinctions between the two exams. I'm sure they'e intention is to make it more integrated with part 1 but I can' say it was a really noticeble difference

hi, so the INBDE has started ?? people are taking them now ?

It' been 4 months since I took it but I didn't remember it being any significant part. I really couldn' make many distinctions between the two exams. I'm sure they'e intention is to make it more integrated with part 1 but I can' say it was a really noticeble difference

you took the INBDE already ? i thought there was still time for it to start

Members don't see this ad :)
you took the INBDE already ? i thought there was still time for it to start
I took the pilot exam, the ADA paid people to test it before it was released.

I took the pilot exam, the ADA paid people to test it before it was released.

o really ?? when was this ?? are there going to me more of these ?? and how did you study for this?

o really ?? when was this ?? are there going to me more of these ?? and how did you study for this?
I would not presume there are anymore pilot exams because they are starting the real exam soon. I have no idea to confirm this though. I did not study considering I had taken boards about 6 months prior. Nothing was riding on my performance so I want really bothered to study.

I would not presume there are anymore pilot exams because they are starting the real exam soon. I have no idea to confirm this though. I did not study considering I had taken boards about 6 months prior. Nothing was riding on my performance so I want really bothered to study.
O OK. But did they provide you with any study material or gave you any information on how to study?

O OK. But did they provide you with any study material or gave you any information on how to study?
do you by any chance know how many people, out of the an approximate total number, pass NBDE exam?

I don't remember them giving any outline of what to study other than saying it involved material from part 1 and 2.

Is inbde much easier than NBDEs?

Took NBDE part 1 and 2 then they paid for us to take INDBE. If you guys have an option, take the INDBE, it's much easier and less but more relevant material to dentistry.

To play devil's advocate here, there are some conversations happening within the ADA to change the INBDE to a two part exam, albiet both when you'd traditionally take Part II. So the pilot exam y'all are taking right now, may or may not be indicative of what they are rolling out two years from now. A lot can change, so just keep that in mind as you're choosing.

Personally, I did Part I this summer, and it wasn't bad. Just buckle down and study. And know everything about premolars and primary first molars. Dang those teeth.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Nice Thread.
Bumping back to life

Also looking for more advice about this... We have the option of taking part I in the winter/spring or taking INDBE our 4th year. Most of my class is opting for the Part I/II option but based on these responses, why would I take 2 exams instead of 1? Will the INDBE require detailed knowledge of biochem mechanisms or microbio to answer clinically-based questions? How much harder is it than the part II alone? Will I have to cover more material my 4th year for the INDBE than my classmates will for part II?

Also looking for more advice about this... We have the option of taking part I in the winter/spring or taking INDBE our 4th year. Most of my class is opting for the Part I/II option but based on these responses, why would I take 2 exams instead of 1? Will the INDBE require detailed knowledge of biochem mechanisms or microbio to answer clinically-based questions? How much harder is it than the part II alone? Will I have to cover more material my 4th year for the INDBE than my classmates will for part II?
I am also wondering all of the above

Hello.
Could you tell me what materials did you use for the INBDE preparation ?

Hello.
Could you tell me what materials did you use for the INBDE preparation ?
I didn’t study at all. Haha.
I took it as a pilot so whether or not I “passed” the INDBE didn’t matter. I had already passed both NBDE I And II.

Even without studying and just guessing on most of the science questions, I still scored in an upper percentile bracket (based on my reimbursement that I received).

Not sure what’s the update on the INDBE and if it’s officially being rolled out, but I still think it was easier than the separate NDBE’s.

Let's bump this again. Class of 2022 is the last class that will get to choose between the two (depending on your school). Most of my classmates are going with the old boards but the more I read about it, the more it makes sense to go with the INBDE. People are generally uneasy about being guinea pigs, though.

How long will it take for study materials to come out?

Last edited:
One of my professors was on the board that wrote questions for the new exam. He said if the test writers didn't know the answer off the top of their head, they wouldnt ask that question. That's why the new exam is a lot less "fact based" and more clinically oriented. i.e they're not going to ask you about a specific enzyme in a random pathway.

Personally I'm looking forward to taking the new exam. It's only one exam and since it's new, they probably don't have a definitive curve set so it should be easier to pass.

I took part 1 & 2 but also beta tested the INBDE. I would 100% recommend just taking the INBDE. All of the worthless material that's in Part I that will never apply to the practice of clinical dentistry is removed so what general science questions are on there are actually relevant to what you will be doing.

I took it the spring semester of my 4th year and was able to comfortably recall info I had learned in D1 and D2

Reactions: 4 users
My class doesn't have a choice. It'll be interesting for sure, and I hope it will still be relevant, clinical material.

For the INBDE, did they ask the old perio classifications or the new ones? (Also curious for the most recent NBDE exam takers)

Reactions: 1 users
For the INBDE, did they ask the old perio classifications or the new ones? (Also curious for the most recent NBDE exam takers)

I didn't have any questions on any of the exams that specifically asked me to classify someone's perio

NBDE I/II is extremely easy, why would you want to risk it on a new test? If it took a week to study for the NBDE, is the INBDE even easier where you don't have to study at all? Do you think that the new test will be even easier? Seems like a horrible gamble, and if time is a true testament, situations/curriculum/tests in the academic world tend to get worse each time. Maybe I'm just getting older, and perhaps the tests were supereasy back in the day (where there was objective scoring!), but from my experience, when things change in the academic world, it's typically for the worse.

NBDE I/II is extremely easy, why would you want to risk it on a new test? If it took a week to study for the NBDE, is the INBDE even easier where you don't have to study at all? Do you think that the new test will be even easier? Seems like a horrible gamble, and if time is a true testament, situations/curriculum/tests in the academic world tend to get worse each time. Maybe I'm just getting older, and perhaps the tests were supereasy back in the day (where there was objective scoring!), but from my experience, when things change in the academic world, it's typically for the worse.
For me I’d just rather take and pay for 1 test than 2 tests. I doubt it’ll be significantly more likely that I’ll fail it, and you can attempt it like 4 times through D4 if you do happen to fail, and supposedly it is easier.

For me I’d just rather take and pay for 1 test than 2 tests. I doubt it’ll be significantly more likely that I’ll fail it, and you can attempt it like 4 times through D4 if you do happen to fail, and supposedly it is easier.

I guess I'm just leery of anything "integrated" since I remember my school ended up integrating subjects together for the new class below us, supposedly for a more "holistic approach" or whatever bs they were spewing at the time, and ended up becoming a lot harder for them than just having individual partitioned subjects. How do I know? Some people ended up graduating later due to health reasons and they mentioned that it was a lot harder.

If the NBDE was/is pretty easy, I would think that it makes more sense to go with the devil you know (NBDE), than the devil you don't (INDBE). However, it's probably important to factor in the way that your school teaches to subjects too.

anyway to prep for it?
The ADA has some resources on their website and I think there may be a couple test prep books but i don't think there will be a good variety of quality prep material for INBDE for a few more years

I believe theres also the option of if you fail the NBDE I in the upcoming year you have to take INBDE anyways.

I'm c/o 2022 and was given the choice to complete either test. I'm still really interested in hearing what other people think on this subject as I have not decided yet, but am leaning towards INBDE.

Have you guys heard much about the DLOSCE? Theres not much info online - wondering if anyone has heard rumours etc through dental schools

I was told that for the INBDE, B&B dental is coming out with a study course material.

The ada also confirmed the new exam is 500 questions and it will take a day and half to complete. (pilot exam took only a day to complete). this leads me to believe there will be changes for the New INBDE as compared to the pilot exam.

Im in the class of 2022 and our school has given us the option of taking either. Most of my classmates are planning on taking the new boards since it supposedly tests less of the traditional biomedical sciences. I am still trying to decide which to take, but leaning towards the new one.

So how are people studying for this exam in the meantime?

What studying materials did you guys use?

What studying materials did you guys use?
If you had read the following posts, you'd have seen that lots of people that posted about taking it took a pilot exam that didn't count for them in any way, since they had already passed Part 1 and 2. So, they didn't really study for it since they didn't care about passing/not passing.

I'm in CO 2022 as well and I'd say about half my class took Part 1 last summer and the other half is taking integrated so :shrug: . I took Part 1 like <2mo ago because it's been around for so long and there are so many resources for it already out there, but I did spend a lot of time debating between the two. I think at UCLA, they're not letting students take INBDE until 3rd year (probably near the end of 3rd year tbh), so maybe in a year from now there'll be more resources to study with?

If you had read the following posts, you'd have seen that lots of people that posted about taking it took a pilot exam that didn't count for them in any way, since they had already passed Part 1 and 2. So, they didn't really study for it since they didn't care about passing/not passing.

I'm in CO 2022 as well and I'd say about half my class took Part 1 last summer and the other half is taking integrated so :shrug: . I took Part 1 like <2mo ago because it's been around for so long and there are so many resources for it already out there, but I did spend a lot of time debating between the two. I think at UCLA, they're not letting students take INBDE until 3rd year (probably near the end of 3rd year tbh), so maybe in a year from now there'll be more resources to study with?

I agree. There will be a good amount of resources for INBDE probably before x-mas. But I wonder with all of this that is going on if they are going to tweak some of the dates classes take boards.

Thank you! I got an email from the JCNDE and they said that they will not be offering studying material. So, I think we will have to check the "test preparation information" so that can help us as a guide in selecting our studying material.

Hi, I am trying to create a community to start help students study for the boards. Please join for practice questions, studying advice and the most updated study materials! Please invite your classmates :)