MD & DO Incoming MS1s Nervous Venting Thread *Share Your Greatest Fear*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I created this thread so that incoming Class of 2022 students, like myself, can vent their anxieties about starting med school. I know that a lot of students are scared of moving away from home to a new city, immersing themselves in one of the toughest professions, and in short, adjusting to this new environment.

So, the question is, what are you most afraid of in starting med school? Don't be afraid to vent, just share your thoughts.

I think it will be comforting to know others are going through similar feelings. MS2-4s could share how they felt, and offer advice on surviving this med school madness. Maybe this will help future students too!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'll share what troubles me so far:

1) Introverted personality vs Making friends: Dealing with Loneliness
As someone who just graduated from undergrad, I'm starting school in a couple of weeks, but I cant help this sinking feeling in my gut. Not gonna lie, I'm kind of a loner and it's been a while since I made really close friends since high school. In undergrad, I studied by myself most of the time, made a few classmate friends, and mostly kept to myself in order to focus on school. I'm a pretty introverted person, so I dont enjoy parties or huge gatherings due to how noisy & claustrophobic these events are. It's not that I dont like socializing, it's that it can be pretty tiring (I'm like the grandpa friend)... Ironically, who else feelings incredibly alone in a crowded room?

I am almost certain I'm going to sacrifice socializing for study time in med school, or just focus on studying entirely. However, I prefer dedicating my time to studying if it means I'm not going to fail out of med school. I hope I can make a few close friends in med school...

2) Failure, Below Avg in Class, HAVING TO TAKE ANOTHER STANDARDIZED TEST
My school is graded, not P/F. I absolutely dont want to be below average in my class. I'm not a gunner... I would be satisfied with just being avg to slightly above average. But, is that even possible in a class of super-smart-dedicated peers?

Another terrifying thing is Step 1. The MCAT was already terrifying, but I cant imagine how bad Step 1 is going to be. Last year, I made the mistake of studying < 2 months for the MCAT due to circumstances. Thankfully, I was blessed with a 51X score. I'm pretty sure I didnt see sunlight for those 2 months since I lived, ate, and breathed MCAT. I think I had 3 nervous breakdowns prior to test day, and 1 crying episode the day scores were released because I was too scared to check my score. All I can think of at this point is "oh god, Step 1."

Primary care is not what I'm aiming for (though that may change later on, who knows?) I'm into Radiology, Anesthesiology, or Internal Med so I know I need to do at least slightly above avg.

3) Helping Patients When Your Awkwardness is up to par w/ JD (Scrubs)
Clumsy. Awkward. Robotic. Words to describe myself.
I cant count the number of times I embarrassed myself haha. When performing clinical tasks on the Pt, I'm scared I will mess up whatever I'm doing.

I had to deal with difficult patients before, some of whom were so frustrating that I almost cried when I got home. I'm the type of person who tries to avoid conflict as much as possible. Because of my personality, I find it hard to get closer to people so I come off as "cold" even though I smile a lot. I find that it's easier to help Pts when you're not too emotionally invested in them.

I guess in my mind, the perfect doctor is someone who is warm & shows empathy while meticulously curing the person (someone who rarely makes mistakes). It's hard for me to force myself in that role/image.

Reactions: 6 users
1. Do whatever you want to do. Just because you are in med school doesn’t mean you have to party and be a social butterfly. You’ll probably find some people who have some common interests and then you can just chill with them if you want.
2. Study.
3. This gets better with time but one thing you can try is basically acting. I actually have a “doctor” personality that is not my regular personality. It’s a fake. I show that face to patients and they think I am the most caring, compassionate, friendly doctor. When you act, it displaces some of the pressure and makes it into a sort of game. Try it.

Members don't see this ad :)

As someone who just graduated from undergrad, I'm starting school in a couple of weeks, but I cant help this sinking feeling in my gut. Not gonna lie, I'm kind of a loner and it's been a while since I made really close friends since high school. In undergrad, I studied by myself most of the time, made a few classmate friends, and mostly kept to myself in order to focus on school. I'm a pretty introverted person, so I dont enjoy parties or huge gatherings due to how noisy & claustrophobic these events are. It's not that I dont like socializing, it's that it can be pretty tiring (I'm like the grandpa friend)... Ironically, who else feelings incredibly alone in a crowded room?

I am almost certain I'm going to sacrifice socializing for study time in med school, or just focus on studying entirely. However, I prefer dedicating my time to studying if it means I'm not going to fail out of med school. I hope I can make a few close friends in med school...

My school is graded, not P/F. I absolutely dont want to be below average in my class. I'm not a gunner... I would be satisfied with just being avg to slightly above average. But, is that even possible in a class of super-smart-dedicated peers?

Another terrifying thing is Step 1. The MCAT was already terrifying, but I cant imagine how bad Step 1 is going to be. Last year, I made the mistake of studying < 2 months for the MCAT due to circumstances. Thankfully, I was blessed with a 51X score. I'm pretty sure I didnt see sunlight for those 2 months since I lived, ate, and breathed MCAT. I think I had 3 nervous breakdowns prior to test day, and 1 crying episode the day scores were released because I was too scared to check my score. All I can think of at this point is "oh god, Step 1."

Primary care is not what I'm aiming for (though that may change later on, who knows?) I'm into Radiology, Anesthesiology, or Internal Med so I know I need to do at least slightly above avg.

I cant count the number of times I embarrassed myself haha. When performing clinical tasks on the Pt, I'm scared I will mess up whatever I'm doing.

I had to deal with difficult patients before, some of whom were so frustrating that I almost cried when I got home. I'm the type of person who tries to avoid conflict as much as possible. Because of my personality, I find it hard to get closer to people so I come off as "cold" even though I smile a lot. I find that it's easier to help Pts when you're not too emotionally invested in them.

I guess in my mind, the perfect doctor is someone who is warm & shows empathy while meticulously curing the person (someone who rarely makes mistakes). It's hard for me to force myself in that role/image.

Totally agree with the "doctor personality" thing above... I also do that. Outside of medicine, I am pretty immature and like to do ridiculous things with my friends that patients probably would not approve of, but when I'm in the hospital, I am consciously aware that I need to be mature and act like a doctor, so that is what I do... it usually does not come naturally at first and that is probably the least of your worries as an MS1. wrt friends, many other people are going to be in your boat. You need to challenge your comfort zone and make friends week one. Everyone will be shy and afraid to be the instigator... it is your job to instigate hangouts.. these people do not know that you are socially awkward, and they don't need to know. Act social, talk to people, make plans, it will get you far if you are interested in making friends. wrt step, it is stressful, but everyone has to deal with it, 99% of people pass it without issues, and life goes on. Anesthesia and internal medicine are not insanely competitive and if you put in the work and are of at least average intelligence, you will be more than okay matching into those fields. just don't worry, enjoy the ride and take it day by day -- you were good enough to get into med school and they would not have accepted you if you could not handle it, try to relax and not stress

I think I've forgotten almost every piece of basic science I learned over the past few years. It's been over a year since I took the MCAT now, and I don't think I could name a single amino acid other than alanine or tell you with confidence any of the ochem nomenclature rules. Hell, I'm not even sure I remember how to do dimensional analysis!

Reactions: 8 users
Greatest fear is FOMO from what people in their 20s normally do (going trips, dating, partying). I’m deleting my social media accounts because I don’t want to constantly be reminded of what I’m missing out on when I see my friends posting pictures of what they’re up to.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users

Med school is ultra cliquey so this may not bode well for you. Also, graded classes will suck. Hopefully your lectures aren't mandatory.

Clinical stuff will be hard if you're awkward.

On a positive note, most everyone passes and you'll probably be able to match rads, gas, or medicine as long as you don't do anything crazy.

Reactions: 1 user
Greatest fear is FOMO from what people in their 20s normally do (going trips, dating, partying). I’m deleting my social media accounts because I don’t want to constantly be reminded of what I’m missing out on when I see my friends posting pictures of what they’re up to.

I’m in the same boat. I have an international friend who traveled to Korea (18 months), Japan, and Europe all within 3 yrs. Idk how she funds her travels, but I cant help feeling left out at times.

I’m keeping FB just b/c my class posts a lot of important info. I don’t have instagram, twitter, etc though. If it helps, I think it’s important to remind yourself that everyone lives diff lives and social media doesn’t tell the whole picture. We like sharing the best of ourselves, but who knows what goes on behind the camera?

Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate the sincerity in the responses. I’ve calmed down a bit :shy:

I just remembered reading that med students should take it one day at a time. If you are MS1, focus on getting through the basics. MS2–>STEP. MS3->rotations. MS4->match!

I think I’ll try enjoying the little things in life more. Hopefully it’ll get me through the monotony of some days/hell week of others.

+pity+

Reactions: 2 users
I think I've forgotten almost every piece of basic science I learned over the past few years. It's been over a year since I took the MCAT now, and I don't think I could name a single amino acid other than alanine or tell you with confidence any of the ochem nomenclature rules. Hell, I'm not even sure I remember how to do dimensional analysis!

Sounds like you're well on your way to becoming a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users

I absolutely 100% would not do that. You probably have a class page where you can vent and share resources. Also you're already going to feel like you're in this bubble where nothing else exists outside of school, you don't want to consciously isolate yourself from everyone else in your life. In fact in my class there are actually people who didn't have social media accounts before who reactivated/ made their first one because they realized it's easy to get isolated in medical school.

Reactions: 4 users

I still have urges to drop out based on this singular reason. But, that would really suck. I want to be a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still have urges to drop out based on this singular reason. But, that would really suck. I want to be a physician.

I spent my 20's running around doing all those things. Now I won't be an attending until I'm 40 probably. It goes both ways.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 11 users
I'm afraid of:

-Dealing with my major depressive disorder/anxiety while in school. I'm on antidepressants and am going to try to go to therapy at least once every two weeks, but I'm still nervous about handling it all

-Dealing with death, especially with having to dissect cadavers. Death is one of my biggest fears, and thinking about it too much has caused me to have panic attacks on multiple occasions. I feel like I'm going to faint the first day of anatomy lab lol

-Not being able to remember all of the information I need to do well on assessments

-My relationship falling apart because of the time I'll need to put into school (kind of an irrational fear, I've been with my bf since high school and he's known I've wanted to be a doctor from the start and is 100% supportive)

I spent my 20's running around doing all those things. Now I won't be an attending until I'm 40 probably. It goes both ways.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The grass is always greener, at least in my mind.

My biggest fear is failing to make any friends, and having to spend the next four years alone as my peers study and hangout with each other. I struggled to have a fulfilling social life in college, and am worried that med school won't be any better.

Reactions: 5 users
My biggest fear is having to spit game to smart girls instead of college party girls.

Reactions: 13 users
I'm afraid of:

-Dealing with my major depressive disorder/anxiety while in school. I'm on antidepressants and am going to try to go to therapy at least once every two weeks, but I'm still nervous about handling it all

-Dealing with death, especially with having to dissect cadavers. Death is one of my biggest fears, and thinking about it too much has caused me to have panic attacks on multiple occasions. I feel like I'm going to faint the first day of anatomy lab lol

-Not being able to remember all of the information I need to do well on assessments

-My relationship falling apart because of the time I'll need to put into school (kind of an irrational fear, I've been with my bf since high school and he's known I've wanted to be a doctor from the start and is 100% supportive)

We’re literally the same person. Wow, my exact fear list!

I've always been independent and lived quasi on my own. Now I've moved halfway across the country and realized that there is a huge difference living alone but being 2 hours from those super close friends and family and now being 13 hours with no cheap flights. Making friends during orientation, you can feel the difference from undergrad. It seems that people want friends, but understandably their first priority is kicking ass in school. Just a huge mental shift I am having trouble with. I feel more alone than I ever have in my whole life. I'm scared. I know I can do this and things will change and get better and that this is part of life. But its totally new from me coming to med school straight from undergrad. I am alone.

M3 here

-98% of what you learned in undergrad is useless, don't sweat learning it. Our school blew through an entire year of biochem in the first week lol
-Step and the MCAT are two different beasts. Step is like 80% pure fact based, I would rather take step 10x over than take the MCAT one more time. School prepares you better than you think for step, so don't go dropping everything for Boards and Beyond only to fail your first exam like several of our underclassmen did. Spend the first block studying class stuff and see what time committment/ resources help get you to the grades that you want
-plenty of time for friends/fun during the first two years. You need to work during your working time so you can enjoy your free time.
-Go to class for the first week see if you like it. would say our class was 80/20 skip/going to class
-don't buy any new tech or books right now: i bought some toys and books i basically never used and wasted $$$ on. Wait a little while to see if you go to class before you buy a new laptop/etc
-bose qc35 best investment in medical school/2nd best = good monitor (28+ inches widescreen)
-The first week of classes I was so f'ing tired i fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow every night. Don't worry, you find your groove
-Don't sweat your first block, learn how you like to study. Take some time to explore anki/zanki but don't go gunning and alienate your peers. Zanki is the key to a lot of success on reddit so check it out and see if the time commitment aligns with your goals
-help the people in your class and be friendly: i see a majority of my classmates each week in some variety so it's always nice to have someone who has your back
-dont let yourself get out of shape (alternatively: try to get ripped) - you never get time like you do in m1/m2 (if you don't go to class) so use it. Plenty of my classmates lost weight or got a bit more buff
-very very importantly: don't tell people you want to go into derm/plastics/ortho if that's what you think you want. People will make fun of you for it and it paints a HUGE target on your back. One girl talks about going into plastics every day and it feels like we're all just waiting to see her stumble and make fun of her behind her back. Kind of harsh, but don't be that person even if your life's passion is botox or acne. Just tell people you wanna do medicine or you're undecided
-learning from other students is a risk: students are just as clueless in the anatomy lab as you. While good intentioned, I have seen several people learn the wrong things because a classmate told them so. Help each other and look up everything you're unsure of from a trusted source (wiki)

MS3 here

Work out. If you don’t have a consistent schedule, then start a schedule now so that you can transition into school easily.

Prioritize one health thing in your life. Yoga, running, getting yolked, bball, frisbee... Doesn’t matter. Your body health = your mental health when the burners are on and the heat starts picking up. You are going to depend on your body when you are cranking, cranking, cranking through some of those days. Treat your body right, and start now.

Terrified of failing tests. I see so many conflicting opinions on how to study that I’m not even sure where to start and I worry that I’ll either chose the wrong method or be so caught in all the different options and materials that I won’t properly study

Hell, I'm not even sure I remember how to do dimensional analysis!
You'd be surprised how easy dimensional analysis is. When you first learn it, it seams impossibly complicated. For some reason when you aren't being forced to learn it under the magnifying glass of your chemistry professor, you realize that not only is it ridiculously simple, but you've been doing it since middle school. You'll probably pick it back up without issue!

Step and the MCAT are two different beasts. Step is like 80% pure fact based, I would rather take step 10x over than take the MCAT one more time. School prepares you better than you think for step, so don't go dropping everything for Boards and Beyond only to fail your first exam like several of our underclassmen did. Spend the first block studying class stuff and see what time committment/ resources help get you to the grades that you want
Thank you for saying this! My biggest fear is Step. Your comments give me hope!

I'm only into my second week of med school and my relationship with my boyfriend has ended and someone who I have been friends with for 14 years told me last night that he no longer wants to be friends with me. I have been through waaaaaay worse **** in life, but I'm sad that this happened during what should be the start of some of the happiest years of my life.

I'm still very much grateful to be in med school. We'll all get through this together. :)

Reactions: 8 users
Terrified of failing tests. I see so many conflicting opinions on how to study that I’m not even sure where to start and I worry that I’ll either chose the wrong method or be so caught in all the different options and materials that I won’t properly study

Same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MS3 here

Work out. If you don’t have a consistent schedule, then start a schedule now so that you can transition into school easily.

Prioritize one health thing in your life. Yoga, running, getting yolked, bball, frisbee... Doesn’t matter. Your body health = your mental health when the burners are on and the heat starts picking up. You are going to depend on your body when you are cranking, cranking, cranking through some of those days. Treat your body right, and start now.

I lost 20lbs this summer but I dont have a consistent gym schedule yet haha. 20 more to go for that ideal summer bod (though it’ll be fall by the time I achieve it XD).
I guess I’ll pick up indoor activities since my school is located in a sketchy city. I heard jogging around is too dangerous for girls unless we run in a group. Maybe I’ll learn some martial arts? Seems like a great way to relieve stress, burn cal, & learn self defense.

I'm only into my second week of med school and my relationship with my boyfriend has ended and someone who I have been friends with for 14 years told me last night that he no longer wants to be friends with me. I have been through waaaaaay worse **** in life, but I'm sad that this happened during what should be the start of some of the happiest years of my life.

I'm still very much grateful to be in med school. We'll all get through this together. :)
I’m so sorry you have to go through all that, and at the start of a very stressful time. Just remember that YOU are in control of your happiness! You got this!

I think I'm most scared about chasing the wrong specialty or finding one that seems cool when I'm in my mid 20s, but not so much when I'm older. That and also how trying this is going to be for my SO and I.

I absolutely 100% would not do that. You probably have a class page where you can vent and share resources. Also you're already going to feel like you're in this bubble where nothing else exists outside of school, you don't want to consciously isolate yourself from everyone else in your life. In fact in my class there are actually people who didn't have social media accounts before who reactivated/ made their first one because they realized it's easy to get isolated in medical school.

Hmmm interesting perspective

2. Med school girls like game just as much as non med school girls. Probably more because most fell straight off the ugly tree and are happy for the attention.

Wait what? My class is filled with gorgeous people, both men and women alike. I feel like one of the criterion for acceptance is looking at least average. Even at interviews, people were mostly good looking. The girls in my class are so pretty that I’m worried I wont find a bf in med school LOL.

That was me in undergrad, minus the bf part. (My best friend since elementary school decided to find a new cliche in college, pretty much ditched me by the 2nd week even though we were friends for ~10 yrs). I’m sure we can find better friends in med school.

I heard a lot of relationships end before med school. Don’t worry, you may meet a perfect someone in the future! Even though this may not be your happiest week, I hope you find happiness in the coming days. We’re still young; one week may be the worst, but the next could make you feel so thankful for being alive to cherish that moment. So, take it one day at a time and march forward with your head held high. :)

Wait what? My class is filled with gorgeous people, both men and women alike. I feel like one of the criterion for acceptance is looking at least average. Even at interviews, people were mostly good looking. The girls in my class are so pretty that I’m worried I wont find a bf in med school LOL.
Same here! Everyone in my class is gorgeous!

I'm so sorry :(

I have a rant along the lines of making friends. I have been going to social events that my school is hosting prior to us starting and it feels like I am not clicking with the members of my class. I have made a “friend” group, but I am more of an afterthought when they chill outside of our social events. It makes me worried I will not make friends in my class.

Where do you go and can I transfer. There is not a single woman in my class I would label "hot"...I'm on undergrads and randos at bars.

In my class, about 60% are straight up ugly, at least half repulsive.. 10% are decent face w/ obesity, 10% with significant overweight. Last 15 and 5 are decent and attractive. Most attractive is about 85th percentile for women in their early 20s. The one I would take first is chubby with a nice face with proportions suggesting very high levels of estrogen.
You sound like a real catch.

Reactions: 15 users
I have a rant along the lines of making friends. I have been going to social events that my school is hosting prior to us starting and it feels like I am not clicking with the members of my class. I have made a “friend” group, but I am more of an afterthought when they chill outside of our social events. It makes me worried I will not make friends in my class.
M2 here.

Do you think it's because y'all just don't have the same interests or humor? It can definitely be tough to find people you really vibe with pretty comfortably, especially in bigger group settings at least for me. If it makes you feel any better, the people I hung out with around orientation and those beginning of the year social gatherings are much different than the people I hang out with a year later. Don't sweat it too much. My worst fear coming into med school was definitely making friends. I remember getting to school for the first day of orientation and everyone was already in cliques and stuff. I just sat and ate my blueberry muffin by myself. Eventually, we got grouped into our clinic groups and other different things and that's when I really found the people I clicked with. Just be patient, don't get discouraged, and keep putting yourself out there.

In my class, about 60% are straight up ugly, at least half repulsive.. 10% are decent face w/ obesity, 10% with significant overweight. Last 15 and 5 are decent and attractive. Most attractive is about 85th percentile for women in their early 20s. The one I would take first is chubby with a nice face with proportions suggesting very high levels of estrogen.
Probably the weirdest post I have read on SDN

Reactions: 15 users
M2 here.

Do you think it's because y'all just don't have the same interests or humor? It can definitely be tough to find people you really vibe with pretty comfortably, especially in bigger group settings at least for me. If it makes you feel any better, the people I hung out with around orientation and those beginning of the year social gatherings are much different than the people I hang out with a year later. Don't sweat it too much. My worst fear coming into med school was definitely making friends. I remember getting to school for the first day of orientation and everyone was already in cliques and stuff. I just sat and ate my blueberry muffin by myself. Eventually, we got grouped into our clinic groups and other different things and that's when I really found the people I clicked with. Just be patient, don't get discouraged, and keep putting yourself out there.
This is definitely something that I needed to read, thanks for passing on your wisdom. After reading your post, I realized that this group and I probably do not have the same interests and are therefore not gelling 100%. It's a good thing that my class has over 150 people. I am bound to find someone who I will gel with.

I’m terrified my relationship with my boyfriend of 3 years won’t last through med school. We’ve been dating throughout undergrad but now everything needs to be scheduled in advance. I know a lot of relationships end when med school so now that’s all I think about since classes start soon :(

I’m terrified my relationship with my boyfriend of 3 years won’t last through med school. We’ve been dating throughout undergrad but now everything needs to be scheduled in advance. I know a lot of relationships end when med school so now that’s all I think about since classes start soon :(
I was hear to post the exact same thing. My girlfriend and I have been dating 2.5 years and will be starting a LDR. She will be starting law school and I'm afraid we will be too busy to enjoy time together. We are about to sit down and plan dates we can meet up etc but I'm worried the day to day of long distance and stressful school will drive us apart.

I was hear to post the exact same thing. My girlfriend and I have been dating 2.5 years and will be starting a LDR. She will be starting law school and I'm afraid we will be too busy to enjoy time together. We are about to sit down and plan dates we can meet up etc but I'm worried the day to day of long distance and stressful school will drive us apart.
Same

Just keeping my balance between enjoying my life outside of school and doing good in my classes. Don’t really care about being top of the class but want to pass comfortably, be happy and have a life outside of medicine.

Guys i just finished my 2nd day of classes. It's pretty bad lol. I'm loving the material but damn there is a lot and with the first exam on monday im shaking pretty hard in my boots.