MPH Insights appreciated!! MSPH at JHU vs. MPH at Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ideu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an female international student who went to an undergrad in Boston area.

ADs:

• MSPH Track in Occupational and Environmental Hygiene at JHU with 75% tutition off for second year
  • MPH at EHS department in Columbia
  • Occupational - Epidemiology program at UMich
  • MSPH in EHS - EPI joint program at Emory
  • MPH at Boston University with $15k
But I am mainly deciding between JHU and Columbia. I love Boston and don't want to go too far away from it. Yes, I regret that I didn't apply Harvard. Not that I can definitely get in... but I didn't try. I want to have a career here in Boston after grad school. However, BU doesn't seem to have as good reputation/education as either JHU or Columbia.

I am not thinking about PhD right now, but maybe later. My goal is to find a job, preferably a consulting position such as health risk assessment in either private or non-profit organization after graduation with decent salary (at least $50k/yr?) to support my family in the future (very important to me). So career service and network of a school is important to me.

The JHU program length is 16 months (seems that not many people know/apply to this program). I did work on occupational health during my undergrad. That's why I applied to this program. It provides training toward Certified Industrial Hygienist. It seems more specific in terms of career path. Anyone has any insights of this program?

I also want to know about the freedom to switch concentration. Say, from EHS to biostats... How are these programs at Columbia and JHU different in this?

Any help is welcomed and appreciated. Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

BU is a very well ranked school of public health and many people on this forum prefer BU over Columbia. If you want to stay in Boston, it's a no-brainer, go to BU.

This helped me put alot of things in perspective... Thanks!