This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaltySprings

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed to report institutional action on my first AMCAS application. The instances were in my freshman and sophomore years of college and did not result in probation of any sort. The first, I was involved with a "dorm party" and written up. The second, I received a Minor in Possession of Alcohol from campus police while biking home alone.

On my last application I failed to report these things. They did not appear on my transcript and I did not think I received "institutional action" because I could not find them anywhere on my student account. This year I called the school to clarify and both instances are on my record in "legacy data". I have been out of school since 2013 and these happened about 8 years ago.

I will be reporting each of these this year, however, I am wondering how severe this discrepancy between apps will be. As in, how bad does not reporting the first time and then adding institutional action the second time look? Does anyone have any insight into this? @Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn I would truly appreciate any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I failed to report institutional action on my first AMCAS application. The instances were in my freshman and sophomore years of college and did not result in probation of any sort. The first, I was involved with a "dorm party" and written up. The second, I received a Minor in Possession of Alcohol from campus police while biking home alone.

On my last application I failed to report these things. They did not appear on my transcript and I did not think I received "institutional action" because I could not find them anywhere on my student account. This year I called the school to clarify and both instances are on my record in "legacy data". I have been out of school since 2013 and these happened about 8 years ago.

I will be reporting each of these this year, however, I am wondering how severe this discrepancy between apps will be. As in, how bad does not reporting the first time and then adding institutional action the second time look? Does anyone have any insight into this? @Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn I would truly appreciate any feedback.
Hard to tell, honestly. It honestly will make for discussion int he Adcom meetings. Getting the 2nd IA a year after the first may be an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard to tell, honestly. It honestly will make for discussion int he Adcom meetings. Getting the 2nd IA a year after the first may be an issue.
Do you think the fact that I mistakenly omitted it the first time around and then added the second time will matter?

Do you think the fact that I mistakenly omitted it the first time around and then added the second time will matter?
He literally just said that he doesn’t know and that it will most likely be brought up during the interview

Keep calm and be honest. There is no other course of action, and therefore nothing legitimate to worry about. I would be surprised if anyone caught the discrepancy between applications, and if someone does then just explain the error the same way you did here.

Reactions: 1 users
As I wrote, hard to tell.

someone in SDN once said they failed to report an IA, the college interviewed them, pulled up their IA, and rejected them. The next year, the student reported the IA, and was accepted to the same school.

Looking at this anecdotal evidence, it seems very doable. Plus the OP has boring IA's that are 8 years old, that's a long time ago.