This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellekay324

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm an American medical student hopefully starting residency in internal medicine in July. I'm somewhat familiar with the process for international medical grads, but know nothing about dental. My fiancé graduated from dental school in Egypt and completed a dual orthodontics residency / craniofacial medicine masters program in Taiwan. He has 1 published research paper. He has been a practicing orthodontist in Jordan for several years now. He owns his own clinic and also works at a government clinic on the side and owns a business selling dental supplies and volunteers as an orthodontist at refugee camps throughout Jordan. He has attended several orthodontic conferences around the world. For him to come to the US and practice as an orthodontist, what steps does he need to take? How hard is it to get into an orthodontics residency program in the US as a foreign trained dentist?

So far, my understanding is that he has to take NBDE part 1 and 2, the TOEFL, write a statement of purpose, get letters of rec, get his transcripts from his schools... what else needs to be done? ANY help would be so appreciated because we're really lost. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm an American medical student hopefully starting residency in internal medicine in July. I'm somewhat familiar with the process for international medical grads, but know nothing about dental. My fiancé graduated from dental school in Egypt and completed a dual orthodontics residency / craniofacial medicine masters program in Taiwan. He has 1 published research paper. He has been a practicing orthodontist in Jordan for several years now. He owns his own clinic and also works at a government clinic on the side and owns a business selling dental supplies and volunteers as an orthodontist at refugee camps throughout Jordan. He has attended several orthodontic conferences around the world. For him to come to the US and practice as an orthodontist, what steps does he need to take? How hard is it to get into an orthodontics residency program in the US as a foreign trained dentist?

So far, my understanding is that he has to take NBDE part 1 and 2, the TOEFL, write a statement of purpose, get letters of rec, get his transcripts from his schools... what else needs to be done? ANY help would be so appreciated because we're really lost. Thank you!
In general, he can apply to a residency and practice after it in a limited number of states. Not sure about orthodontics in particular.
If he wants to be rally independent he can go through the IDP and practice in any state as a GP, but do ortho. If he is adamant on being an orthodontist, then he can apply to the ortho residency after IDP. All of those are very competitive

Hi, Unfortunately for orthodontists, it is very hard to get accepted into residency program with out DDS done in USA. Because orthodontics is very competitive residency program even for local DDS students. Your Fiance' is very qualified but it is sad that he has to undergo lot of training in USA in order to become licensed practitioner. There are other options too.
Since he has a didactic degree of masters, he can apply for Job as a faculty in dental school with out doing additional training. He might get a job in oral biology department. Secondly, some schools have one year fellowship, internship and preceptor ship programs that not only help to get accepted at residency program at the same school but also sometimes help to get accepted as a faculty somewhere in dental school. For example, At university of Florida School of dentistry, I know residents who are qualified orthodontists, they did two year fellowship in ortho in dental school and then they got accepted as a resident in two year ortho program. But you need to understand that, even with four years of ortho training, they can practice as orthodontists in few states like, Virginia, Texas, and Ohio.
Traditional route is to go for IDP DDS and get into 300 thousand debt.
There are un traditional routes as well For example, just do AEGD two year program and get a license for Texas. only few states allow to work with AEGD
He can always go for Didactic degrees For example, masters in operative dentistry at IOWA, UF UCLA Rutgers, masters in oral biology or masters in orofacial pain. These degrees will definitely help him to get accepted as a faculty without the heavy debt of IDP because he is already way too qualified to do two year dds program

Tell him to present TOEFL, GRE and NBDE part 1 and then apply to a lot a orthodontics programs. I know that for internationals is difficult but not impossible. He can do it.