International Practice Rights?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Little Foot

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pod student here. I understand that DPM is an American degree with no guarantee of practice rights abroad (heck, there's no guarantee of practice rights state-to-state), but I would be very interested in working in Southern Europe seasonally if not full time. Does anyone have experience with practicing in Europe or know someone who does, who wouldn't mind an email exchange?

The following summarizes my "research" (ie. internet searches and speaking with locals not involved in healthcare).

My main goal would be to work in Italy, but that seems tricky. The classic translation, "podologo", is basically a glorified pedicurist. The newer term "podoiatrista" is gaining some momentum, and it corresponds more with our concept of a podiatrist. I have heard that a DPM can practice in Italy if he is working directly under an ortho guy who will sign for him.

Spain seems to be much better in terms of recognition. They have real podiatry courses so might be more likely to be friendly to a US DPM, but I am not familiar with the country's health system.

I could be open to other countries if it made more business/legal sense. I would love to hear from American DPMs who have experience with this, or from any local European professionals who could share their knowledge. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 user