Interviewing for the "Experience?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alienman52

Straight from the Mothership
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been fortunate enough this cycle to have a DO acceptance in hand. Needless to say I am elated, however, I'm having difficulty deciding if I should attend two of my other interviews.

I have an acceptance at ACOM, and interviews at LUCOM and BCOM.

IMHO, I think LUCOM is a pretty good school, but wouldn't attend over ACOM. I will not be attending the BCOM interview as the location is very far from where I live, and would prefer to travel to Alabama. (Although BCOM is a fantastic school.)

My question is, although I know I won't attend LUCOM over ACOM, should I still interview there just to gain professional interview experience? I know it may sound silly but I'm conflicted because maybe I'll end up liking the school a lot. Any advice would be appreciated. @Goro any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you know absolutely sure that you won't end up choosing LUCOM over ACOM, then I would recommend cancelling the interview and give someone else who may have no other interviews a chance. If you believe it is possible for LUCOM to convince you to go to their school on interview day, then go to the interview.

Reactions: 4 users
If you know absolutely sure that you won't end up choosing LUCOM over ACOM, then I would recommend cancelling the interview and give someone else who may have no other interviews a chance. If you believe it is possible for LUCOM to convince you to go to their school on interview day, then go to the interview.

This is true. It will most likely be a great experience-gain for you to interview there, but it could potentially be someone else's career. Summergirl summed it up very well, I think!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I wouldn't say absolutely sure, but im definitely leaning towards ACOM.

First, let me just say that you should be prepared to hear why LUCOM is NOT a good choice. I am not taking sides on that issue, just stating a fact. If I were in your shoes, under the exact same circumstances, I would not interview at LUCOM. That's my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if you live near LUCOM or any thing but I probably wouldn't go to save some money. You have an acceptance so I'm sure you interview just fine!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

First, let me just say that you should be prepared to hear why LUCOM is NOT a good choice. I am not taking sides on that issue, just stating a fact. If I were in your shoes, under the exact same circumstances, I would not interview at LUCOM. That's my opinion.

I just hear it's not a good school because of the overly literal Catholic philosophy. I dont really understand what else is so bad about the school haha

Hi all,

I have been fortunate enough this cycle to have a DO acceptance in hand. Needless to say I am elated, however, I'm having difficulty deciding if I should attend two of my other interviews.

IMHO, I think LUCOM is a pretty good school, but wouldn't attend over ACOM. I will not be attending the BCOM interview as the location is very far from where I live, and would prefer to travel to Alabama. (Although BCOM is a fantastic school.)

My question is, although I know I won't attend LUCOM over ACOM, should I still interview there just to gain professional interview experience? I know it may sound silly but I'm conflicted because maybe I'll end up liking the school a lot. Any advice would be appreciated. @Goro any thoughts?
I actually have an interview at LECOM but I absolutely loved ACOM! And doing research, ACOM really leans towards my learning style so I'm not even going to attend the LECOM interview. Mainly because of the cost, how far it is, and just the overall school style.

So If you are really leaning toward that school, then I say don't waste the time going to LUCOM. I mean look at their curriculum, location, type of learning(PBL,TBL,etc) and see if you would want to go there.

If you already decided that you won't choose it because of it's location or for any reason(Lucom). There really isn't any point to waste all the money and time just for "experience". At least in my opinion.

Last edited:
I just hear it's not a good school because of the overly literal Catholic philosophy. I dont really understand what else is so bad about the school haha

I would do some research for both schools.

It would be a waste of time and money.
Hi all,

Just to clarify, LUCOM is NOT a Catholic university. They are another branch of Christianity. Read their list of expectations of students (no living with a partner, etc) and see if you can fit within their narrow + judgemntal framework!

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the majority, I would cancel the interview unless you are teetering between schools and need to see the campus first-hand to help you with a decision.

Also congrats on your success this cycle! I know you were worried a couple months ago.

Side Note: Very excited for my ACOM interview. How soon after did they give you a decision?

I agree with the majority, I would cancel the interview unless you are teetering between schools and need to see the campus first-hand to help you with a decision.

Also congrats on your success this cycle! I know you were worried a couple months ago.

Side Note: Very excited for my ACOM interview. How soon after did they give you a decision?
My decision was 10 days later!

Members don't see this ad :)

6 days m8. Super duper quick. Wasn't expecting their speed with app's and responses!

6 days m8. Super duper quick. Wasn't expecting their speed with app's and responses!

As others have said, if you feel like ACOM is your top choice--take the lump sum and run! But if you feel like you could be persuaded to join BCOM or LUCOM-- then by all means attend!! Or if you are awaiting on a few more other schools--save the travel money until/if you receive an II from a school you've considered in the running.

P.S Congrats Alienman!! I was rooting for you!

As others have said, if you feel like ACOM is your top choice--take the lump sum and run! But if you feel like you could be persuaded to join BCOM or LUCOM-- then by all means attend!! Or if you are awaiting on a few more other schools--save the travel money until/if you receive an II from a school you've considered in the running.

P.S Congrats Alienman!! I was rooting for you!

Great advice Lut (and all that replied). And thanks for the rooting haha I was in utter disbelief when I found out! Best of luck to you this cycle; I'll be dumbfounded if you don't get an acceptance with your stats!!

Great advice Lut (and all that replied). And thanks for the rooting haha I was in utter disbelief when I found out! Best of luck to you this cycle; I'll be dumbfounded if you don't get an acceptance with your stats!!

Thanks man!! I got 5 interviews lined up right now so i'm hoping I can get an acceptance somewhere haha! You made it man, you're gonna be doctor!! I can only imagine how cloud nine feels right now-- enjoy this moment!!

Thanks man!! I got 5 interviews lined up right now so i'm hoping I can get an acceptance somewhere haha! You made it man, you're gonna be doctor!! I can only imagine how cloud nine feels right now-- enjoy this moment!!

You'll be there soon bro....
As the saying goes:
"Interviews three, a doctor you'll be!!!"

I've always heard that until I recently got into SDN-- now i've seen some pretty funny modifications of that saying.
"Interview four, you're in the door"
"Interviews five, you're bound to thrive"
"Interviews nine, you're borderline"
and my favorite..
"Interviews ten, try again"

I've always heard that until I recently got into SDN-- now i've seen some pretty funny modifications of that saying.
"Interview four, you're in the door"
"Interviews five, you're bound to thrive"
"Interviews nine, you're borderline"
and my favorite..
"Interviews ten, try again"

HAHAHA that last one is great nah man there's a reason why you have five interviews lined up so early...

All these IIs and its still so early in the cycle. Exciting times!

LUCOM issues aside, that's a ridiculously expensive way to "get professional interview experience," especially if you're sitting on an acceptance you're happy with. Don't do it.