Invites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stanford has started sending out invites/rejections if you read back further in the thread...but I think they're still in the process...so don't worry yet!!!

It looks like those were mostly rejections, so, I'll go with "no news is good news" on that one. Thanks for the kind words, though!

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting you heard from MGH as this is taken from the email that I, and many others, received from MGH/McLean upon receipt of our applications: "As you know, our deadline for receiving all materials is November 1st. We will review applications in November, and we will send invitations via email in rounds for several weeks."

Yes, I was somewhat surpised, given that I also received said email. However, they went ahead and offered me the following dates:

Nov. 28 & 29
Dec. 5 & 6
Dec. 12 & 13
Jan. 9 & 10

This seems like very few dates. Also, the interviews are 2 days long. It looks like they perceive themselves as a high priority. I'm not surprised - I've heard this program is quite fond of itself. I would be curious to hear about anyone else's experience with this program.

Offers from (in somewhat geographic order):

U. Washington
UCSF
Northwestern
Cambridge
Cornell
NYU
Hopkins
U. Maryland
Duke
UNC

Still waiting on the big boys:
MGH
Harvard Longwood
Columbia
UPenn
Pitt

And rejected by:
Stanford

Have since received invites from

UPenn
Pitt
Columbia (yesterday)
MGH/McLean (yesterday)

Got the same MGH invite e-mail as strangeglove

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, congratulations on your invite list. It is quite impressive. What I don't understand are the rejections from Stanford (I say rejectionS because I've seen many folks on here with very impresive invite lists rejected outright from Stanford). I didn't apply to Stanford because I limited myself to the northeast, but did they say why they rejected you? And I still haven't heard from a few select big name programs and I very well may not, but I was under the impression that if you didn't hear about an interview than you were in essence, rejected. I did not know there were actual formal rejection notifications. I suppose this varies from program to program. Regardless, congratulations and best of luck!!

First of all, congratulations on your invite list. It is quite impressive. What I don't understand are the rejections from Stanford (I say rejectionS because I've seen many folks on here with very impresive invite lists rejected outright from Stanford). I didn't apply to Stanford because I limited myself to the northeast, but did they say why they rejected you? And I still haven't heard from a few select big name programs and I very well may not, but I was under the impression that if you didn't hear about an interview than you were in essence, rejected. I did not know there were actual formal rejection notifications. I suppose this varies from program to program. Regardless, congratulations and best of luck!!

Stanford has fewer spots than most major academic programs. They also have far fewer faculty (so they may have to be stingy with their time).

yeah, i was a bit confused as well. one day i get an interview from Hopkins, followed by a rejection from Stanford the next day. I was definitely left scratching my head. And no, the rejection gives no reason...just some nonsense about "despite the numerous strengths in your application," they will not be offering you an interview, or something like that. also, i'd be curious to hear whether other programs send out rejections, or you are just assumed to have been rejected if you don't hear back from them. i'm also still waiting to hear back from some programs.

Add:
U Minnesota
U South Carolina
MUSC
Stanford (they only had 2 dates left, one next week, the other in mid-November)...I received their email Friday (yesterday)
U Mass

Brown
UC-Davis
UCSD
Maine Medical Center
Med College Georgia
U North Carolina
U New Mexico
Mayo Clinic
Cincinnati
U Washington-Seattle and Spokane

yeah, i was a bit confused as well. one day i get an interview from Hopkins, followed by a rejection from Stanford the next day. I was definitely left scratching my head. And no, the rejection gives no reason...just some nonsense about "despite the numerous strengths in your application," they will not be offering you an interview, or something like that. also, i'd be curious to hear whether other programs send out rejections, or you are just assumed to have been rejected if you don't hear back from them. i'm also still waiting to hear back from some programs.

FWIW I havent heard of any other places sending out rejections. I think at some point in time, no news is bad news...And as far as Hopkins is concerend, I was very pleased that they were one of my first interviews, but later I learned that they have trouble recruiting to Baltimore, and their program puts a lot of people off because of the somewhat "unreasonable" medicine rotations for psych residents (6 months total - 2 weeks MICU, 4 weeks CCU, both of which is q3 with an average PGY-1 workload of 75 hours per week). So I guess what I'm trying to say is it's very self-selective due to the workload. But that being said, it's Johns Hopkins. The education doesn't get much better than that.

I think that many of the programs that have been somewhat silent are waiting for the Dean's letter. Also, given that Stanford has actually been sending rejections, I suspect that not hearing from them means one is still in the running.

thanks for the encouragement. it looks like you've also done very well, so congratulations to you too, foster. to be honest, i am not a perfect applicant, not by any stretch of the imagination. i consider myself very lucky. so it's possible that stanford just found the weaknesses in my application intolerable. or another explanation is that based on my profile and interests, they knew i was would be unlikely to rank them highly. that would be a correct assessment, so i guess i can't blame them. kind of them to send out rejections early rather than leave me hanging. though giving the line, "we have too many applicants and therefore can't interview you" before they have actually handed out all of their interview slots is slightly insulting to my intelligence. ;)

I think that many of the programs that have been somewhat silent are waiting for the Dean's letter. Also, given that Stanford has actually been sending rejections, I suspect that not hearing from them means one is still in the running.

Yes I agree totally. I think (and this is totally my own formulation so take it for what it's worth) that many of the more competitive programs have 3 "piles" that they put the apps in: (1) Immediate invite (2) maybe invite - wait for deans letter and complete app (3) probably not invite (and if you're stanford - (4) rejection). There are some applicants that have extremely strong board scores/AOA status/other advanced degree/prestigious medical school that will be given invites immediately, but most others will probably have to duke it out with the remaining majority of the applicant pool following November 1st when all the applications are complete and the Dean's letters are in. Again, this is just a guess on my part, and if anything I think it mostly applies to the more competitve programs that receive a large number of applications.

thanks for the encouragement. it looks like you've also done very well, so congratulations to you too, foster. to be honest, i am not a perfect applicant, not by any stretch of the imagination. i consider myself very lucky. so it's possible that stanford just found the weaknesses in my application intolerable. or another explanation is that based on my profile and interests, they knew i was would be unlikely to rank them highly. that would be a correct assessment, so i guess i can't blame them. kind of them to send out rejections early rather than leave me hanging. though giving the line, "we have too many applicants and therefore can't interview you" before they have actually handed out all of their interview slots is slightly insulting to my intelligence. ;)

Thank you my friend. To touch on what you mentioned, I dont think there is such a thing as a perfect applicant, per se, but rather a perfect applicant for a particular program. Personally, I think it's pretty obvious from reading my app and personal statement over again that I have no interest in research and am more passionate about therapy (although I got invites from U Chicago, Michigan, Yale, and Hopkins which are supposed to be more research/academia oriented so go figure), so that might have put off some places like Pitt and what have you. But as imperfect as I believe the individual programs' selection process to be, I do have great faith in the NRMP and I truly believe that 95+% of us will end up at a program that we are well suited for. The term "self-selective" keeps coming up and I think it rings true.

Anyway, best of luck on your interviews!

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on Longwood (I'm guessing that they're waiting for Dean's Letters?) and Columbia.

Heard from and scheduled interviews at MGH, Hopkins, Cornell, Pitt, Yale, Penn, UMD, and Cambridge.

Trying to decide whether to cancel Pitt interview or not, as they scheduled me for Thanksgiving weekend (Sunday, Monday), and there is nary a cheap tix in sight...

Last edited:
So I received an email from U of Wash letting me know about another track they will be starting summer of 2007, the Idaho track. The email briefly describes the training for this track which is basically 2 years in Seattle and 2 years in Idaho. The email closed with, "Best wishes for your residency application process." This seems like a rejection email, but I'm not sure. Did anyone else receive this email, and what is your take on it? Thanks.

So I received an email from U of Wash letting me know about another track they will be starting summer of 2007, the Idaho track. The email briefly describes the training for this track which is basically 2 years in Seattle and 2 years in Idaho. The email closed with, "Best wishes for your residency application process." This seems like a rejection email, but I'm not sure. Did anyone else receive this email, and what is your take on it? Thanks.

What I should have asked is, did anyone who already received an invite also received the same email? Thanks again.

My spouse got that email too and has an invite for psych from U Wash...i think they sent it out to everyone.

I'm beginning to wonder whether those who've gotten invitations from Stanford are from California med schools. A quick scan of this thread suggests that applicants who've received invites are also applying to other California programs. Can anyone disprove this hypothesis? Anyone invited to Stanford who's not from a California school?

I got an invite to Stanford and am from the Midwest (have never lived or attended school in CA).

There goes that theory! How about anyone applying to Stanford's research track? Also, how many people out there have heard anything from NYU? BTW, good luck to you all in the residency match!

There goes that theory! How about anyone applying to Stanford's research track? Also, how many people out there have heard anything from NYU? BTW, good luck to you all in the residency match!
I am from the East Coast and I got an interview to Stanford (applied both regular and research tracks) a while ago. Unfortunately I waited too long to schedule the interview (wanted to cluster my West Coast interviews and hadn't heard from other schools) and now they inform me all their interview days are full?! wtf? I feel so stupid. On the other hand, how can they not have enough interview slots to accommodate everyone they invited? Is that weirdness or what?

same thing happened with me regarding buffalo. all u can do is ask to be on the waiting list. it is a good way for a program to screen us using our interest for the program. if ucla or harvard/mgh emailed me for an interview i would schedule it stat. if univ of puerto rico called i may wait awhile.

Yeah, I made the mistake of waiting to schedule a few programs b/c I wanted to wait for more interviews so I didn't have to piss the program off by scheduling and then rescheduling multiple times...I ended up giving up some good days doing this and should have just grabbed a day to get on the schedule....Luckly I've been able to schedule everything and that sucks what happened to you. I'm sure you can get on the wait and something will open up. Good luck!!!

same thing happened with me regarding buffalo. all u can do is ask to be on the waiting list. it is a good way for a program to screen us using our interest for the program. if ucla or harvard/mgh emailed me for an interview i would schedule it stat. if univ of puerto rico called i may wait awhile.
Gah, really? My MO had nothing to do with that. Basically there were a bunch of programs that didn't wait for all my LORs before issuing invites, and then another bunch that waited for the LORs. So I got a batch of invites as soon as I applied about a month ago, then a big wait, then a bunch more when my last LOR came in a week ago. Some of the schools I was most interested in (Stanford among them) were in the first batch, but I didn't want to schedule and reschedule. I actually sent them an email to that effect, saying I was interested but was waiting to schedule. Fay Houck in the office said that was fine but not to wait too long. Turns out she was right! Argh! Whoever is going to cancel their Stanford interview?? :mad: :mad:

I'm sure other's have figured this out, but a good way to tell if you're still in the running at a particular program at this stage is to look in ERAS to see if they've uploaded your MSPE. Some programs have done this already.

I'm sure other's have figured this out, but a good way to tell if you're still in the running at a particular program at this stage is to look in ERAS to see if they've uploaded your MSPE. Some programs have done this already.

Is that true? I thought programs HAD to download everything that becomes available regardless?

Is that true? I thought programs HAD to download everything that becomes available regardless?

You would think that this is a good way to measure if you are still in the running, but I can tell you this is hardly an accurate method.

While this may hold at some programs, that downloaded my CAF and assorted stats and little else since, I've noticed that there are programs that have formally rejected me that continue to download stuff, while others who have offered me interviews are way behind on their downloads.

You would think that this is a good way to measure if you are still in the running, but I can tell you this is hardly an accurate method.

While this may hold at some programs, that downloaded my CAF and assorted stats and little else since, I've noticed that there are programs that have formally rejected me that continue to download stuff, while others who have offered me interviews are way behind on their downloads.

Yea whether or not they download your MSPE and when they do it means very little. 2 programs that already offered me invites havent downloaded my MSPE but everyone else has. Some programs have automatic downloads, others are by hand. Watching when your MSPE is downloaded may be a waste of time and a source of un-needed stress.

OK, here is my list:
LIJ
NJMS
UConn
Beth Israel
UMDNJ Piscataway
Albert Eistein
St. Vincents
Mount Sinai
BUMC
MUSC

Still waiting on a couple of programs in NYC...

UTSW via email and Baylor via snail mail.

It was a nice touch on Baylor's part to reference my personal statement though it seemed randomly inserted in their letter.

Mind saying what you got on the Step 1?

Finally received an invite from Stony Brook. Haven't heard from NYU...

got st. vincent's and UNC today. i am an IMG but i hear a lot of US grads talking about this program so i guess it must be good (atleast for an IMG.) i dont hear many us grads talk of jamaica or deleware psych institute (great psycho path and forensics exposure)

got st. vincent's and UNC today. i am an IMG but i hear a lot of US grads talking about this program so i guess it must be good (atleast for an IMG.) i dont hear many us grads talk of jamaica or deleware psych institute (great psycho path and forensics exposure)

Not sure about St. Vincents, but UNC is very good. Congrats!!!! :thumbup:

Univ of Nevada Reno today. I know someone in the IM program. The program seems pretty good. What do you guys think?

Univ of Nevada Reno today. I know someone in the IM program. The program seems pretty good. What do you guys think?

Good for you.

I was hoping for an invite there for family reasons. A possible downside I see in the program is that you can't get a full license in Nevada until you've completed three years of residency training. Considering that the cost of living in Reno is not as cheap as it used to be and their salaries seem to be at the lower end of the scale, I'd definitely ask about moonlighting opportunities either within the program or in neighboring California (full license: 1 year postgraduate training for AMGs, 2 years for IMGs that qualify for a PTAL). Otherwise, it looks like a solid program in a very attractive location.

In the unlikely event that you don't go or cancel, please consider sending me a pm so I can try to call them up for an interview.

Good for you.

I was hoping for an invite there for family reasons. A possible downside I see in the program is that you can't get a full license in Nevada until you've completed three years of residency training. Considering that the cost of living in Reno is not as cheap as it used to be and their salaries seem to be at the lower end of the scale, I'd definitely ask about moonlighting opportunities either within the program or in neighboring California (full license: 1 year postgraduate training for AMGs, 2 years for IMGs that qualify for a PTAL). Otherwise, it looks like a solid program in a very attractive location.

In the unlikely event that you don't go or cancel, please consider sending me a pm so I can try to call them up for an interview.

thanks for the info. from the ivs i have recieved i would say it is on my top 10 list. i hope you get an iv as well. i think they only started inviting. from the sound of it, it seems you may be an img (not many amgs heard of the term amg unless they read one of my posts, lol.) i don't think it is super competetive. i am also hoping for an IV in vegas as well. the PD seems really nice and approachable from the email he sent us. good luck.

Got an invite from Stanford. Oddly, however, they offered me a spot on a waiting list since all of their dates have been taken. I found this mildly irritating, so I decided that Stanford wasn't for me and politely declined. Anyone else have this experience?

thanks for the info. from the ivs i have recieved i would say it is on my top 10 list. i hope you get an iv as well. i think they only started inviting. from the sound of it, it seems you may be an img (not many amgs heard of the term amg unless they read one of my posts, lol.) i don't think it is super competetive. i am also hoping for an IV in vegas as well. the PD seems really nice and approachable from the email he sent us. good luck.

Thanks. Yes, I am. Good luck.

Got an invite from Stanford. Oddly, however, they offered me a spot on a waiting list since all of their dates have been taken. I found this mildly irritating, so I decided that Stanford wasn't for me and politely declined. Anyone else have this experience?
Isn't this weird? You would think they wouldn't send out invites unless they could accommodate wrt interview slots. What a bizarre and irritating MO. See my post earlier on this page (midway down page 6 of this thread) for a small rant on the subject.

Anyway, update is that a slot opened up for me only a couple of days after I posted that, so perhaps it's true that cancellations are frequent enough that everyone who wants to interview can.

i wonder what it means if you have heard absolutely nothing from stanford? i dont have 4 lor's in but i got an invite from ucsf who demands the same.
stanford does have a confusing mo!

by the way, got GW and Harvard South Shore.

are Harvard South Shore residents mainly in the VA...like would it be the worst nightmare for someone interested in peds? :confused:

thanks guys for the replies....

Isn't this weird? You would think they wouldn't send out invites unless they could accommodate wrt interview slots. What a bizarre and irritating MO. See my post earlier on this page (midway down page 6 of this thread) for a small rant on the subject.

Anyway, update is that a slot opened up for me only a couple of days after I posted that, so perhaps it's true that cancellations are frequent enough that everyone who wants to interview can.

Yes, it certainly is irritating. Anyway, just thought I's take the opportunity to post an updtated list, if anyone is interested:

Inivites from (in somewhat geographical order):

Columbia
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital
LIJMC
Albert Einstein-Montefiorre
Yale
Institute of Living
MGH/McLean
Brown
U. Pittsburgh
Johns Hopkins
Wash U
U. Iowa
Stanford (see above)

Still waiting to hear from:
NYU
U Penn
Creedmoor
Harlem Hospital

No rejections.

I would love to hear if anyone has heard from NYU or U Penn.

Heard from Harvard Longwood today. Still waiting on Columbia...
Yes, I have heard from Penn.

Yep, heard from Penn--nothing from NYU

Congratulations to all for the great interviews.

I have heard back from nearly a majority of the schools I've applied to:

Interviewing at:

UCLA-SFV
UCLA-Harbor
UCLA
USC
UCSD
UT Southwestern
Pitt
BU

Waiting on: MGH, Longwood, Cambridge, UW, UCSF, Stanford, Cedars, UCI

Just curious when MGH/Mclean, Harvard Longwood, and Cambridge have their interview dates. Trying to map out some semblance of an interview plan despite having incomplete information.

Thanks, and good luck to all.

Congratulations to all for the great interviews.

I have heard back from nearly a majority of the schools I've applied to:

Interviewing at:

UCLA-SFV
UCLA-Harbor
UCLA
USC
UCSD
UT Southwestern
Pitt
BU

Waiting on: MGH, Longwood, Cambridge, UW, UCSF, Stanford, Cedars, UCI

Just curious when MGH/Mclean, Harvard Longwood, and Cambridge have their interview dates. Trying to map out some semblance of an interview plan despite having incomplete information.

Thanks, and good luck to all.

From Longwood: We interview Mondays, Thursdays and a few Fridays (12/8/06, 1/5/07, 1/19/07) between November 27, 2006 and January 29, 2007 (except on 12/25/06, 1/1/07 and 1/15/07). Hope this helps.