iPad Pro vs iPad Air 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FauxxFox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to UFCVM and it is required that we obtain an iPad for the school.

I'm comparing between the iPad Pro and iPad Air 2. Last year, I had purchased a Surface Pro 3 (which I will be selling now that I must have an iPad), and I liked the pen feature because I was able to rest my hand on the screen and it wrote fairly well. For me, writing notes rather than typing helps me learn better and retain the material. My only issue is the price difference (obviously). Does anyone have any input on either of the iPads?

My main two concerns are screen size (if I will be studying from it a lot, I like larger screens) and writing detection capabilities (as I know iPad Air 2 does not have the pencil feature and some of the apps/styluses do not pick up well). Does anyone currently use the writing feature often to draw diagrams/etc?

And if you currently attend UFCVM and can let me know what all you use the iPad for/how often, it would be greatly appreciated :) !

Members don't see this ad.

What will you be using the ipad for? The pro I thought was meant to compete with the surface and has the price to match, so I wouldn't drop the cash on it unless I was planning on essentially replacing the surface...

What you need out of the device is the most important consideration by far.

Members don't see this ad :)
They really funnel you into an iPad? I'd be pretty upset with that! I'm no Apple guy, but if quality digital note-taking is what you want, that monstrous iPad Pro is the way to go. It has true digitizer pen support for the pencil thing, and the other models don't.

But, if they're providing lecture material in PDF/PPT/WORD format I would use OneNote, keep your SP3, and buy a smaller older generation iPad on the cheap as a portable tablet. That way you can keep a full computer (SP3), and still have all your notes sync seamlessly to the iPad using the OneNote app. I know I couldn't survive doing all my work on a mobile operating system like iOS, but to each their own.

Reactions: 1 users
You're really required to have an iPad? Wow!! I love my Surface, I'd keep it if you could :(

Reactions: 1 user
I'm actually trying to get ahold of some of my friends who currently attend UFCVM. We need the iPad because UFCVM has a lot of professors/programs for iOS and the hospital runs more efficiently by utilizing medical apps etc with it. My friends now use it for note taking (obviously) as well.

As mentioned I currently have the Surface Pro 3, however, I find I don't utilize it as much as I imagined. I tend to reach more for my Mac computer for studying, etc. It may be because I do not like the keyboard for the Surface Pro nor do I like that it is difficult to place on my lap comfortably. But I did like being able to write directly on it. I also am not fond of the new Windows! Maybe another reason I don't like it hehe. Hence why I'm hesitant to spend that much money on another pad product and want to do my research first! :)

Also important to note, I am planning on selling my Surface Pro :) Forgot to mention that! I have my Mac laptop and another computer at home, so I want an iPad to essential use for note taking and studying when I'm not at home! Along with all other things UFCVM requires it for on site.

Hey Fauxxfox, I had an old iPad I was using for notes and switched to an iPad pro when they came out. I also have the pen and keyboard. I love it!! The pen works great and you can rest your hand on the screen while you write with the pen, unlike the iPad where I could sort of do that if had the little hand space thing on the bottom. The pen is a HUGE improvement over the old ones. Very responsive and sensitive. The pro is fast and light. I was worried the size would be too big, but actually really like the size. I used an laptop case to carry it in and it works well. The keyboard is a big impprovment over the Bluetooth ones, much more responsive and doesn't do that weird double letter thing that the bluetooths I used did. The spell check works with the new keyboard as well, although that doesn't help much for medical terminology.

I'd suggest going and testing on if you haven't already. It's really expensive, but I love it and it has helped me a lot with note taking. And congrats on getting in!!!!!

You're really required to have an iPad? Wow!! I love my Surface, I'd keep it if you could :(

I'd be that guy at UFCVM that marches down to IT and says, "Listen here, I'll buy a beat up first generation iPad for $75 so I can utilize your little apps, but there's no way I'm giving up my Windows machine. Sorry :p"

@FauxxFox, I'm not sure how featured iOS OneNote is (if you use it for notes), but you may not be able to import PDFs or PPTs into OneNote. On Windows/Mac, you can print or export anything into OneNote. On Android, you can't do that. That was a massive limitation for me, because if a professor changes lecture notes the morning of or uploads a new document 10 min before class, you're SOL getting it into OneNote unless you have a full computer nearby. Might be solved on iOS though.

Last edited:
I found OneNote on iOS to be terrible. I can't remember the details of importing, but the syncing was really awful so it never opened up my notes and was done from the start. My classmates and I all use Notability for iPad note taking, so I would recommend that for sure.