This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amaisi

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I'm wondering whether anyone can give any advice on the various Irish universities offering graduate entry medicine (UCD,RSCI,Cork, Galway, Limerick). Infos regarding their reputation, teaching styles etc would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!
I'm wondering whether anyone can give any advice on the various Irish universities offering graduate entry medicine (UCD,RSCI,Cork, Galway, Limerick). Infos regarding their reputation, teaching styles etc would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello,
Regarding reputation: the reputations varies within Ireland but, if you're north american and planning on returning there for residency then they are all good schools with similar reputations in my opinion.
Teaching styles: Limerick has a different learning style compared to the others (problem based learning). RCSI and UCD have lectures and tutorials for most of their first 2 years and then clinical rotations for the majority of the last two years. I don't know very much about Cork and Galway tbh.
Hope that Helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
The match stats do not correlate with the perceived reputation of each school within Ireland, in fact it may even be the opposite.

Hi!

Thanks!

Did you figure where you wanted to go? I am considering schools there as well

I am looking at RCSI,UCD and UCC

RCSI:Huge international community,they accept 42 non-EU,but 30 EU places,based on their website :p Early clinical exposures,weekly hospital attachments prior to sem 2.

UCD: Strong foundations in the sciences in the first 2yr.

UCC:Strong foundations in the sciences in the first 1.5yr. Research project in Y4,this is a plus if you are considering a clinician-scientist pathway. Small group :)

UCD/UCC accepts solely on GAMSAT scores.(correct me if i am wrong)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone, congratulation to everyone who got the acceptances from the schools and best wishes to those who are still waiting :D

I would like to know if there is any disclosed statistics of non-EU medical students. It will be very nice if I have the stats of their residencies, usmle and etc

Hello everyone, congratulation to everyone who got the acceptances from the schools and best wishes to those who are still waiting :D

I would like to know if there is any disclosed statistics of non-EU medical students. It will be very nice if I have the stats of their residencies, usmle and etc

The North American student lead groups (CIMSA, AMSA or NIMSA) often compile that information and present it post match. After that someone will usually post it to SDN or other forums. I graduated last year and don't have this years information. Hopefully most people were happy!

The North American student lead groups (CIMSA, AMSA or NIMSA) often compile that information and present it post match. After that someone will usually post it to SDN or other forums. I graduated last year and don't have this years information. Hopefully most people were happy!
Thank you for the information! Do you mean that there are some disclosed stats for the previous years?

Thank you for the information! Do you mean that there are some disclosed stats for the previous years?
Check this forum. There were topics like "ABP match list". Look them up.

Hello,
Regarding reputation: the reputations varies within Ireland but, if you're north american and planning on returning there for residency then they are all good schools with similar reputations in my opinion.
Teaching styles: Limerick has a different learning style compared to the others (problem based learning). RCSI and UCD have lectures and tutorials for most of their first 2 years and then clinical rotations for the majority of the last two years. I don't know very much about Cork and Galway tbh.
Hope that Helps!

Thanks for your reply. I'm not North American. I'm an EU student and plan to stay after graduation. Would you mind explaining how the reputations vary within Ireland? Thanks!

Reputations in Ireland or without are basically equivocal or irrelevant. All the Irish schools have a decent middle ground reputation. Do well in exams, participate in extra curricular, do electives do research and play the game and you'll match anywhere in the world from any of the Irish schools...