Is a fulltime job performing sperm collection on fish relevant?

Started by sunnyshine
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunnyshine

Kansas State C/O 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah so this is probably one of the most random posts ever but...

I am not to confident about being called off of waitlist status this year and so I started looking for some more vet/animal jobs to beef up my application for the next year. I got offered a job working at a small biotechnology company that wants me to perform husbandry and sperm collection on fish in order to study theriogeneology. Would this kind of work be considered relevant for veterinary school?? Thanks for any help in advance.
 
I'm pretty sure that it needs to be under the supervision of a PhD or DVM to be considered veterinary experience. Otherwise, it'd be considered to be just animal experience.
 
Yeah so this is probably one of the most random posts ever but...

I am not to confident about being called off of waitlist status this year and so I started looking for some more vet/animal jobs to beef up my application for the next year. I got offered a job working at a small biotechnology company that wants me to perform husbandry and sperm collection on fish in order to study theriogeneology. Would this kind of work be considered relevant for veterinary school?? Thanks for any help in advance.

I'm sorry, I don't really have anything relevant to say, but I totally just LOL'ed at your title.

Back on topic,

I'd say it's definitely releveant. A) It's work with animals, and B) it may be counted as veterinary experience if under a PhD or DVM. Also, that's a pretty cool skill to talk about in interviews.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think this sounds awesome! It's really unique animal experience, and will give you something interesting to talk about during your interviews. How many people can say they've collected semen from fish?
 
...I LOLed at the title of your post too...

I'm sure this going to be a generic SDN response, but I would recommend "rounding out" your application, rather than "beefing up" your application, if that makes sense. Did you set up post-mortem? The job you were offered sounds really cool (and like a neato-interview topic). But if you intend to apply to the same schools next year, I would do the file review to see specifically how you could improve your application for next year. If they recommend more experience hours (and if this project is over-seen by a DVM, and you have a significant amount of clinical hours in some other area--SA, LA, etc.), then I would totally go for the position. But, if the file-reviewer suggests you improve in other areas, I would focus on those (and only take this particular job if I could handle it in addition to improving my application.) But that's only my opinion. 🙄

Good luck! (And if you take the job, try not to get too spermy. Eew.)
 
Thanks for all the advice. Based on what was said I think I am going to take the job and then volunteer at a veterinary clinic on my days off. This way I can get animal and veterinary experience (and if the fish job happens to be under a vet then that is just all the better!).

P.S. - Don't worry I till try not to get to spermy (eww again)!