X-Files: The TWWuth is OWWt There - Game Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

apoptosis09

She/her • tOSU CVM c/o 2029
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Welcome to the X-Files

1773719507544.png


Special Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully step out of their rental car and onto the streets of a once-quiet town.

Like many of their cases, the local police had reached out for the help of the FBI when it became clear the case was well beyond the range of their typical drug bust or drunken brawl. Someone – or possibly something, according to Mulder – seemed to be killing innocent townspeople, and no one could figure out how or why.

As the agents approached the freshly taped-off crime scene, the local sheriff stepped out of his cruiser. The group exchanged brisk introductions before the sheriff continued, “Look, I didn’t want to involve Washington in our town’s business, but there’s just something about these killings that just don’t add up. And the last thing I need is our people going off of some wild conspiracy–” Mulder and Scully exchanged a brief glance “–So the sooner y’all can help us get this under wraps, the better. No offense, of course.”

“None taken,” Scully replied. “I’m sure there’s a reasonable explanation for all of this. Now, if you don’t mind, walk us through the details of the crimes again?”

Table of Contents
Case Brief | Red Tape | Roster

 
Last edited:
Game Rules

1773719765328.png

General Gameflow

1. This game is inspired by the 90’s sci-fi show The X-Files, however, the game does not necessarily follow the plot, timeline, or pattern of the actual show. Similarly, write-ups may not precisely reflect in-game happenings as I reserve the right to embellish for funsies flavor.

2. Cycle Timing: 24 hour days, 24 hour nights. Day cycles will open at 9pm EST and close at 9pm EST the next day. Votes will not be counted once the SDN timestamp reads 9:00 (or 21:00 if you're fancy). Night actions are due at 8pm EST during the night cycle to allow extra time for processing so the thread can open relatively on time. The thread will be OPEN for chatter during the night cycle but may be locked between cycle closes and writeup postings.

3. Plurality vote is in place. There will be no official majority vote at any point in this game, though if there is an overwhelming, unmoving wagon we may close early. Votes will never be locked in - feel free to unvote and vote again at your leisure. Mods will post official tallies as we are able but it will help you and us to keep track yourselves as well.

4. Unless you have been told otherwise, your night actions cannot be used on yourselves, or on the same player on consecutive nights.

Rules

Note that these rules must be followed. We will not hesitate to enact punishment for breaking them, up to and including mod killing and restriction from signing up for future games if warranted.

1. The first and most important rule is that this is a GAME that is meant to be FUN. We understand that things can get heated and emotions can run high when we are accusing each other of murder, but there will be no tolerance for hostility, excessive appeals to emotion, or personal attacks on other players. If mods see that things are getting out of hand, we will ask the involved parties to take a break from the thread. It is much, much better if you can police yourselves and take breaks when you need them. If we have to step in, you can consider that your one and ONLY warning.

2. Do not discuss the game outside of this thread and your role PM unless you are specifically allowed to do so by the mods. You should also avoid discussing game strategy with people in real life.

3. Place votes in bold or ####between numerous octothorpes#### using the terms "vote" or "yeet". If you have already placed a vote, you must unvote to place a new one. "No vote" is not an option. Please tag your mods @apoptosis09, @WildZoo, and/or @kaydubs in your votes!

4. Participate, participate, participate. I am not a mod who tolerates ghosting. We spent time building this game, and by signing up you committed to play it. There are no specific participation requirements for this game, but you will be nudged if we feel you are slacking. Life does happen, so if things get busy let us know and send in contingency actions.

5. Subs are available for extenuating life circumstances only, not to replace ghosty players. If you require a sub, please contact the mods directly. Do not post about it on the thread.

6. Once you are dead, you are not allowed to strategize on the thread. If you are going to post, you must post in asterisks
********
like this
********
Please limit the amount that you post, and limit content to fun comments or cheering for your team. Just as you should be careful with what you post after death, you should also be careful with what posts you like/react to. Use your best judgement, don't like posts with strategy in them. You would be surprised how what you say or like can sway players' thoughts, even if you think it is innocuous. So err on the side of caution.
DO NOT DISCUSS THE GAME WITH LIVING PLAYERS ONCE YOU HAVE DIED.

7. Direct quoting or copy/pasting of PMs, including conversations with the mods, is not allowed. Screenshots are not allowed. Fake copy/pasting, quoting, and screenshots are not allowed either.

8. You may edit posts, but do not delete them, and do not edit yeet votes.

9. Do not discuss or share your night results before the writeup is posted (the thread may be locked to prevent this anyway). However, you are free to continue to strategize between yeet close and writeup, unless I've locked the thread, which I might do if I feel like typing in silence.
 
It is now Day 1

1773791132355.png


The Sheriff was right about one thing, something about this murder didn't add up. No sign of a struggle, no evidence of motive, no known connection to between the victims.
There had to be something, though. There always was. Some explanation that seemed too outlandish to consider yet, some secret connection.

"Let's ask around town" Mulder suggested. "In a town this small, someone has to know something. There has to be a connection somewhere."

The Sheriff shrugged. "Be my guest, but trust me I've already tried. I ask 10 different people and get 10 different stories about what they think happened."
Well, there's only one way to find out, and only one place to start....

Vote Closes at 9PM EDT Tomorrow, 3/18

☘️ 15 Players Remain: ☘️


@Animal Midwife
@Santygrass
@GoSpursGo
@Clem J
@genny
@_rae_
@Mrs Queequeg
@vampyrica
@reddeadrobin
@kitzsuna
@SARdoghandler
@CeeGee14
@sovreijn
@Zenge142
@potentialsheltervet

🌈 Subs: 🌈
1. kcalb

🍺Tots: 🍺
1. chic
2. Fruits
3. beans
4. Stagg
5. Samac
13. Barks
smokingman. JJJ
utc. shorty

​
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeet GoSpursGo

VIbes are telling me that he didnt rand the same alignment as last gane tbh. Quick and swift death is the best solution
 
I thought this didn’t open for another half hour!!!!

Also heads up, believers, I am SICK so we’ll see what nonsense I post tomorrow.

YEET BEANS
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also I dont remember a sci-fi show that I have as favorite but I'll mull on it I feel like Im probably forgetting something.
 
@apoptosis09 how many green beers have you had??

In honor of the X-files, I hereby invite everyone to share their favorite sci-fi show or 90s show. I'll straddle the fence with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine 🙂
Rocko’s Modern Life
 
For some reason everyone like YYH better than me.

I didn’t DISlike it, but my parents always made us watch TV in 30 minute spurts, and it usually was right before or after DBZ, which was appointment television for middle school/high school Spurs
From now on, you are my mortal enemy.

Edit:
This is an acceptable excuse
 
☘️Day 1 Tally'O 🍺

Spurs (1) - Santy
Beans (is not playing) - Rae
PSV (1) - AM
Santy (1) - Spurs
CG (1) - Vampy
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gonna go with The Orville if it doesn't have to be 90s

If it was gonna have to be 90s I was gonna say firefly but Google informed me that was 2002 🥲
Sci-fi doesn't have to be 90s! I figured I might be boxing myself into too small of a box with the yung'uns if I made them pick sci-fi + 90s.

I don't want to do a rating this time because I got tired of hurting peoples' feelings--we can celebrate everyone's favorites 🙂

Top 1990s/sci-fi show nominees
Spurs- Star Trek: DS9
Zenge - Rocko's Modern Life
RDR - YYH and the Byron Chronicles
SAR - The Orville
 
Gonna go with The Orville if it doesn't have to be 90s

If it was gonna have to be 90s I was gonna say firefly but Google informed me that was 2002 🥲
Surprisingly I was one of those people who watched firefly way late, Mrs. Spurs finally made me watch it after we got married. Really good and I enjoyed the movie too!

The Orville is the kind of show I'm certain I would love, I just haven't found time for it