Is an SMP a good idea for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Flapjackrack

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would just like to get a feel of whether you all feel that an SMP is a good decision for me. So for this cycle (my 1st) I have received 3 MD interviews (all OOS). I have been denied from 1, looks like in getting wait listed at 1, and still have one coming up.

My Stats are: 3.47 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA and a 508 MCAT. I still have one more semester of undergrad so I may hit 3.5 or so.

If you think that an SMP is a good idea, does anyone have any recommendations of programs for me to look into? I know about Toledo and UCincy.

Thanks guys!
 
Last edited:
I would just like to get a feel of whether you all feel that an SMP is a good decision for me. So for this cycle (my 1st) I have received 3 MD interviews (all OOS, I'm an OH resident). I have been denied from 1, looks like in getting wait listed at 1, and still have one coming up.

My Stats are: 3.47 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA and a 508 MCAT. I still have one more semester of undergrad so I may hit 3.5 or so.

If you think that an SMP is a good idea, does anyone have any recommendations of programs for me to look into? I know about Toledo and UCincy.

Thanks guys!

I would say go ahead and start applying to SMP's as a backup. Your stats are in the average range for most of the top SMP's so you would be competitive, and I think your stats are also in the range that an SMP would be beneficial for you. I am currently at Cincy's SMP, and I definitely recommend that program. However, I can't say much about Toledo.