Is Anesthesiology still a good choice for Medical Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How can anyone tell you what specialty would be a better fit for you.

I think what I should have asked is more along the lines of this: what things should I be considering when trying to decide between the two disciplines?

For example, I know that if a person likes rounding and clinic, then Medicine would probably be the way to go and if a person doesn't like those factors then maybe anesthesiology would be better...that is more or less the type of thing I was asking about.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been lurking on this thread for awhile and figure its time to speak up.
I am sick of people saying that private practice is going to be gone in a few years and that CRNAs are going to take all of those jobs. Personally I find that extremely insulting. Someone mentioned they did private practice and it seemed so rote and boring. I also heard that all MD only groups were going to be non existent in the next few years.
I work in the private practice arena in a community hospital. Granted we dont do the "big" cases, the CABG, lobectomy, the vascular cases, but we do the bread and butter cases, some thoracic and occasional ASA 4's for emergent bowel cases. Even though we are a community hospital we do have an ICU and do deal with extremely sick patients. I am an expert in efficency, room turnover, perioperative pain control, PONV, I do all my own anesthetics, my own labor epidurals, cesarean sections, u/s guided blocks, you name it, I do it. Personally I love it this way. I dont have to manage personnel, I just manage patients. Dont have to worry about offending anyone or having to deal with disruptive personalities, except the surgeons, who are very nice seeing as I deal with them directly and dont have anyone backstabbing me when I leave the OR (I have heard CRNAs backstab anesthesiologists once they leave the OR). I dont deal with that bullshq period, end of story, and I love it that way.
Think about it folks, if we give CRNAs all the lovely private practice gigs we are left with academics. I am sorry but I didnt go into medicine to be an academician, I wanted to work in a community hospital type of practice. I know there are a lot of folks like me and if we lose all our private practice gigs you might as well kiss anesthesia as a speciality goodbye, might as well make it a fellowship of IM or ER or some such shq.
So the way the health care business is headed is that all of us are going to get shq on and shq on hard. CRNAs think they are exempt? LOL, they are going to wish they were part of the ASAPAC in a few years. Talk to your partners who worked in Canada or Europe. These are countries with socialized medicine already, these are countries where there are no CRNAs. Doctors are going to become HUGE players in the whole health care landscape real quick if socialized medicine takes a hold. You think the government is so stupid to staff NPs and CRNAs as a majority? The govt knows that they have to keep health care safe. So they are going to cut the middlemen, or at least slash their salaries and their numbers by ALOT. But in the same respect, we as docs will also make less money but will work less hours, and there will be more positions in medical schools for more highly trained practioners with education, and less of these midlevel types. Once medicine is no longer lucrative, the draw will wane for these midlevels and like I said govt will work with docs to maintain the integrity of the system. I read an excellent article from England explaining how at the moment England has only anesthestists (docs) no CRNAs, and how the demand and number of ORs in England is beyond the possible supply of docs to cover all the ORs. So what the anesthestists in England are deciding to do is to hire people with master of science in chemistry, physics, etc who are looking for work and train them in the basics of anesthesia. The article stated that the anesthetists in England have seen the horrors of the American system of CRNAs and dont want to take the chance in hel that anything like that would occur in England so they are not going to train nurses. If anything I think the US govt will be looking at the systems of European and Canadian healthcare systems and how the efficiently operate without all these midlevel practioners and the govt is going to find a way to make sure that healthcare is safe by ensuring that high quality well educated people stay in medicine, which means that the govt is finally going to be on our side for once. I am very optimistic because I feel that once we work for the govt, the irony will be that the govt will have to work for us and will listen to what we need in order for health care to survive. I know the military system is a govt system, and I think that will in the future model what the private socialized system is like and not what the military system is like presently. If the govt fuqs with us too much, no one will enter medicine and the system will collapse once people realize that these midlevels idiots who graduated from some online RN course or community college backwoods is entirely out of their league and cannot advance a metaphor let alone a medical establishment, then the govt doesnt want that, so we are set, trust me.

I'll tell you the future that I envision. Like any prediction, it will likely be totally wrong, but these are my thoughts:

1. There is a huge Medicare budget crunch coming. They will be a) slashing salaries for the "highly paid" fields, and b) not have any money for anyone else either.

2. The hospitals will begin to suffer. They will be under an even tighter budget crunch, and many, many hospitals will shut down completely.

3. This budget crunch (on both sides) will lead to cutting corners. One way they can do this is to hire more CRNA's per Anesthesiologist. Or, to hire anesthesiologists at CRNA prices. Either way, from a business perspective, why pay someone twice as much to do the "same" job? Especially when you're hard up for $$$.

4. This will lead to sweet, cush, supervisory anesthesia gigs for those that can get them. Unfortunately, it will also contract the job market, so gas guys will be heading into fellowships: pain, ICU, etc. These will become very hard to get into due to the sheer number of people applying.

5. The contracted job market will lead to docs willing to work for less money, trying to undercut the competition to score a job (because even $150k/yr is more than $0/yr). Salaries will fall.

I truly hope this doesn't come to pass. I don't want to turn this into a "CRNAs are going to take all the jobs" war, because that's not what I'm saying. CRNA's aren't going to TAKE the jobs...they're going to be GIVEN the jobs by a poor government, and a poor hospital trying to save money.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if that's the case why not do it with all other medical professions as well? Replace all internists with NPs? Pediatricians with NPs? Psychs with social workers? Why not it would save money? So then why go into medicine at all? The govt is going to have to back docs, albeit with lower salaries at te expense of midlevels. Otherwise you will get a collapse of the medical profession. The govt will use other socialized medicine countries as their blueprint where midlevels don't exist at all and they still supposedly get good results. Why would a hospital hire a CRNA over a MD if both cost the same and the MD can provide a lot of additional service and the level of expertise is much higher.

So if that's the case why not do it with all other medical professions as well? Replace all internists with NPs? Pediatricians with NPs? Psychs with social workers? Why not it would save money? So then why go into medicine at all? The govt is going to have to back docs, albeit with lower salaries at te expense of midlevels. Otherwise you will get a collapse of the medical profession. The govt will use other socialized medicine countries as their blueprint where midlevels don't exist at all and they still supposedly get good results. Why would a hospital hire a CRNA over a MD if both cost the same and the MD can provide a lot of additional service and the level of expertise is much higher.

It won't happen across all fields, because other fields (psych, for example) are somewhat more independent of the system, and already make less money. The coming budget crunch won't be felt NEARLY as hard in FP and Psych as in the "Hospital"-based fields.

To answer your last question, a hospital would hire a CRNA over an MD because they're cheaper. And that's how these people think, especially during a budget crunch.

Now, I agree that docs won't be going away. Salaries can only drop so far before we all strike or defect to another country, so things can only get so bad. But, I really think that the hospital-based fields (including gas) are going to get hit pretty hard in the coming years. It'll pass eventually, but it's going to suck during the storm.

CRNAs aren't really cheaper. There was an article in the ASA Newsletter a while back (within the past year) that did the analysis and basically showed that CRNAs earn are paid at almost the same rate as an academic anesthesiologist. Check it out. The reason they make less is simply that they work about 20 hours/wk less.