Is it detrimental to omit transcripts from past institutions when applying to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Follower

Reaction score
I've been taking university courses for 10 years now, since high school. The issue is that I'm afraid I'm going to forget about one of the many self-enrichment classes I've taken online or at other institutions. I'm trying to think of every accredited institution I've taken university credit courses at, and right now I have a list of 14 schools. One of the community colleges I attended is now closed. I also studied abroad twice (applied directly, not through my alma mater) and may not be able to get those transcripts easily (especially in English). I'm currently doing a post-bacc... Could I possibly just submit transcripts/grades from my degree and post-bacc programs?

Thank you for any relevant input.

Members don't see this ad.

No. You are required to submit transcripts from every college and university (and trade school) you’ve ever attended. Failure to do so could mean your acceptance gets rescinded, or if they find out in med school, you could get expelled.

I had 10 transcripts including a school that is now closed. I feel your frustration, but it is much better to just do the right thing and get them all in.

Reactions: 3 users
No. You are required to submit transcripts from every college and university (and trade school) you’ve ever attended. Failure to do so could mean your acceptance gets rescinded, or if they find out in med school, you could get expelled.

I had 10 transcripts including a school that is now closed. I feel your frustration, but it is much better to just do the right thing and get them all in.

How did you get the transcript from the closed school?

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you get the transcript from the closed school?

AAMC told me a letter from the state's department of education saying the school was closed and that no transcript was available was good enough. If a transcript had been available at the DoE, then they would have required that to be sent.

Another layer was added, since the school is in Jersey, and rather than the DoE, the department of commerce keeps transcripts. So I had to get a transcript request notarized and sent in, and they sent a letter to AMCAS saying no transcript exists.

Reactions: 1 user
AAMC told me a letter from the state's department of education saying the school was closed and that no transcript was available was good enough. If a transcript had been available at the DoE, then they would have required that to be sent.

Another layer was added, since the school is in Jersey, and rather than the DoE, the department of commerce keeps transcripts. So I had to get a transcript request notarized and sent in, and they sent a letter to AMCAS saying no transcript exists.

Jesus what a pain in the ass. Hope you have extra copies just in case there are transcript requests in future.

Reactions: 2 users
One of the schools I attended is defunct

Thankfully another school took over their transcripts/alumni stuff so I just go through them. It’s incredibly expensive to get a transcript, but I am just very, very thankful this other school stepped in to help folks like me.

I've been taking university courses for 10 years now, since high school. The issue is that I'm afraid I'm going to forget about one of the many self-enrichment classes I've taken online or at other institutions. I'm trying to think of every accredited institution I've taken university credit courses at, and right now I have a list of 14 schools. One of the community colleges I attended is now closed. I also studied abroad twice (applied directly, not through my alma mater) and may not be able to get those transcripts easily (especially in English). I'm currently doing a post-bacc... Could I possibly just submit transcripts/grades from my degree and post-bacc programs?

Thank you for any relevant input.

You should try to get a transcript from every institution you attended. I belive that the National Student Clearinghouse cross-references your transcripts with their database and can identify discrepancies. It’s one thing to accidentally forget one out of many and another to intentionally withhold the information.

Plus, even if it isn’t detected at that stage, you still run the risk of having your degree rescinded down the line for lying by omission on your application. Even if it’s small, I wouldn’t want that hanging over my head.

Reactions: 2 users
You have to submit all of your transcripts except the international ones unless they were part of study abroad through a US institution or if it was transferred to US school or if it is one of the American universities abroad. AAMC doesn’t accept foreign transcripts.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile