Is it in poor taste to ask my chances of receiving a scholarship before agreeing to an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

henshouse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I've been accepted into a state school that I'm happy with. After many months of silence I recently received an interview invite to an OOS school I perceive equal in terms of academics, rankings, whatever. However, it is in an urban center, which is desirable to me. Given that it is OOS, the tuition is about 20k more than my state school. I would really only attend the OOS school if I knew I was going to receive a decent scholarship and I do not want to spend the money to interview if I know won't be getting any financial aid. So per my title, is it rude to ask prior to accepting the interview if I have a shot at receiving financial aid? My family is not poor and my application is not stellar (given that I did not receive this invite until February), so realistically I do not expect any help. My family keeps saying it doesn't hurt to ask... But does it?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I wouldn't. But some may advise otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think that doing that would be seen as being in poor taste.

Thank you. I have decided to decline it.
What about if you get invited to a late interview (late Feb/early March), can you ask if you will be interviewing for a waitlist spot?

Reactions: 1 user
That's a fair question. The answer will uniformly be "no", but in reality, it will be yes. Or rather, seats will be rationed, and the Adcom more picky.

What about if you get invited to a late interview (late Feb/early March), can you ask if you will be interviewing for a waitlist spot?

The people who do admissions and the people who do financial aid are different and based out of different offices. So the people who you ask will likely just tell you that they have no idea and can't tell you anything until you are accepted and submit FAFSA/CSS PROFILE. And the admissions people would likely just tell you that they're not responsible for financial aid. They may be responsible for merit scholarships, but they probably also wouldn't tell you whether you were competitive for it prior to even interviewing.

I think asking a question along the lines of what sort of scholarships does the school have? What is the average debt of graduates, and other generic money questions are totally appropriate. Asking if you as a candidate will receive money before an acceptance doesnt seem like a strategy that makes sense.

Hi. I've been accepted into a state school that I'm happy with. After many months of silence I recently received an interview invite to an OOS school I perceive equal in terms of academics, rankings, whatever. However, it is in an urban center, which is desirable to me. Given that it is OOS, the tuition is about 20k more than my state school. I would really only attend the OOS school if I knew I was going to receive a decent scholarship and I do not want to spend the money to interview if I know won't be getting any financial aid. So per my title, is it rude to ask prior to accepting the interview if I have a shot at receiving financial aid? My family is not poor and my application is not stellar (given that I did not receive this invite until February), so realistically I do not expect any help. My family keeps saying it doesn't hurt to ask... But does it?

Ask this at the interview--not prior to the interview.

It would most likely not be taken well if you issues an "ultimatum" for even attending the interview. This would be true in the business world, as well as with med school admissions.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't do this!!!

If you are accepted to this OOS school, since you have another acceptance both schools will learn that you hold multiple acceptances and one or both will likely offer you merit to help with their yield.

Don't do this!!!

If you are accepted to this OOS school, since you have another acceptance both schools will learn that you hold multiple acceptances and one or both will likely offer you merit to help with their yield.
Merely holding another acceptance does not give leverage.
A highly sought-after acceptee holding an acceptance at a higher ranked (or much cheaper school) has some room for negotiation at schools with a large endowment, though.

Reactions: 1 users