• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

can can

Aspiring psychiatrist!
2+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I am a premed and the only time I watched any medical dramas was when I watched scrubs and grays anatomy in middle school. Right now I kind of want to continue watching grays anatomy and also this new show the good doctor, but I am scared exposing myself to these dramatized renditions will give me a misperception of what medicine is and cause me to go in to medicine for the wrong reasons. Can I indulge myself in these dramas, or will its effects unavoidably bleed through? As background information, I plan on extensively shadowing and volunteering at a fred clinic. Just wondering if dramas will somehow poison my mind.

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Played Call of Duty since the first one. Haven't signed up with any military. Will be drafted in 2019 though.. fml
The media can influence you only if you let yourself.

About the Ads
Oct 1, 2017
New York
OOOOOOOOO, here's one:

OMG! Another person who got inspired to pursue medicine, a career where people's lives depend on you doing your job, by a TV show! Screw AMCAS, secondaries, and interviews and send them an acceptance right now!

EDIT: I got rejected from superhero school because I accidentally let it slip I started rewatching Superman The Animated Series, the 1978 Superman film and its sequel (the third and fourth films were just bad), Man of Steel, Batman VS Superman, and Justice League. I recommend you stop watching those medical shows now.

Last edited:

Microbug

2+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2016
The (not)-Greater NYC Area
Status
MD/PhD Student
OOOOOOOOO, here's one:

OMG! Another person who got inspired to pursue medicine, a career where people's lives depend on you doing your job, by a TV show! Screw AMCAS, secondaries, and interviews and send them an acceptance right now!

EDIT: I got rejected from superhero school because I accidentally let it slip I started rewatching Superman The Animated Series, the 1978 Superman film and its sequel (the third and fourth films were just bad), Man of Steel, Batman VS Superman, and Justice League. I recommend you stop watching those medical shows now.
This is too much sarcasm, ur first post was enough and on point

Goro

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I am a premed and the only time I watched any medical dramas was when I watched scrubs and grays anatomy in middle school. Right now I kind of want to continue watching grays anatomy and also this new show the good doctor, but I am scared exposing myself to these dramatized renditions will give me a misperception of what medicine is and cause me to go in to medicine for the wrong reasons. Can I indulge myself in these dramas, or will its effects unavoidably bleed through? As background information, I plan on extensively shadowing and volunteering at a fred clinic. Just wondering if dramas will somehow poison my mind.
I'm trying to ask this in the nicest possible way, but do you not understand the difference between fiction and reality?

tammyp

2+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
What whatever shows you want OP. When you get involved in the field through shadowing, volunteering and research, that will help you decide if medicine is a career you want to pursue. Abstaining from Grey's Anatomy won't make you want to be a doctor any more or less. Enjoy your life.

Not every post needs to be answered with sarcasm or turned into a condescending "teaching" moment.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Giving the side eye
Administrator
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
You shouldn’t watch The Good Doctor or Grey’s Anatomy. Not because they will influence you, but because they are terrible. Scrubs is legit though.

Dec 22, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
Scrubs is a great show (and was created by and based on actual doctors). The rest are overdramatized and silly in terms of medical reality (house comes to mind). As long as you see them as just that, entertainment, go ahead and enjoy. If the shows reflected reality, it would be a very boring show—rounding and charting in epic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

About the Ads

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Giving the side eye
Administrator
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Reactions: bioboy23

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Giving the side eye
Administrator
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Oh yeah it is. But it’s just so much more interesting than the rest, and the conditions are real. Just extremely rare lol. Everyone thinkin zebras, not horses.
Every once in a while, they will have a whole episode around an extremely easy to diagnose condition and make it seem like some crazy zebra.

About the Ads

bioboy23

2+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Every once in a while, they will have a whole episode around an extremely easy to diagnose condition and make it seem like some crazy zebra.
That’s true. And I hate that they literally do everything—surgery and all haha. Also, the patients crash like 4 times per episode.

Reactions: Matthew9Thirtyfive

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Giving the side eye
Administrator
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
That’s true. And I hate that they literally do everything—surgery and all haha. Also, the patients crash like 4 times per episode.
Yeah, although I have seen patients code multiple times. Doesn’t usually indicate good things.

getdown

7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Just watch the first 3 seasons of scrubs and it'll paint a much more realistic picture of residency training than any other stupid medical drama show out there. It paints a wonderful and truthful picture of the ethics, conudrums, social hierarchy and interactions, doctor-patient relationships that you experience as a traineee. The seasons after that start getting a little too silly for my liking.

raiderette

5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Grey's will make you scream when they lay off residents and general surgery resident dabbling in Ortho. Pick your escape any way you choose.

Oct 28, 2015
Status
Medical Student
House is completely absurd but I have to respect somebody who can make a successful TV show where every episode has the exact same plot for 8 seasons. I tried to watch an episode of Gray's Anatomy once but it was just pure, unadulterated trash. I tried to watch an episode of the Good Doctor and couldn't even make it through halfway, which is disappointing because Richard Schiff played one of my favorite TV characters of all time. Scrubs, I enjoyed.

Experiencing hospitals and the lives of doctors for real severely restricts your capacity for suspension of disbelief, so I don't really know if I'll ever be able to watch those types of shows.

raiderette

5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I didn't hate the ER show Code Black, since they tended to actually give patients over to other doctors. The Night Shift was ridiculous.

bioboy23

2+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2017
Status
Medical Student
If anyone wants to watch the worst medical movie ever produced, watch The Shift. Its on amazon prime video. Literally the worst thing I have ever seen. Nurses calling all the shots and running codes when the doc is in the room. And the nurse kills like 3 patients on purpose (in one night) because they were "in pain." Its insane but almost worth watching.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student
“Medical shows worth watching”:

1. MASH
2. Scrubs (not the last season)
3. Uhhh...that’s it I think.

I need to watch the Good Doctor because it looks awful and I want my anger about its awfulness to be justified

About the Ads

Pagan FutureDoc

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2015
Status
MD/PhD Student
Once you learn even a little bit about medical education and how hospitals actually function it can be a lot of fun to catch all the things they flub on for the sake of storytelling. I'd say you could make it a drinking game but i don't want anyone to die of alcohol poisoning.

dr_kateb

2+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Grey's Anatomy is traaash. I've only seen a few episodes of it and they were considered the "good" ones. Doctor kills patient she was dating and walks away with the elementary school equivalent of a timeout. I'd go as far as to say that if Grey's is the reason that you want to be a doctor, you'll never become one.

Scrubs on the other hand I think is pretty good - even season 9 (my opinion obviously). It doesn't take itself seriously.

Never got around to House or The Good Doctor. There's just that cringey quality to the trailers of The Good Doctor that kind of turned me off.

Reactions: OrthoTraumaMD

ChymeofPassion

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I'm pretty sure you have to list what TV shows you watch in your AMCAS so be careful what kind of message you give off, just my opinion though.

Ms Procrastinator

I have no idea what I'm doing
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2017
What I perceive as Hell.
Status
Pre-Medical
Grey's Anatomy is traaash. I've only seen a few episodes of it and they were considered the "good" ones. Doctor kills patient she was dating and walks away with the elementary school equivalent of a timeout. I'd go as far as to say that if Grey's is the reason that you want to be a doctor, you'll never become one.

Scrubs on the other hand I think is pretty good - even season 9 (my opinion obviously). It doesn't take itself seriously.

Never got around to House or The Good Doctor. There's just that cringey quality to the trailers of The Good Doctor that kind of turned me off.
The first episode where george was allowed to operate on a patient on his first day was wild. What was even more wild was when he messed up and burke just stood there waiting while the patient was dying.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Candor Chasma
Status
Academic Administration
I just noticed that ER is available on Hulu, (alas, not Netflix). There are some ethical gems presented in that show and some instances of art imitating life. There is an episode called "Love's Labor Lost" that is stunning.

Last edited:

ciestar

All grown up!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just noticed that ER is available on Netflix. There are some ethical gems presented in that show and some instances of art imitating life. There is an episode called "Love's Labor Lost" that is stunning.
That episode is excellent.

dr.grenouille

2+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2017
I absolutely love Private Practice, I mean just like all the other shows it only shows the rare, interesting cases and most of the focus is on the relationships between the drs and other staff, but it’s really lovely. Definitely not as fast paced though as some of the other shows because it takes place in a clinic rather than a hospital.

harkas

MD C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
May 2, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I plan to start Grey's and Scrubs this weekend!

ciestar

All grown up!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Watch M*A*S*H. You won’t regret it

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Candor Chasma
Status
Academic Administration
Wait, where on Netflix???
so sorry, I share too many subscription services with my family....
It is on Hulu. I'll fix my original post. Fifteen seasons are available and there is a free trial offer.

Reactions: Microbug

RNthenDoc

2+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I’ve found SCRUBS to be the most accurate and entertaining depiction of hospital life.

I sing the theme song if I walk in behind any new residents at the hospital.

Apr 27, 2017
What whatever shows you want OP. When you get involved in the field through shadowing, volunteering and research, that will help you decide if medicine is a career you want to pursue. Abstaining from Grey's Anatomy won't make you want to be a doctor any more or less. Enjoy your life.

Not every post needs to be answered with sarcasm or turned into a condescending "teaching" moment.
Thank you for this comment. The caustic remarks on SDN are what put me off these boards. I see no need for it

Reactions: DBC03 and tammyp

ArteryStudyPainting

Artery: The study of painting
2+ Year Member
May 25, 2016
Nay
Status
Medical Student
My thoughts. Medical shows are great and fun. But they are not an accurate representation of what medicine actually is.

People become EMTs/medics based on what they think it can be through the media and shows, etc. Then they get upset when it's not what they pictured. A code isn't ran into a hospital at 30 mph with the team yelling, "all right what do we have?!?!" I make fun of this constantly with my partner and we grab our cots by the siderails and pretend to run to the charge; the sad part is they usually get the joke from what they've seen in entertainment.

On-scene, EMS are always slow and methodical, never running faster than we can think of a good idea. Watching Chicago Fire and thinking we run into burning buildings everyday is grossly inaccurate and makes unassuming people go, "wow look at that I can do that!" Then is a big disappointment. And an even worse show.

Scrubs is my favorite, and is very helpful in life lessons. Sometimes though, it's just good fun! As for House, attempt anything he does and be prepared to be trashed by the committees, and don't assume you can pull the, "I'm god's gift; you can't fire me" because it no work in reality friend. I've seen a great paramedic get trashed because they made up vitals, and not trashed for this reason, but trashed because they sassed the medical director who then reviewed the medic's charts and found discrepancies.

The idea about shadowing and volunteering for me was to find out how medicine really is! If I hadn't, I wouldn't be able to challenge what I know to be silly or wrong in entertainment. For all I knew, without shadowing, volunteering, etc. to help educate me on what medicine is and isn't, Chicago Med would have taught me that ED docs receive the pt, work them up, round on them, perform surgery on them, manage post-op, discharge, and then see them later in the clinic for follow-ups!

Best to you! Good luck! Make sure everything you do is for the right reasons!

MonkeyArrow

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I've seen a great paramedic get trashed because they made up vitals, and not trashed for this reason, but trashed because they sassed the medical director who then reviewed the medic's charts and found discrepancies.
Slightly off-topic, but if he is making up vitals, maybe he is not such a great paramedic?

About the Ads