Is it still worth asking doctors to let you shadow them during a time like this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perchperkins

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question may seem silly but I guess it’s worth asking.
I’m an incoming sophomore premed student. In my freshman year I was just getting into volunteering but since COVID happened, we got sent home and the hospital suspended volunteering for a bit. Now that we are going back to college for the fall 2020 semester, the hospital is still allowing us to volunteer. However, I don’t have any hours shadowing. Should I still ask doctors to let me shadow them? I feel like before it was really hard to get doctors to shadow but now it will be impossible (and understandably so).
Let me know what you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

This question may seem silly but I guess it’s worth asking.
I’m an incoming sophomore premed student. In my freshman year I was just getting into volunteering but since COVID happened, we got sent home and the hospital suspended volunteering for a bit. Now that we are going back to college for the fall 2020 semester, the hospital is still allowing us to volunteer. However, I don’t have any hours shadowing. Should I still ask doctors to let me shadow them? I feel like before it was really hard to get doctors to shadow but now it will be impossible (and understandably so).
Let me know what you guys think.
Do what you can, when you can. You don't need a ton of shadowing hours (50 is plenty) and you have at least two years before you will be applying, so you have time and don't need to worry about it now if circumstances make it impossible.

We're starting to get med students back in the hospitals, so I don't think anyone would be super offended by your asking. They may say no for obvious reasons. Would avoid specialties getting hit the hardest by COVID (ER, pulm/critical care, etc), and you may have better luck in an outpatient setting. If you can't find anything, don't stress too much, everybody else applying with you will be in the same shoes.
Conquer that, my S will start once a week volunteer work at hospital outpatient clinic from next week, his ER volunteer rodeo still on hold. ECs are all over the map in terms of continuity and consistency in current environment, but it is what it is.