Is LECOM-Bradenton, Good or Bad School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

122206DO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I could really use your opinions here regarding LECOM-Bradenton. I've read some really negative comments about LECOM-Erie as well as some positive ones. I'm not sure if those comments can really be applied to Bradenton. I interview on Feb 9th and would like to know the impressions you have of the school. Are they organized? Does faculty seem committed to teaching? Facilities? Is there a good faculty-student relationship? Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't say there is really any such thing as a "bad" school, some are better than others though. Really, as long as you get good grades, understand the things you learn, and pass your boards... it makes no difference where you go to school. Go somewhere YOU like, and somewhere that it affordable to YOU... that's the best advice anyone will give you...

There are not hings as good or bad school...There are good and bad students...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I could really use your opinions here regarding LECOM-Bradenton. I've read some really negative comments about LECOM-Erie as well as some positive ones. I'm not sure if those comments can really be applied to Bradenton. I interview on Feb 9th and would like to know the impressions you have of the school. Are they organized? Does faculty seem committed to teaching? Facilities? Is there a good faculty-student relationship? Thank you guys!

I have been floating around SDN for a litte while now.

Unfortentaly I get the impression that there are a lot of problems with the Erie school. There have been several long threads about Erie's problems. I will not get into that.

However I have so far seen positive things about the Bradenton school. Keep in mind that Bradenton is a brand new school, so more information will surface as time goes by. And also keep in mind that the Erie school is also still quite new. They opened in 1993, and Brandenton in 2001.

Umm, Yes.

I am reluctant to even answer your questions as these threads have a tendency to turn ugly, and so many of your questions can be answered by doing a simple search.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=330685

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=297481

You might also find our Class of 2010 website to be a good resource - http://lecom-fl.dostudent.com/

I'd also recommend checking out some of scpod's posts - his posts are very well written and informative about LECOM-B.

Personally, I love being a student at LECOM-B. PBL is a great way for me to learn, and the faculty, particularly clinical faculty, are amazing. Our latest case was an acute MI, and our facilitator, a cardiologist of 30 years experience, spent several hours tutoring our small group of 8 people on how to approach the EKG! Almost to a person, I would say that the faculty and support staff are extremely supportive of students, and do a good job of keeping our lives organized and as stress free as possible.

LECOM-B is definitely not for everyone, though. They do a pretty good job of presenting the school to applicants, so keep your eyes and ears open at the interview and during your time on campus and you will probably have a good idea of how you feel about the school by the end of the day. Really think about PBL and how you will do without the structure of lectures - you will be doing a lot of textbook reading here. Also, think about the rules - dress code, attendance policy, and no food/beverage. Life is short, so if these things are going to ruin your time here, you should look elsewhere. Since we don't spend that much time on campus compared to lecture based programs, the rules haven't bothered me at all.

Good luck, feel free to PM with specific questions.

There have been several long threads about Erie's problems...However I have so far seen positive things about the Bradenton school.

Although they are connected, there are a lot of differences between the schools. That is to be expected, however, since evryone is in PBL. Things appear to be a little more "relaxed".

The most important thing to keep in mind, though, is that you have to be very self-motivated to succeed with PBL. On M, W and F you have a total of 2 hours where you are required to be at school. T and Th are different. Because of minicourses and OMM you spend more time there. But, you need to spend a whole lot of hours preparing outside of that. If you are a procrastinator, DO NOT GO to Bradenton.

That said, the staff bends over backwards to help you succeed. The administration listens to you and really wants your feedback on how things could be improved. They have mandatory meetings with your advisor each month, just to make sure that you are doing well. They pay for counseling services for people that have problems. They want you to succeed...period. They offer a pretty darned good program with ridiculously low tuition, but you have to very self-motivated.

This is probably the #1 school that I'm hoping to get into when it is time for medical school. The first big reason is because of location...(I live in B'ton), but the other reasons is that it is PBL which is curriculum that I think I will thrive on, and I've had the opportunity to actually talk 1:1 with a couple of students currently attending. One is in her first year and the other is in her second year...both tell me that they are enjoying their education although it does require a lot of self-discipline because their is a lot of independent study required. Yes, they have a dress code where professional dress is required, and they prohibit food/drink while in class. You are going to be a professional, so why not act the part...you'll have time to wear more comfortable scrubs when you are doing your clinicals/residencies...and at that point you'll be looking to wear more "normal" clothing. As for the food/drink policy, while I like to have a bottle of water around, I can totally understand their concerns. Nothing is more distracting than hearing someone eating while trying to understand an important concept...plus as you'll be using laptops most likely...do you want to run the risk of having someone spill their drink by your computer?

Wow! I wasn't expecting to write all of that...nonetheless, I think that LECOM-B is a good school choice!:thumbup:

Krisss17