Is Organic Chemistry II worth it? (poll)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is Organic Chemistry II worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 26.1%

• Total voters

Sephie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to gain some input on people's opinions of the difficulty, necessity, and content of Organic II. (Keeping in mind that the school I'm taking prereqs at does not require second semester organic for biochemistry).

If you only took OChem I, any regrets? Did you feel prepared for Biochem? MCAT?

If you took both, how would you rate the relative difficulty? If you could do it over again, would you recommend taking OChem II? Or just be done with it after OChem I?

I have to solidify my schedule for this semester by tomorrow, and am trying to evaluate taking OChem II or not. I've gone back and forth a lot and appreciate your feedback!

From what I can find online, OChem II is mostly the synthesis part of OChem I, except for more advanced? If this was a person's weakest part, is it best to avoid OChem II ("quit while you're ahead") and just apply to schools where it's not required?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't - you'll be shooting yourself in the foot for the MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you greatly limit yourself in school selection because you're worried about taking a class? You're going to be required to take much more difficult classes in med school.

Take it. Some schools still require it, plus as others have noted, the MCAT. I took the MCAT without organic chemistry II and only recall 1 question in regards to it. However, each test is different, and in hindsight, I was fortunate I didn't get many of those questions. I played Russian Roulette and won, but wouldn't do it again.

A) Orgo II was my favorite class of all time, so I'm extremely biased.
B) Several medical school require it, and you don't want to prematurely limit your options.

Reactions: 3 users
Why would you greatly limit yourself in school selection because you're worried about taking a class? You're going to be required to take much more difficult classes in med school.
Good question - I'm a nontrad, and I can afford one more year of prereqs, up to 2 classes each semester. Each semester after this is occupied with courses I must take, meaning this is my last "free spot" in my schedule to take any not-absolutely-required course (advanced biology, etc.). I'll likely not apply to many schools, and I have a pre-existing career path, so I'm not that concerned with limiting school selection. A lot of schools have recently changed their requirements to not require second semester organic. I also already have a decent grade in first semester, whereas second semester's grade is a risk. I'm clearly in a "hindsight is 20/20" situation, but I'm trying to make sense of the opportunity cost that is involved here.

Most of organic chemistry is actually Organic II. Organic I just teaches you the language of organic chemistry so that you can understand reactions and reactivity. You will also need to know carbonyl chemistry for biochemistry, although it's a very basic understanding you'll need.

I'll go ahead and say "no" and disagree with the other 15 people who answered the poll. At least, IMO it's not worth taking it now. Maybe later, but maybe not.

I was in your position as well, as a non-trad post-bac. I ended up not taking OChem2, and used that time for MCAT prep. Now I'm done with interviews, and go figure, 4 of my top choices require it... I do have a tiny tinge of regret because now I'm stuck taking this dumb class during Spring semester when I'd rather be off galavanting around the globe. but I would absolutely do it this way again all things considered. Having extra time to study for the MCAT was extremely helpful, and you really don't need this class to do well on it.

I say don't take it, spend the time on MCAT prep instead, and take the class next year if absolutely necessary (if you happen to fall in love with a school that requires it, etc).

For reference, I had no science background prior to the prereq's, finished up with a 4.0 sGPA / 519 MCAT, and a sizeable pile of II's.

Last edited:
I'll go ahead and say "no" and disagree with the other 15 people who answered the poll. At least, IMO it's not worth taking it now. Maybe later, but maybe not.

I was in your position as well, as a non-trad post-bac. I ended up not taking OChem2, and used that time for MCAT prep. Now I'm done with interviews, and go figure, 4 of my top choices require it... I do have a tiny tinge of regret because now I'm stuck taking this dumb class during Spring semester when I'd rather be off galavanting around the globe. but I would absolutely do it this way again all things considered. Having extra time to study for the MCAT was extremely helpful, and you really don't need this class to do well on it.

I say don't take it, spend the time on MCAT prep instead, and take the class next year if absolutely necessary (if you happen to fall in love with a school that requires it, etc).

For reference, I had no science background prior to the prereq's, finished up with a 4.0 sGPA / 519 MCAT, and a sizeable pile of II's.

Thanks so much for the honesty. I believe there's no "right" or "wrong" answer across the board, but I do think non-trads come from a different perspective, especially the emphasis on time. Congrats on the high marks, that is fantastic! Goes to show that the decision of taking a class is different from capability. I do have that opportunity of taking it in another year if absolutely needed, although of course not an ideal situation to be in (my prof says it gets more difficult the longer you're away from OChem 1?)...but on the other hand, it must be nice to have all that success and demonstrated interest from schools, and not have too much pressure going into the class. I'm sure there's much more success ahead for you. Best of luck.

Fair enough. I still believe that you'll want to take it for biochem, but worse case scenario is that if you get an acceptance at a school that requires it, you can always take it before you matriculate.

Reactions: 1 users
Fair enough. I still believe that you'll want to take it for biochem, but worse case scenario is that if you get an acceptance at a school that requires it, you can always take it before you matriculate.

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. I will keep in mind about biochem. I would rather have the time/money to take every possible prereq, but that's a luxury I don't have at the moment, so I am trying to optimize. I'm in "get it done" mode. How would you compare the intensity of OChem to biochem?

I found orgo II to be 10x easier than orgo I, which I struggled in. But that's just me. Most schools require it, so just take it and get it over with.

I found II to be exceptionally more difficult than I. My school required Orgo II as a prerec for biochem, but I'm glad they did as I felt like I understood biochem better because of it. I have always struggled in Chem and my orgo 1 & 2 grades are some of the grades I am most proud of.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

It definitely is harder to take OChem2 after a year-long break, but the nice thing about taking it post-acceptance is that it's basically pass/fail... I'll still aim for an A, but I won't kill myself to keep the 4.0 alive like I did during OChem1. If you're planning on an April/May MCAT, I feel really strongly that taking OChem2 this semester would be a mistake. June/July MCAT date I think you'd be alright.

You're going to be required to take much more difficult classes in med school.

18e112b07f875184d50b66cd318d4e92788551fc6f22c460af4fad02a1daf22b.jpg

It's true, one should probably be able to handle OChem2 and MCAT prep simultaneously, and med school will probably be even harder than that. But, if you have the ability to choose your schedule, why not set it up as advantageously as possible? Do everything you can to set yourself up for success now, and cross the med school bridge when you come to it IMO.