Is Orgoman Dat prep books worth the purchase?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dustyrose96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently looking for some books to help me prep for the DAT and I came across Dr. Romano's DAT destroyer and the Organic Chemistry Odyssey. I already have the DAT Math Destroyer and this book only has practice exams. Are the other Orgoman books the same or can anyone who has used these books before let me know what else they contain and if it's worth the buy? And if anyone has any experience with other DAT prep (specifically for Organic Chem), I would really appreciate the insight. Iv'e also heard about his classes in New York - any thoughts on those?

Members don't see this ad.

Really good books. More difficult than the actualt DAT but preps you well for the test. Buy them both.
You can start watching Chad Videos for organic and general chem. A god sent this man is!

Reactions: 1 users
DAT Destroyer is absolutely essential, there is no better book! It is not meant to be practice tests like Math Destroyer, just a bunch of practice problems. Destroyer sufficiently covers organic chemistry so you shouldn't have to get the Odyssey book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course it is. Based on my experience, the real DAT and destroyer are on the same level.

Reactions: 1 user
The best part about the Destroyer book is not the questions themselves but that they give you an idea of what you still don't know in order for you to go back and review those topics.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
DAT Destroyer is absolutely essential, there is no better book! It is not meant to be practice tests like Math Destroyer, just a bunch of practice problems. Destroyer sufficiently covers organic chemistry so you shouldn't have to get the Odyssey book.
Unrelated but Congrats on Penn Russel! Your notes were great fam

DAT destroyer and Math destroyer are the 2 best sources for DAT studying. Both are absolutely essential. I felt that destroyer covered orgo well enough for me to do well.

Perhaps if you have a weak background in orgo, the odyssey book could help. I'm sure it's a great resource to have on hand!

I can not stress enough how important DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer are for the Science section of the DAT. It will cover everything you need to know. Make sure to go over it multiple times. This is really really important.

It seems to be worth it, NOT ESSENTIAL.

I did completely fine without destroyer.

I wouldn't say it is essential but it is definitely a good source of practice problems, although the problems are way harder than the real DAT. For organic chem I would make sure to know everything in Chad's videos and datgenius's free organic chem notes before even attempting to do the problems in DAT Destroyer

I attribute my score (24) to the Destroyer almost completely.

I used it and really liked but I'm sure it's possible to do well without it depending on your background.

If you want to use as many resources as possible, I certainly recommend it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally NOT worth it. There are much cheaper and more efficient ways to prepare for this test, such as Chad's videos and Bootcamp. Destroyer is unnecessarily complicated, well beyond the scope of the DAT, and plain annoying.

Totally NOT worth it. There are much cheaper and more efficient ways to prepare for this test, such as Chad's videos and Bootcamp. Destroyer is unnecessarily complicated, well beyond the scope of the DAT, and plain annoying.

I will say though there is NO REASON for you to get the Math Destroyer add on. The Math Destroyer is unnecessarily complicated and not realistic in terms of the DAT. However, I used Chad's videos, Bootcamp, AND DAT Destroyer. I'd say it's essential to test your knowledge and fill the gaps.

The Destroyer is really good for Bio-- look at the answers and know why you got those questions wrong and know what each answer choice means and you will be golden. Same thing for Chem and Orgo. The Math Destroyer is excellent, albeit harder than the actual DAT. If you can do the Math Destroyer, you can do the DAT no problem. Definitely worth it!

The Destroyer is really good for Bio-- look at the answers and know why you got those questions wrong and know what each answer choice means and you will be golden. Same thing for Chem and Orgo. The Math Destroyer is excellent, albeit harder than the actual DAT. If you can do the Math Destroyer, you can do the DAT no problem. Definitely worth it!
Here's my issue with what I call "orgo man addiction." Big problem here on SDN. To say that the ability to do well on the math destroyer necessarily implies success on the DAT, is logically no different than saying that having a PhD in math implies an ability to do well on DAT math. Duh.... The real question is, is there what to gain from the destroyer series? I pretty strongly think the answer is no. Every question is a trick and is so beyond the scope of the DAT. If you want to learn material, watch videos such as chad, khan, anything else on YouTube, or read cliff notes for bio 3rd edition. If you want to practice, look no further than Bootcamp, which is a perfect reflection of the difficulty level and pace of the real DAT. The destroyer is an unnecessary waste of time. Obviously if you study hard enough to do well on destroyer, you'll be fine, but it's entirely unnecessary and stressful. Focus on cheaper materials which give you bang for buck and which accurately simulate the DAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Here's my issue with what I call "orgo man addiction." Big problem here on SDN. To say that the ability to do well on the math destroyer necessarily implies success on the DAT, is logically no different than saying that having a PhD in math implies an ability to do well on DAT math. Duh.... The real question is, is there what to gain from the destroyer series? I pretty strongly think the answer is no. Every question is a trick and is so beyond the scope of the DAT. If you want to learn material, watch videos such as chad, khan, anything else on YouTube, or read cliff notes for bio 3rd edition. If you want to practice, look no further than Bootcamp, which is a perfect reflection of the difficulty level and pace of the real DAT. The destroyer is an unnecessary waste of time. Obviously if you study hard enough to do well on destroyer, you'll be fine, but it's entirely unnecessary and stressful. Focus on cheaper materials which give you bang for buck and which accurately simulate the DAT.
Of course, by no means does having the Destroyer = 20+ on the DAT. Studying for and doing well on the DAT is hard work, and I certainly don't think any study material can completely prepare you for the test. After trying Chad's, Cliffs, Bootcamp, Kaplan, Princeton, etc. , I've deduced that for me, the Destroyer was the most efficient way to prepare for the DAT given time constraints, along with a few other materials. It's unfair to claim that the Destroyer is "the" single best thing to use for the DAT, but it's definitely worth checking out to see if it will help you. The best study materials are the ones that will help you achieve your desired score.

Buy it, you may be able to do well without it but I guarantee you will not regret using it. 'nuff said

Orgo destroyer along with Chads videos got me both 25+ on GC and Orgo

As others have said, I completely attribute my getting into dental school this cycle to the DAT Destroyer. I'm also a very non-trad applicant, with no prior experience in the sciences (outside of the post-bacc I completed to fulfill my dental school requirements), and Destroyer was the only resource I used for bio. I received a 22 on that section! The style and wording of the questions is comparable to what you'll see on the DAT. Destroyer is a must in my humble opinion!

I completely agree. I really don't understand the love for it on here. It's just some practice questions, questions that are overly complicated, and not good practice at actually taking the exam since they're not taken on a computer, with timers, etc. Is it okay practice? Sure, but expensive for what it is and I think your money is better spent on other resources. DAT Bootcamp, Crack the DAT, and Chad's Videos are all good.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently looking for some books to help me prep for the DAT and I came across Dr. Romano's DAT destroyer and the Organic Chemistry Odyssey. I already have the DAT Math Destroyer and this book only has practice exams. Are the other Orgoman books the same or can anyone who has used these books before let me know what else they contain and if it's worth the buy? And if anyone has any experience with other DAT prep (specifically for Organic Chem), I would really appreciate the insight. Iv'e also heard about his classes in New York - any thoughts on those?

Just my 2 cents. I did buy the DAT destroyer but I went through the chem sections and just thought it was overkill. The last thing I needed before the test was a morale crusher. Granted, if you can master those, you will sleep through the DAT's science section. But I thought DAT Bootcamp, QVault, and Chad's videos were more than enough. Just do EVERY single question in those and you'll do well on the DAT. And the DAT Destroyer has a nice set of bio and qr questions which you should definitely work on if you do buy the book. I just didn't have the time to master the Destroyer's chem/o-chem

DAT Bootcamp>Destroyer>Qvault (BIO/GC/OC) Go through everything atleast once. Many people go through multiple times, but I only had the time/effort to only go through once. Got a 23 AA

I think for me is was worth it for two sections, Math and Chemistry. I think it was not useful for organic chemistry and I don't know if it is useful for bio, PAT or reading since I didn't use it for those sections. I scored a 24 on the organic chemistry section, a 20 on general chem and 26 on math. Strangely, I'm really good at gen chem, solid at orgo, and I suck at math...so that tells you something about how random the DAT is.

I noticed orgoman was far more gimmicky and complicated than anything I saw on my actual exam for the orgo section, but for math and gen chem, it was pretty close to the tougher questions I saw on my exam. I think the best resources for organic chemistry is coursesaver along with the klein textbook chapter problems with solutions. Nothing on my exam fell outside the scope of those two resources. For math, I'd split my time between math destroyer and dat destroyer.

You can get all the destroyerbooks for less money on ebay if you check.

If you need some cheap books, I can give you mind. Toss me a pm if you're interested.

DAT Bootcamp>Destroyer>Qvault (BIO/GC/OC) Go through everything atleast once. Many people go through multiple times, but I only had the time/effort to only go through once. Got a 23 AA

This does not make sense to me - Destroyer is a part of Bootcamp. Can you really separate them? Or can you explain what you mean?

This does not make sense to me - Destroyer is a part of Bootcamp. Can you really separate them? Or can you explain what you mean?

Different products made by different people. Not the same at all.

I mean that you are instructed to use Destroyer in the 10 week Bootcamp plan.

I mean that you are instructed to use Destroyer in the 10 week Bootcamp plan.

DAT Bootcamp is a product that consists of the exams and the PAT generators. Monthly subscription.

DAT Destroyer is another separate product that has many problems for GC, OC, Bio, and QR.

The 10 week plan is something that the creator of Bootcamp came up with to help guide people in their studying for the DAT. It is not a part of Bootcamp or anything like that.

Just to settle any confusion.

Orgo and gchem are very helpful. Got 30 and 27 on those. Feralis notes is also good for bio. Got 26 on it