Is the number of LORs specific needed different for each DO school? How many do I need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naivePremed

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this may have been asked before, but I cant find this anywhere:

Is the number of LORs specific needed different for each DO school? How many do I need?
How many science LOR do I need and how many non-science LOR?
Can I include a LOR from a previous employer (Assistant Director at my college)?
I also will be having a committee letter from my school as well.

Thank you for any questions answered!

Members don't see this ad.

In general, you want to have at least 4 LOR's:
2 science (all require 1 science, some require 2)
1 non-science (most don't require this but some do so I would get it to be safe)
1 from a MD/DO physician (few require DO, all prefer DO, and I would go further and try to get 2 DO letters to show your commitment)

I didn't have a commitee letter so if it combines all your academic letters into one then it would take the place of the 1-2 science plus non-science letter. I would also include the letter from your previous employer.

I personally sent in 7 LOR's: 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 from an advisor to an organization I did a lot of work with, and 3 DO's.

Note: If you are sending them through AACOMAS, the maximum they accept is 6. I managed all my letters through interfolio so there would be no restrictions.

Yes, every school is different. Some need a DO letter, some don't.

Your best bet is to get 2 science prof. letters, your committee letter, and a DO letter from a shadowing experience. That should be enough for every school. More is always better, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
In general, you want to have at least 4 LOR's:
2 science (all require 1 science, some require 2)
1 non-science (most don't require this but some do so I would get it to be safe)
1 from a MD/DO physician (few require DO, all prefer DO, and I would go further and try to get 2 DO letters to show your commitment)

I didn't have a commitee letter so if it combines all your academic letters into one then it would take the place of the 1-2 science plus non-science letter. I would also include the letter from your previous employer.

I personally sent in 7 LOR's: 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 from an advisor to an organization I did a lot of work with, and 3 DO's.

Note: If you are sending them through AACOMAS, the maximum they accept is 6. I managed all my letters through interfolio so there would be no restrictions.
thank you that was very informative!

Yes, every school is different. Some need a DO letter, some don't.

Your best bet is to get 2 science prof. letters, your committee letter, and a DO letter from a shadowing experience. That should be enough for every school. More is always better, though.
thank you, I have to get to asking then. Do you think asking science professors from two years ago is ok? or from a class that I have retaken?

thank you, I have to get to asking then. Do you think asking science professors from two years ago is ok? or from a class that I have retaken?
Yes, as long as they still know you well enough to write you a high quality letter.

I submitted the max amount. But the schools I applied to only asked for 1 prof and 1 physician. So I had to specify which one they should look at in the secondaries.

I got into two schools so far with: 1 Science, 1 Non-Science, 1 Committee Letter, 1 DO, 1 MD, and 1 Extracurricular Supervisor

depends on if you'll be using AACOMAS or another lettering service. AACOMAS accepts up to six and all schools you designate on your primary will be able to see all six.

for schools that have specific requirements, such as a DO letter, they'll look for it within your six letters. some other schools which don't have specific requirements will just take the first however many they accept.

I recommend obtaining a committee letter and shadowing letter if possible.

If you send your letters of rec via AACOMAS, do you still need to send them directly to the college?