Is there still hope? Lived in a car

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j4079

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I began my college career as a child, getting kicked out my university for a year, and wound up living in a car for a few months. I left my university with a 2.488 GPA (mostly due to living in a car, but no excuses). The year away from my University I went to a community college and took 34 credits, all of which were As except for 4 credits in physics. Bummer. Now I am back at my university and am getting straight As. I calculated that if I continue to get As, with the wiggle room of 12 credits of Bs, I will end up with a 3.6. I am now currently a part of several university clubs and will begin volunteering at the ER by next month. (Obviously need to do well on the MCAT)

Is that good enough for decent MD schools? What else can I do to maximize my chances? Really wish I had a mentor, all advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

With an upward trend, if everything else is good, it shouldn't hold you back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds good, I'd say that looking forward, don't even have that wiggle room for B's there as it can easily lead you to be more complacent, but if you end up getting a B after all your effort, then give yourself a pass on it after the fact. Your plan right now should be all A's.

Sounds good, I'd say that looking forward, don't even have that wiggle room for B's there as it can easily lead you to be more complacent, but if you end up getting a B after all your effort, then give yourself a pass on it after the fact. Your plan right now should be all A's.
I appreciate your advice, I will definitely be aiming for perfect grades. Do you have any other advice on what I could do to increase my chances?

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

I appreciate your advice, I will definitely be aiming for perfect grades. Do you have any other advice on what I could do to increase my chances?

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile
Murder the MCAT. 515+.

Reactions: 1 user
When you say "kicked out of my university" do you mean you got an institutional action on your record? If so then that is likely to severely limit your ability to get accepted to a med school any time soon. If you just failed out of school b/c of housing that's one thing. On the other hand if you got kicked out for something like cheating, well then it's time to think about alternative plans.

3.6 is probably about 30th percentile for non-URM admits.

But that's fine...just make up for it with strengths elsewhere and apply broadly.

Not having stable housing does impact performance, but no one will care.
I think if he lists himself as " disadvantaged" , it'll offset the lower gpa. Some med schools love " Poor person overcoming odds/comeback stories"