This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfusedPremed244

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to know if a particular incident that occurred previously is institutional action or not? If it is a plan on reporting it to AMCAS, but I am unsure because it is a somewhat weird situation.

I attend a football school and live in a house off campus. For one football weekend I bought multiple kegs because my roommates 40+ person extended family was in town. We ended up not using one of the kegs, and stowed it away in a corner of one of the rooms in our house. A couple weeks later, as the keg was still there, when no one who lived there was home the keg was stolen out of our (unlocked) back door. It was frankly pretty stupid of us to be so careless to let this happen because we don't live in a great neighborhood. We also did not think to file a police report because of the nature of the item stolen (it was a keg I rented from a store - not a piece of my property like a TV). After much time had passed, and we did not find the keg (it wasn't somehow misplaced or anything - it was a full UNTAPPED keg), I received email from the university informing me that I had a inquiry meeting for potential disciplinary action. They found the keg (still full!) in the garbage closet of one of the dorms on campus, which was then found by dorm staff. I have no idea how it got there, or who took it, but it was somehow found there. I didn't even know anyone who lived in the building, so it was truly odd. In response to this situation, I was not punished, except I am not allowed into said dorm until after I graduate as a result of this incident. No other punishment was incurred.

Does this qualify as institutional action? If so, when I report it will medical schools look on it negatively because of the nature of the quantity of alcohol in a keg and the irresponsibility on my part from keeping my house safe? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If the keg was stolen, how did they know it was yours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Um what?
1. Are you 21?
2. Why would you be punished, and not the thief?

Um what?
1. Are you 21?

I was 22 at the time of the incident. And they were not punished because we never found out who did it. I was punished because a keg with my name on it was in the dorm. According the my university this promotes an unsafe community of abusive drinking and I am responsible because the keg was under my name.

Main point being, I had a disciplinary meeting with the Office of Community Standards. I had to write a reflection about the event and was banned from the dorm in question. But as I said, none of this appears on my transcript in any way.

I was 22 at the time of the incident. And they were not punished because we never found out who did it. I was punished because a keg with my name on it was in the dorm. According the my university this promotes an unsafe community of abusive drinking and I am responsible because the keg was under my name.

I feel like whoever stole it lived in the dorm room..I doubt this is an IA though. But even if it is, it alone would not be lethal for your app.

I feel like whoever stole it lived in the dorm room..I doubt this is an IA though. But even if it is, it alone would not be lethal for your app.

Yeah I assume so, but regardless no one was able to figure it out who it was. Thank you for you input.

@LizzyM @Goro Would you be aversive to admitting someone with such an IA on their app? Does this qualify as an IA in your eyes?

Last edited:
Were you helping a bunch of underage kids to acquire a keg by leaving your house unlocked and a keg just lying around? Or were you the victim of a crime that you did not report to the police. There is something fishy about the story...
some schools may think it is not a big deal, others may think that you are irresponsible or worse. Apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
Were you helping a bunch of underage kids to acquire a keg by leaving your house unlocked and a keg just lying around? Or were you the victim of a crime that you did not report to the police. There is something fishy about the story...
some schools may think it is not a big deal, others may think that you are irresponsible or worse. Apply broadly.
would college age Lizzy report a missing keg probably worth 50 bucks to the cops?

Thank you for your input. It was the latter. No there was no intent to have the keg taken by underage kids. Also with the keg being found in the dorm still full no underage kids could have drank any of it. When the university investigated the situation they were initially suspicious of that as well and that was initially one of the sanctions because the story raises red flags, but the disciplinary office determined that was not the case upon investigating.

The keg was stolen out of the unlocked backdoor. I have no idea how it got to campus and got into the dorm, or why it took a while to be found unused. It was a very odd situation. We did not report it the the cops because a) it took us a couple days to conclude that it must have been stolen (because we thought it would be absurd for someone to actually pull that off) and b) due to it being a keg (not exactly valuable; we live in a rough area and the police are already pretty strained for their time).

@LizzyM I accept responsibly and intend to apply broadly, so thank you. In hindsight I should have notified the cops and been more responsible in ensuring my house was locked. Based on your response, I'm assuming you believe this qualifies as an IA? I am unsure due to the mixed responses on this thread and the unusual nature of the situation. Also, you mentioned what some schools may think. Do you mind if I ask your personal opinion on the matter?

Last edited:
My opinon does not matter. You must make an inquiry to your school officials as outlined in the AMCAS instruction manual and report it as an IA if your school considers it an IA.

PS: long ago, my brother who was underage (and the drinking age was 18 at the time) purchased a keg using his older brother's ID. When the cops showed up, he and his HS friends abandoned the keg in a city park. The cops traced the keg to the store, got the name of the person who purchased the beer (you buy the beer but only rent the keg) and the cops called my dad, who had the same name as our older brother, asking what he knew about a keg in the park! Hilarity did not ensue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Um what?
1. Are you 21?
On a side note, school's are absolutely dinguses with IA's.

My roommate (back when I dormed) got busted over the weekend with alcohol. He's underage, and so were his friends. I was 21 at the time, and I actually left town to study back at home during this weekend. I came back, got an email asking for an IA meeting, and they had a "stern talking" with me, and said if it happened again, I'd be written up. No, they didn't care that I was legally allowed to drink. No, they didn't care that I wasn't there.

I was pretty polite at the time, but looking back on it, I should have LOL'd in their faces and told them to go pound sound.

Reactions: 1 users
My opinon does not matter. You must make an inquiry to your school officials as outlined in the AMCAS instruction manual and report it as an IA if your school considers it an IA.

PS: long ago, my brother who was underage (and the drinking age was 18 at the time) purchased a keg using his older brother's ID. When the cops showed up, he and his HS friends abandoned the keg in a city park. The cops traced the keg to the store, got the name of the person who purchased the beer (you buy the beer but only rent the keg) and the cops called my dad, who had the same name as our older brother, asking what he knew about a keg in the park! Hilarity did not ensue.

Hahaha I appreciate the very relatable story! I am sure your dad was not amused at the time. In my case, the keg was actually bought for my and my roommate's families (large families - many aunts and uncles) who were in town for a football weekend! It's actually funny you say that, because when I went back to the store to talk with them, I told them I was the person who had the keg that was returned to them by the cops. Apparently all of the store workers had been talking about me and wondering who I was. They proceeded to ask me many questions about what happened and how it happened. Unfortunately, I did not have most of the answers and was wondering many of the same things about what exactly happened.

Also, I think there is a pretty high likelihood that I will be applying to your school (I recall you saying it had a 519 median MCAT somewhere as I was lurking). If you at some point within the next number of months see this story run across your desk I hope you remember me!

On a side note, school's are absolutely dinguses with IA's.

My roommate (back when I dormed) got busted over the weekend with alcohol. He's underage, and so were his friends. I was 21 at the time, and I actually left town to study back at home during this weekend. I came back, got an email asking for an IA meeting, and they had a "stern talking" with me, and said if it happened again, I'd be written up. No, they didn't care that I was legally allowed to drink. No, they didn't care that I wasn't there.

I was pretty polite at the time, but looking back on it, I should have LOL'd in their faces and told them to go pound sound.

I have heard similar stories at my school. It is a relatively strict school, so there are often people who are upset over similar issues. However, I think my case is a little different because I definitely could have locked up the house or called the cops to inform them of the stolen property. Unfortunately, I did not think to do either of those things at the time.

Last edited:
If you have to report this as an IA, you might specify the volume of the keg (how many liters it holds) and the retail value. If it was the equivalent of someone snatching a couple six-packs of your back porch, it might seem more reasonable that you would not be reporting such a minor crime to the cops.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have to report this as an IA, you might specify the volume of the keg (how many liters it holds) and the retail value. If it was the equivalent of someone snatching a couple six-packs of your back porch, it might seem more reasonable that you would not be reporting such a minor crime to the cops.

Thank you. It was a half barrel and worth more than a few six packs (~$70 of beer). But this cost was also split among the four (I have three housemates) of us and our families. Like I said, we absolutely should have reported it in hindsight because there was no reason not to, but we did not report it at the time.

I bet the keg was still full because it was stolen by a bunch of freshmen who couldn't figure out how to tap it

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you. It was a half barrel and worth more than a few six packs (~$70 of beer). But this cost was also split among the four (I have three housemates) of us and our families. Like I said, we absolutely should have reported it in hindsight because there was no reason not to, but we did not report it at the time.
Just be aware that a half barrel is like 170 beers

That's what I find amazing. A half barrel is a seriously large quantity and weighs quite a bit. It is not one of those "beer balls" that holds like 14 beers.

(You now know that LizzyM knows more about beer that you imagined. You might not know that she once tapped a keg while wearing a toga.)

Reactions: 2 users
That's what I find amazing. A half barrel is a seriously large quantity and weighs quite a bit. It is not one of those "beer balls" that holds like 14 beers.

(You now know that LizzyM knows more about beer that you imagined. You might not know that she once tapped a keg while wearing a toga.)
LizzyM knows how to get down

Sounds like a good story to have in the back pocket, should you embellish it a bit.

Hello,

I would like to know if a particular incident that occurred previously is institutional action or not? If it is a plan on reporting it to AMCAS, but I am unsure because it is a somewhat weird situation.

I attend a football school and live in a house off campus. For one football weekend I bought multiple kegs because my roommates 40+ person extended family was in town. We ended up not using one of the kegs, and stowed it away in a corner of one of the rooms in our house. A couple weeks later, as the keg was still there, when no one who lived there was home the keg was stolen out of our (unlocked) back door. It was frankly pretty stupid of us to be so careless to let this happen because we don't live in a great neighborhood. We also did not think to file a police report because of the nature of the item stolen (it was a keg I rented from a store - not a piece of my property like a TV). After much time had passed, and we did not find the keg (it wasn't somehow misplaced or anything - it was a full UNTAPPED keg), I received email from the university informing me that I had a inquiry meeting for potential disciplinary action. They found the keg (still full!) in the garbage closet of one of the dorms on campus, which was then found by dorm staff. I have no idea how it got there, or who took it, but it was somehow found there. I didn't even know anyone who lived in the building, so it was truly odd. In response to this situation, I was not punished, except I am not allowed into said dorm until after I graduate as a result of this incident. No other punishment was incurred.

Does this qualify as institutional action? If so, when I report it will medical schools look on it negatively because of the nature of the quantity of alcohol in a keg and the irresponsibility on my part from keeping my house safe? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Why would someone chill in the dorms after they graduate haha #5thYears

Just be aware that a half barrel is like 170 beers

Oh I know. It's very heavy. It takes two of us to transport it. And I am very aware of the amount, as we were requested to get a lot of beer for the ample extended family at our house for the football weekend.

Exactly! That's why we were so astounded when it got stolen, and even more surprised when it was later found in the dorm because the dorm is ~10 blocks from our house. As frustrating as it is that it happened, its honestly impressive for whoever pulled it off. Also, I don't think I have ever tapped a keg while in a toga. Go you!

I guess your institution will need to tell you if it was an IA or not.

Yep! I'm in the process on talking with them now. Hopefully I'll know more soon.

Also, thank you again everyone for taking the time to respond to this thread. It has been very helpful and I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Pics or it didn't happen!
;)

Reactions: 2 users