ISU CVM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitefang2012

Iowa State CVM '12
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey...so I've finally made my decision and am accepting a spot at ISU! Couldn't find a thread for the school so I've decided to start one so that maybe we can all get to know each other briefly before the orientation? I'm guessing alot of the instate people will probably know one another...but I know they have 40+ OOS spots (one of which is now me!).

So, I guess everyone can share a bit about themselves and maybe help each other finding a place to live, paperwork (although Brenda is oh so helpful with everything) and stuff like that!

Guess I'll go first:

I'm from Moscow, Russia and moved here when I was 4 and a half to New Haven, CT then moved to the Bronx then Brooklyn in NY. Moved back to CT to Westport for the end of middle school and for high school. Finished college in 3 years at Hofstra University in Long Island, NY with a B.S. in Bio. Moved to Hollywood, FL 2 years ago because of the job I had at the time, but haven't actually spent too much time down there. Have taken the past year off to do all the exams and apply - did a two month internship at an exotic animal sanctuary in middle of nowhere, FL and then got a job at Cold Spring Harbor Labs in Long Island once again. Don't know why I keep going there, never even liked Long Island! :laugh: But I broke my hand and decided that I hated the job and so I am quitting tomorrow and will be going back to my old job at an import/export business because they pay well and I need to be saving!

As for pets, I have an 11 y/o GSD - with a torn knee ligament, lupus, and lyme. So much for being called "Lucky". And as I explained before on a different thread, his long German name (sire from germany) started with an L and I was pressed for time and not as creative as a 10 year old. :D I love him to bits and will be sad to leave him with my parents when I go (he'd be heartbroken to leave the only home he ever knew and both of my parents).

I'm super excited to be going to Iowa, even though I've never lived in such a small town (NY suburbs aren't tiny...). I loved the school when I visited, the people there seem really nice, and I chose the school because frankly - there wasn't anything I didn't NOT like about it!

So that's all bout me for now - just so you guys know, I started a 2012 class on facebook for ISU if you guys want to join there!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey whitefang, I am going to ISU too! Could you post the link for the facebook group you made, I'm having trouble finding it.

As for me, I am graduating in 2 weeks!! with a BS in animal science and pathobiology. I have lived in CT my whole life, so Iowa is going to be a huge change, although I'm really excited.

I will be bringing along my two rats and two turtles, and possibly my horse. I am unfortunately leaving behind by dog and cat, as my parents have promised to disown me (somewhat jokingly I believe) if I take them, plus it would be unfair to them to move them from a house to whatever apartment I get out there.

I'm glad some other SDN'ers are going to Iowa too!
Anyone looking for a roommate?

Yey :) I thought I was gonna be the only one!

The facebook group is... http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15802030058

Where you from in CT? I lived in Westport for 6 years - and am actually probably living here until I move to Iowa/might live in Boston for 2 months before I go to Iowa.

I don't know about what I will be doing for housing there - I know there are trailer parks behind the school and that it's mostly worth it to invest and buy one for four years and then sell at the end. They say you get pretty much all your money back and only pay for utilities and what not. I've been looking at the housing list for now. I can't decide if I want to live alone or gamble on a roommate. I loved having a roommate in undergrad...but I also enjoyed living alone. Although, studying was always funner with a friend. So, I'm still deciding.

I don't know why the group isn't coming up in search even for me...I'm gonna go try to figure that out now. I'm perhaps a bit over-excited to meet the people I will be seeing for the next four years! :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I was indecisive about the housing situation to, as I've had some pretty bad living situations. I think I will be having a roommate however cause it will be a little less lonely/give me someone to study with. I figure might as well the first year, then I can always live alone my second year if I prefer. Of course, if I find a great situation for a 1 BR place I may cave and do that. I'm trying to decide if I should fly out there before committing to a place. While I would prefer to do that, its pretty expensive and I would have to take time off work, so I'm still debating that. I will be bringing my 2 rats and 2 turtles, so I'll need a place that lets animals :)

Have you gotten info about your student email yet?

I will be bringing my 2 rats and 2 turtles, so I'll need a place that lets animals :)

I was going to say that if I get in, maybe we can talk about being roomies... until I saw you have 2 rats - I have a corn snake! :laugh: Just kidding, he's much too small to eat a rat... for now, anyway! :p

Nope - no info on student email. Cuz im off the waitlist im sending out my deposit tomorrow (check issues) in time for my may 6th deadline.

As for living, I figure I will get a 2 bedroom trailer by the school - they say they have a good return and you can even make some money cause of inflation. I figure I will make one of them my study room - and my bf is supposed to transfer for spring and move in with me. If he doesn't I may consider a roommate in the other room for the 2-4 years depending on if I feel lonely. However, they allow dogs - so I know at least I'll have the company of the puppy I get.

I want to adopt, but I dont want to go through the trouble of agitating my 11 yr old GSD for 2 months. If they get attached, I'll feel horrible seperating them. And if it doesnt work out I know that I would have to give hte puppy back. Im in the plans of working out a sublease outside Boston for the 2 and a half months beforehand, and the guy is ok with it, but I sitll have to break the puppy news to him and see if he accepts. Otherwise, we'll have to see. Stressful!!!! I want to have time to train him and bond over the summer before class begins. I'm thinking of a 6-8 month old so that hes not a baby but still young...but my heart just goes out to all the dogs when I search for one to adopt. We will have to wait and see.

Hmm...I really ramble dont I? :oops: Oops. Just got alot on my mind I guess...

I was going to say that if I get in, maybe we can talk about being roomies... until I saw you have 2 rats - I have a corn snake! :laugh: Just kidding, he's much too small to eat a rat... for now, anyway! :p

Haha, as long as you don't put the snake in the cage with the rats we should be fine. The rats are little terrors anyways, so they may win :) They've eaten clothes, all the buttons on my remote, mp3 charger cords, I could go on but its a bit depressing, haha. Well, they don't actually swallow them, just destroy.

Well, I'm already rooting for you to get in, when are you going to call next to find out the status?

Anyways, if you do get in and need a roommate, let me know :)

P.s. do you find live or frozen?

Haha, as long as you don't put the snake in the cage with the rats we should be fine. The rats are little terrors anyways, so they may win :) They've eaten clothes, all the buttons on my remote, mp3 charger cords, I could go on but its a bit depressing, haha. Well, they don't actually swallow them, just destroy.

Well, I'm already rooting for you to get in, when are you going to call next to find out the status?

Anyways, if you do get in and need a roommate, let me know :)

P.s. do you find live or frozen?

I actually think rats and mice are cute. It's just that my snake has to eat something and, well, those tiny mice are pretty convenient! I feed him frozen ones because I'm paranoid that the mice would attack him (even though they're only fuzzies at this point, lol). Corn snakes do pretty well with frozen mice, but I hear most ball pythons will absolutely refuse frozen mice. This next sentence might get a little graphic, so beware... This girl in a few of my undergrad classes had a ball python, and one time I heard her telling a story about how she would stun the mice she fed her snake by smacking them against her counter! :eek: How inhumane and just down right disgusting is that?! Ugh.

Anyway, I tried to call Brenda today to ask if she got an email I sent her about my contact info, but she didn't answer. I'll probably try her again tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find out - thanks for rooting for me! :D

I was hoping you'd say frozen :). I find nothing wrong with feeding snakes mice/rats, as thats what they were made to eat. I just think its humane to do frozen. We had a herp vet come to one of my classes and he showed us a bunch of pics of snakes that had gotten chunks chewed out of them by the rats/mice cause they weren't hungry yet. Also, I feel bad for mice/rats as its gotta be terrifying if the snake doesn't eat them right away, to have to be in a cage with something thats gonna eat them.
Disclaimer: I know in the wild the snakes eat live, but thats just my preference for captive. I have heard of some snakes that will only eat live in captive, in which case, at least the owner tried frozen.

Anyways, I had to call Brenda a few times with questions, and found I could only reach her from like 4:30 or 5 o'clock on I think, Eastern time.

I was hoping you'd say frozen :). I find nothing wrong with feeding snakes mice/rats, as thats what they were made to eat. I just think its humane to do frozen.

Anyways, I had to call Brenda a few times with questions, and found I could only reach her from like 4:30 or 5 o'clock on I think, Eastern time.

I agree with feeding frozen (obviously). I've heard that a bunch of mice are gassed together and are killed rather quickly, then they're frozen to be sold.

Right after I posted, I tried to call Brenda again, but she didn't answer. :( I can usually reach her in the morning, usually before 11 or noon Eastern time.

Oh, and does anyone know if Iowa has a deferred admissions policy? I've recently just started grappling with the idea that if I do get accepted, I might defer admission (if I can) until next year. On one hand, I'm clearly anxious to get accepted to and start vet school! On the other hand, however (you all probably know my story by now :laugh:), I made the back-up plan that if I don't get accepted this year, I'll just move up to Boston and live with my bf for a year (he's going to school up there). Well, while I was getting bummed about probably not getting into vet school this year, I was really looking forward to living with my bf and getting a cool research job for a year... UNTIL I found out that the Iowa WL is moving MUCH faster than expected, which is awesome... but at the same time, I just adjusted to the idea of moving to Boston for a year (aren't these WL's a brainf**k?!). So, while there's obviously still no guarantee that I'll get in off the WL, even if it is moving quickly, I can't help to think that I might be able to defer for a year and move to Boston during that time... getting the best of both worlds, if you will. At the same time, though, I'm battling with myself, thinking that if I get in, wouldn't it seem really ridiculous that I didn't go right away?! In the end, I know it's something that I need to figure out for myself. I guess I just think that since my bf and I have been going long-distance for a year and will have to keep doing it for at least 4 more years, it would be nice to have that one year before school to be with each other... but I don't want that to be my only reason why I would defer! Like I said, I know I could also have an awesome research job, save some $, etc... but at the same time, I want to go to vet school asap! But, what's another year if I know for sure I could defer until the following year?

Okay, this post is really long now and I could keep chasing my tail here, so I'm going to stop now! Clearly I have a knack for rambling! :laugh: ANYWAY, I'll call Brenda again tomorrow!

Unless things have changed since last year, Iowa State CVM will only defer for grad school or military obligations.

Good luck!!

I just posted this in another thread, but I wanted to update on this one, too! I got in touch with Brenda today and they're at #84! :eek: Only 6 people are ahead of me! At this rate, who knows?! *crossing fingers and toes* :luck:

has anyone started to search for housing yet?? i'm lost ....

Hello,

I am a male student looking for a roomate. I live in a house that is about a 25 min walk from the vet school. Rent is 350/month plus 1/2 utilities.

Also, a 2BR house next door to mine just came up for rent. It has a fenced in back yard. Landlord allows pets but no cats. email me for details [email protected]

Hi Everyone...

I am really really interested in applying/attending ISU (this cycle is my first application cycle!) but I have had a hard time getting info about the school/town on SDN.

So I am turning to you, the newest members of ISU CVM, to find out WHY you chose Iowa for your DVM degree!!!!

I am really curious to hear what you like about the school, what you are most looking forward to, etc. Also if any of you are already there I'd love to hear about what it's like moving to a small town like that!

Okay :D I'm looking forward to anything you can tell me about ISU!

Hi Everyone...

I am really really interested in applying/attending ISU (this cycle is my first application cycle!) but I have had a hard time getting info about the school/town on SDN.

So I am turning to you, the newest members of ISU CVM, to find out WHY you chose Iowa for your DVM degree!!!!

I am really curious to hear what you like about the school, what you are most looking forward to, etc. Also if any of you are already there I'd love to hear about what it's like moving to a small town like that!

Okay :D I'm looking forward to anything you can tell me about ISU!

Well, I was going to just PM you, but I figured other applicants may benefit from this thread!

First of all, here are two helpful links for some basic info: the link to ISU CVM website - http://www.vetmed.iastate.edu/ and the link to the city of Ames, IA website - http://www.cityofames.org/ (you could, of course, also Google the vet school or Ames to find more info!).

As for applying there, like many other people, I applied to schools where I could possibly see myself living and met the pre-reqs for. I was pretty intrigued that there actually is a vet school in Iowa, and after reading more and more info about the school, it sounded like a great program (however, I don't think you can really go wrong going to any vet school in the states!).

Iowa was the first school I interviewed at, and I still can't tell if it just left that big of an impression on me that the other two schools I interviewed at just didn't seem to impress me as much, or if I was just a little biased! :p Don't get me wrong, like I mentioned before, any vet school in the states would be worth your while. However, I just felt like I clicked with Iowa. My interview day went very smoothly and everything was very organized. Faculty and students were so friendly and approachable. The dean of the vet school even went out in the parking lot to scrape ice off of people's cars! :eek: Many renovations are occurring at the school - some of which are already finished and some of which are still in progress. It was constantly stressed how close-knit students and faculty are and how much students help each other out. Also, I'm pretty certain I want to specialize in pathology, and Iowa has one of the highest passing rates on the ACVP national board test.

I don't know how happy I'll be with Iowa in the winter time (haha), but I think a different climate and smaller town will appeal to me. I grew up in an urban part of Florida, so I will be very unfamiliar with the weather and vibe of Ames, but I think it will be a very good experience for me. It will be difficult to adjust, but I am ready for a big change! I think I will have a great 4 years and meet a lot of great people! Once you get the whole stereotypical view of Iowa out of your head (you know, "Why would you want to live in the middle of nowhere with corn and pigs?!" thing), you realize that Ames is just like any other small town USA. Plus, you will receive a quality education at any vet school, and Iowa is no exception!

I didn't get to see too much of Ames when I interviewed last year because there was a terrible ice storm. I will be going up there next month to check out housing, and will be able to evaluate the town a lot better! I hope my post helped you out and I really hope you choose to apply to Iowa - feel free to PM me with any further questions and maybe I'll even see you next year! :)