It's over.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raimes

Third time is NOT a charm
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I can post this here... but honestly will I ever get in with a GPA lower then a 3.4?

I think I'm done trying to get into vet school... I think it's hopeless.

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Less than a 3.4 isn't a deal breaker GPA. There are several people on SDN who got in with that GPA or lower. Just make sure you look at the GPA requirements for the schools you apply to and make sure you kick butt on the GRE. You should be fine.

There is more to an applicant than their GPA. Mulitple people over the years on these forums have gotten in with a lower GPA...I'd suggest looking at the last few years acceptance threads where individuals post their stories and stats.

You could also apply to schools that place more emphasis on other aspects of the application. This may include less of an emphasis on cum GPA/science GPA/last 45 credit GPA, etc, in an effort to play up your strengths (or not emphasize your weaknesses).

Find out in the post mortem reviews WHY your not being accepted. Use the adcom's advice and apply it so that the next year you can blow them away whether that be a higher GRE score, success in upper level science courses, a masters degree in an area that pertains to your scientific interests, or gotten research/large animal/public health/exotic/(insert whatever your lacking in experience here).

The point being: a lower GPA is not an end all, be all situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied this year, I'm still waiting .. I know I should look around I just thought I would be attractive, because of the enormous amount of large animal experiance but I'm finding that I'm just another fish in the pond, plus my GRE's aren't all that great, I'm not a good test taker.

Sorry I'm just busting in here and freaking out. I haven't been able to talk to anyone about all these things, as I am one of the only people I know around, who is applying to vet school.

Where would I go to find out about distance learning courses, do you guys think they would be unwanted, I was thinking about re-taking the courses which I didn't do awesome in.

Is the 3.4 the result of a steady B/A average? Or is it the result of a few killers that you got C-, etc. in?

If below a 3.4 rules you out, then I'm done for as well. But there's no throwing in the towel for me... this will happen, someday, somehow. The only way to guarantee that you WON'T get in to vet school is by not applying.

Just be aware that distance classes can be incredibly difficult/problematic. I have completed 4 in the past year with three 4.0's and one 3.3 and I can honestly say each course took 2-3x the amount of effort of my on campus courses. There is, in my experience, very little guidance on what is important to study for the exams with everything in the text, and things not in the text and never covered in the course all fair game in exams. For example, in the course I earned a 3.3 (second highest grade in the class) every question I missed on every exam involved terms that were not in our text book or in any of the supplemental readings or in any of the optional texts (there weren't class notes or lectures.) In another course, the prof actually said, in lecture, that there wouln't be any questions about clotting factors. The video of the class was 3 years old. A 15 point question on our exam asked for a detailed explanation of all the biochemical processes and components of clotting. In the same class, one video had no sound, 3 were difficult to hear, and 2 had image issues (camera tilted so that all you saw was the floor.) Online/distance learning can be difficult.

Having said all that, it may be worth it to try. Other challenges I have experienced involve internet policy (if there is any sort of failure of your connection, it is your problem, even if it is in the middle of an exam, and even if the issue is with the school's server) so your grades/GPA are vulnerable to technology issues, and another challenge with some courses I considered were strict proctoring requirements (such as specific testing centers or admins of a local college, which weren't options for me.) So learn everything you can about the class before you sign up.

What have the reviews of your application revealed? Could volunteering with vet organizations like World vet help? Could getting a greater variety of experiences help? Greater animal experience?

I feel like you and I are in the same boat. I am also getting extremely discouraged. I am looking into master's programs, because I just don't think the vet school thing is going to work out.

It's a shame that GPA holds such a high value, because people with a lot of experience (like you and me) have just as much to offer. But this is the easiest way for the adcoms to make cuts, so that's how they do it.

Have you applied to Ross? I just submitted my application and I am hoping for the best. Some of the best doctors I know went to Ross. It's 2 1/2 years there then 1 year in the states.

Now, now, don't you go getting all discouraged right before Christmas! I just got into Ross with a 2.8 science GPA and overall 3.31 GPA. My GRE scores were fine, not great, but not terrible. Believe me, I have felt like you, but like twelvetigers said (paraphrasing here), you gotta play to win!

Raimes:
did you just finish reading The Little Engine that Couldn't: A Pessimist's Story?
Because you are being Debbie Downer! Turn that :( upside down, it's not over till it's over!!

But seriously, there's plenty of people who got in with low GPA's. Since you can't really change it without taking classes over or doing more school, just strengthen the other parts of your application and make sure they are solid. Try looking into schools that have less emphasis on the grades when accepting students.

I have no idea what my GPA is. I go to a university where an 85 is an A- :p. I was talking to my friend last night, and his sister, who graduated with me and went to an agricultural college... well, her lowest mark was an 88 and the rest of her marks were in the 90s... plus, she was working at a vet clinic over the break. It was pretty discouraging.

Thank goodness my dream vet school is in the caribbean :p

I got into my both my IS and several OOS schools last year, with a 3.35. Find the thread from last year where everyone posted their stats post acceptances and you'll find people with all ranges of GPAs.

Schools do look at the whole picture, I'm proof!

Is the 3.4 the result of a steady B/A average? Or is it the result of a few killers that you got C-, etc. in?

Just wondering, which would be worse? If your GPA was lower because you got more B's, or because of a few classes that were terrible, but higher grades in everything else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering, which would be worse? If your GPA was lower because you got more B's, or because of a few classes that were terrible, but higher grades in everything else?

I don't know if it's a 'better or worse' situation, I just think addressing the issues would have different strategies for both. (i.e. not retaking classes you got a B in versus a C- or something).

I got into my both my IS and several OOS schools last year, with a 3.35.
Which OOS schools? I can't even land an interview at any OOS schools due to my GPA (3.3 at time of application; 3.4 after fall grades).

Edit: Or well, I guess it's my GPA. I have a ton of experience (and varying, too) so I don't think it's that. Pretty sure my GPA is the weakest part of my application.

Great... :( Connecticut only JUST got a contract with Iowa this year.. I wish I had IS state school.

Last edited:
It's not over until the *gender neutral* opera singer with the BMI of >30 sings.

Now go b*itch-slap yourself and stop being a Debbie Downer!!!!! (to paraphrase LVT2DVM)

I got into Minnesota and Wisconsin OOS and turned down an interview at Illinois. My 3.35 was from a small liberal arts school in the Midwest, I don't know if that made a difference or not.

Look on the successful applicants link for 2012 and you can find my stats and those of lots of last year's successful apps, you'll see that many of us had a 3.4 or less, so take heart!

Ok I promise to slap myself silly and keep my chin up.. And my fingers crossed and my toes, and wear my pj's backword. :)

:xf:

The last thing I wanna do is tell you how to feel, but this will be the 8th time Ive applied to vet school and my 7th consecutive application cycle.

hi lvt2dvm, just curious, have you done follow-up interviews to find out what the problem is?

LVT2DVM - I think I love you! You rock!! :D:D

Man, I'm gone for a couple of days, and the forums go on without me.:D

What LVT2DVM said.
Keep your chin up and don't make room for doubt or self-pity.

I'm doing the same thing she is (3 kids, 40+ hr work weeks, volunteering, etc...), and this is my second application cycle.

It takes a lot of determination to hang on and keep tweaking that application year after year. Just like it takes a lot of will power to get those kids up, dressed, and out of the door.

No, we don't have a lot of free time, but we make it work with the time we have.

Last edited:

Last edited:
And thanks Vegan, Im not really sure why you think "I rock" because most people think I am completely INSANE for even thinking about attempting vetschool at my age and with kids...including myself.

Actually, LVT2DVM, I think you are very inspirational and I second the "you rock" nomination. If anyone deserves it, it's you! :)

I 'third' the 'LVT2DVM rocks' statement. You are a great person who deserves to accomplish your dreams and NO one else can get in the way of that. Other people might call you insane, but they obviously don't understand the level of commitment you have put in and are willing to put into the career of your dreams.

I totally fourth that.. I've been here for like a week... and your posts definatly bring some je ne sais quoi to the thread.. :) I actually really don't know what I'm looking for I just fried my brain with guitar hero..

But I think you rock... and if your crazy.. then we all must be.. because it seems like a lot of us are busy little hamsters.. You just have 5 wheels to turn instead of 2.. idk.. like I said.. fried. :idea:

:oops: Awwww you guys are too sweet. Thanks for the votes of confidence, but really now, Id much rather hear about whats going on with you guys. so keep the interesting threads and good announcements coming! For fun check out what I posted in
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=588462

Raimes and everyone else here, I may have a lot of animal experience, a 3.85 gpa, and solid recommendations, but guess what my GRE score was. DRUMROLL............................................950...a f******* 950!!!! That kind of score leads to pretty much nowhere in vet schools yet I was granted an interview at Missouri and accepted to Ross, St. George's, and Edinburgh (and Edinburgh does not give two sh*** about standardized test scores!!!! I am not a good test taker as well and just look at me now.............crikets chirping in the background:confused: