Job Shadowing resident physicians?

prepremed18079

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore and have done 26 hours of job shadowing and found through not only that but also having a physician mentor and going to a high school pre-med camp that I LOVE medicine, and I can;t wait to be a doctor. I crave hospital hours and time to interact with patients, but all of my shadows have been with Attendings and I kind of want to see some crazy resident stuff. Do teaching hospitals allow students to shadow residents?

Members don't see this ad.

Define "crazy resident stuff"... Do you mean being super stressed out and smashing down like 10 doughnuts while on night float?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Tired on both sides of the equation here. Residents are not famous for their perspective on the continuum of the medical field, nor should they be -- it is an incredibly strenuous but transient period of the physician career arc. Stepping into their world out of context is a multidimensional culture shock that is likely to raise far more questions than answers. People go into medicine because they want to do the jobs that attendings do for 20-30 years, not because they want to be a PGY-2 general surgery resident assigned to the private service for the next 3 months, coming off night float last week and oh, man, my wife is pregnant and how can we afford to keep living in Midtown...

Those residency experiences are very real, and shape the personal story of every physician that passes through the crucible, but the act of taking a peek into their world to see some "crazy resident stuff" is probably going to do you a disservice. Also, real talk, residents are just trying to keep their heads above water much of the time -- a burnt cup of coffee on top of 4 admissions during short-call is enough to send many over the edge and into heaving sobs in the bathroom stall. Having an MS3 around is enough of a burden, let alone an eager student, regardless of how conscientious and earnest they may be.

If you are interested in seeing some serious medical stuff, then I would seek out some shifts in the Emergency Department. Seeing a few trauma codes (run by residents for the most part, at least until the bedside thoracotomy!) might give you what you're looking for, without diving in to the internecine world of residency. Medicine is amazing, but like anything, asking the right person at the wrong time could leave a very lasting but ultimately misleading impression.

Reactions: 1 users
Great advice by typhoonegator and the other posters. Bit random but I'm curious, what's a pre-med camp?

basically like a summer camp for high schoolers who are interested in health professions. they usually have various kinds of physicians come talk, practice H+Ps, suturing and the like...

Reactions: 1 user
basically like a summer camp for high schoolers who are interested in health professions. they usually have various kinds of physicians come talk, practice H+Ps, suturing and the like...
Awesome, wish there were more of those - early exposure to clinicians is a huge boon. (for most specialties, usually the FM docs tend to be a bit on the pessimistic side from my personal experience...)

Having an MS3 around is enough of a burden, let alone an eager student, regardless of how conscientious and earnest they may be.

To be quite honest...as a resident I probably would have preferred an unassuming HS/College student over the M3 who either a) constantly expected me to teach them something, b), somehow expected a level of "respect" for their time that I wasn't privy to and as such couldn't meet, c) thought my expectations for them were too high or that I was too overbearing, or d) was some aspiring radiologist or neurosurgeon who didn't understand why they needed 8 weeks of pediatrics and had a hard time hiding said attitude...or some combination of all 4.

Define "crazy resident stuff"... Do you mean being super stressed out and smashing down like 10 doughnuts while on night float?

I think there's something to be said for experiencing this part of medicine for a couple of weeks before it's forced upon a person for 3-5 years or more.

I would never ever want a high school student tagging along on one of my shifts. I have enough to worry about with the two chiefs and attending on my ass to care about or explain stuff to some kid who's 6 years out from even applying to med school. If you find some PGY willing to take you on, make sure you consider taking their hand in marriage because that man/gal is a saint.