Johns Hopkins?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopkins2010

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an application packet from JHU. I know that they are one of the schools using alternate procedures.

I was just about to mail out my AMCAS printout but I read the letter they sent me and it said: "we are pleased to inform you that we have received your application from AMCAS"

I'm assuming this is just a form letter from last year and misleading. Everybody else got the same letter even though their app hasnt been processed yet, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I received the Hopkins packet last week. . .before they instituted the alternate pathway approach. I would go ahead and submit the printed app.

Good luck.

OK, thats what I thought.

Also, I'm curious about something on their MD/PhD application.

It states: "Indicate which foreign languages you can read and level of proficiency. Language proficiency is a requirement in some graduate programs."

Are they stating that some programs (i.e. Anatomy, biomed engr, genetics, immunology) require you to speak a foreign language other than English? I've never heard of anything like this at any other school.

Members don't see this ad :)
That actually is a weird question they ask. I'm presuming they mean proficiency in the English language. Many graduate schools require such proficiency as it helps to have a command of English when presenting your work.

Andrew

No, it is for the other graduate programs in the humanities (ie - MD/PhD(in portugese language). I think they had a question like this for the Penn St. MD/PhD secondary.

Regards. :)

This is kind of a tangent on this thread, but I was just curious as to Hopkins' situation w/ the clinical trial disaster, and their status w/ federal funding and such. I designated them as a school on my AMCAS app, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to continue applying there.

Originally posted by Dr Krazy:
•This is kind of a tangent on this thread, but I was just curious as to Hopkins' situation w/ the clinical trial disaster, and their status w/ federal funding and such. I designated them as a school on my AMCAS app, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to continue applying there.•

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I would be especially affected because I'm applying to their MD/PhD program.

But, JHU is a long shot for me and I dont think that the funding directly for their MSTP program is affected.

here's the word from inside the hopkins lines (jhu ugrad, work in a lab at the med school). All humans subjects research got shut down while they went back and re-reviewed all the research proposals for studies currently underway. This was done as a precaution in response to the problems in the study with the healthy volunteer who died in a respiration study. Many drug-trial projects were back up within a couple days, and now many more projects which were not are urgent are gaining re-approval (my friends clinical study involving phone interviews got re-approved yesterday).

baylor, I do not think this would affect you in the md/phd program for a couple reasons. 1, your research will be in a basic science department, and thus it is unlikely that you will be working with human subjects (this shutdown was only for HUMAN research, my mice and rats were uneffected). 2, you will not be doing the research for another 2 years, after matriculation, 3 years from now.

anyways, hopkins research is still very much alive, I wish I could say the same for the woman who lost her life to the study. Also, I know similiar things have happened at Duke and other places in the last couple years, and I see no permanent effect on the quality of the med school, and research should only be better for having been shutdown.